PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Your honest assessment of the program

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:20, topic:1722”]NI, I actually would have loved to see Alexis on this years team. Peter has good hands and I think that would be a BIG help right now.

Next year’s team may not be as bad as we think.

1 Frazier, Lewis
2/3 Woodyard, Buie, Marhsall, Bowman, Travis
4 Graham, Sasa, Oliver
5 Ackerman, Alexis

Only problem is we will have 5 players with experience (assuming Buie comes back this year and stays next), and 7 newbies. At least the element of surprise would be there.[/quote]You willing to put a friendly wager on that ? Subtract #12, Brooks,DJ, AJ and probably Buie and tell me what we have left? I would love to see them surprise everyone and be half decent, but next year is setting up to be one of the worst years in PSU’s b10 history.

Gosh, I forgot to list Graham (left out the other freshmen too). Things are looking up already ;D

As for Georgia, Vern Fleming was their star point guard who led them to the Final Four. He went on to play for the US team in the 1984 Olympics, and had a nice dozen years or so in the NBA. Not sure about the other player for Georgia.

Next year’s team is set up to be AWFUL! As I have repeatedly posted, PSU is Battle and a touch of Brooks’ physical skill set and that is it, in comparison to the Big Ten opponents. I hate to be negative with my posts, but it is the truth. Where in the hell is the scoring going to come from next year? Who on this squad has BIG TEN ABILITIES? For those of you calling for Alexis to step in and be an immediate factor next year, forget about it! I already had one post removed in regards to my opinion of his chances to compete here, so I will tone it down and say that he will need several years to develop to be able to contribute at PSU, if he is given the option to stay for his entire career. I really, really, hope Ackerman can be somewhat serviceable sooner, rather than later. Buie is GONE, maybe sooner than people realize :wink:

[quote="jjepsu92, post:20, topic:1722"]NI, I actually would have loved to see Alexis on this years team. Peter has good hands and I think that would be a BIG help right now.

Next year’s team may not be as bad as we think.

1 Frazier, Lewis
2/3 Woodyard, Buie, Marhsall, Bowman, Travis
4 Graham, Sasa, Oliver
5 Ackerman, Alexis

Only problem is we will have 5 players with experience (assuming Buie comes back this year and stays next), and 7 newbies. At least the element of surprise would be there.[/quote]You willing to put a friendly wager on that ? Subtract #12, Brooks,DJ, AJ and probably Buie and tell me what we have left? I would love to see them surprise everyone and be half decent, but next year is setting up to be one of the worst years in PSU’s b10 history.

We don’t have squat left but we will have a bunch of kids busting their tails wearing the Blue & White who nobody knows what to expect out of them. Can’t be worst thatn last year where we had a lot of experience and pooped the bed.

Even if Peter redshirts he’ll be contributing just about as much as our 5 is now. What was the line last game 0 points, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls? Peter is big, physical and has good hands. Seen the kid play twice last year and I was impressed. The first game of the McGrane he picked up fouls early and rode the bench a good portion of the first half. The second game he watched his fouls and played a really good game. If I had to compare him to a PSU C we have seen I would say Ed Fogell.

…pretty much the same as most of you here, some mixture of depressed and frustrated. I’ll still watch every game that I can and DVR the ones that I can’t. I look forward to all the games (and dread them at the same time most years). It makes the winter go by faster, but my friends think I am one sick individual for being a PSU basketball follower. I’m debating on whether or not to make the Minnesota trip this year as I’ve never seen a game at The Barn, we’ll see how things go from now until March.

I also totally agree that if/when a coaching change is made, it needs to be a “big splash.” I’d like to see PSU take a risk with a big time assistant or a hot mid-major guy. Just get out of the same old coaching tree before we declare the program hopeless.

Even if Peter redshirts he’ll be contributing just about as much as our 5 is now. What was the line last game 0 points, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls? Peter is big, physical and has good hands. Seen the kid play twice last year and I was impressed. The first game of the McGrane he picked up fouls early and rode the bench a good portion of the first half. The second game he watched his fouls and played a really good game. If I had to compare him to a PSU C we have seen I would say Ed Fogell.
[/quote]

My assessment is that he would be better suited playing for one of the lower teams in the Am. East or CAA. With Sasa coming off an ACL and Graham being a project as well, I am really hoping Ackerman can contribute immediately.

You know, the one thing that is constant is change in the sport of college basketball. And that my friends is the beauty of it all. We can look at a roster of the team next year and want to light a match to it. But one never knows until you see the collection of “talent” on the court together. On paper, things look suspect. But last I checked they play games on hardwood, not paper.

The program is in a funk - at best.
The next three games will make a statement about the rest of this season.

Regarding next year…
-Four seniors start now - the pinnacle of ED’s deepest recruiting class - and are forecast to finish ninth.
-We just lost to a team that started three freshmen.
-Other than Frazier, Oliver, Sasa and Buie, there are no underclassmen contributing much.
-Buie???
-The incoming class is nice but has no known impact players.
-So, probably two more years before the next competitive team.

IMO, the program needs a bonafide recruiter/salesman as coach.

That being said “My team is on the floor.” no matter who the coach is now or later.

[quote="psubball, post:23, topic:1722"]Next year's team is set up to be AWFUL! As I have repeatedly posted, PSU is Battle and a touch of Brooks' physical skill set and that is it, in comparison to the Big Ten opponents. I hate to be negative with my posts, but it is the truth. Where in the hell is the scoring going to come from next year? Who on this squad has BIG TEN ABILITIES? For those of you calling for Alexis to step in and be an immediate factor next year, forget about it! I already had one post removed in regards to my opinion of his chances to compete here, so I will tone it down and say that he will need several years to develop to be able to contribute at PSU, if he is given the option to stay for his entire career. I really, really, hope Ackerman can be somewhat serviceable sooner, rather than later. Buie is GONE, maybe sooner than people realize ;)[/quote] Even if Peter redshirts he'll be contributing just about as much as our 5 is now. What was the line last game 0 points, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls? Peter is big, physical and has good hands. Seen the kid play twice last year and I was impressed. The first game of the McGrane he picked up fouls early and rode the bench a good portion of the first half. The second game he watched his fouls and played a really good game. If I had to compare him to a PSU C we have seen I would say Ed Fogell.
I've also got to see him play a few times and yes I think over time he will be able to contribute ,but anyone thinking next year he'll step in and be a big contributor is NUTS ;). The other thing that scares me with him is Ed's track record of recruiting/developing big men :'(

Ed’s never recruited anybody Peter’s size and who has been big all through HS. Peter has been a C all four years of HS. Not a Guard who hit a growth spurt. I haven’t been out to see him this year yet because the wife has been home, but she’ll be out on the road the next few weeks so maybe I will catch a game or two.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:20, topic:1722”]Next year’s team may not be as bad as we think.

1 Frazier, Lewis
2/3 Woodyard, Buie, Marshall, Bowman, Travis
4 Graham, Sasa, Oliver
5 Ackerman, Alexis

Only problem is we will have 5 players with experience (assuming Buie comes back this year and stays next), and 7 newbies. At least the element of surprise would be there.[/quote]
Not as bad as we think? What exactly are “we” thinking? That roster is an Iowa type roster.

You say only problem as if its not a big deal. Frazier is OKAY at best. Woodyard can’t hit a shot, Buie is a HUGE question mark, Marshall and Bowman don’t play, Graham is another question mark, how will Sasa come off his injury? Oliver an OKAY at best reserve player. Ackerman and Alexis are unproven.

Sorry to be negative, but that roster is a LOCK to finish dead last in the Big Ten next season – on paper. It would take a good or great coach to win with that team. I wish we had one of those.

I personally think we need a coaching change and that’s the same thing I’ve been saying for awhile. I can give a better assessment after the season is over.

Responding to my own topic here, but this is my honest opinion of this program and where it’s going.

The 2008-2009 team captured the hearts and minds of the Happy Valley faithful with their performance leading up to and including the NIT. Jamelle, Talor, Stanley and the kids were rock stars on campus. As a student who worked with the AD and worked so incredibly hard to increase student awareness, I was so happy to see the BJC full and rocking. It was vindication to see people care about the team like I did. Fast forward one year, and I was more down on the program than I ever have been. I felt that they ruined all of the good will and hard work done by Jamelle & co to make the 08-09 season happen. The fact that we were back to seeing an empty BJC with 500 hearty student souls was unacceptable to me. In fact, it was completely inexcusable…and the state of the program now falls squarely on Mr. Ed DeChellis.

I truly feel like the cycle has been started all over again. Curtains, losses to low-major programs on our home court, an afterthought in the Big 10 and last place finishes. Mark my words, the program (not the facilities)…the PROGRAM itself is in no better shape than it was back then. At least in the lean years we had the promise of Talor coming here and developing. Now, our big time point guard recruit decided to go and ply his talents for the incredibly mediocre Michigan Wolverines. That is a direct result of losing and the culture of failure surrounding our mens basketball program. I can no longer make excuses for a young team or the remnants of Jerry Dunn as a reason to why our program continues to lose games and fall further into irrelevancy. In fact, Ed actually has a leg up on JD, because he has significantly better facilities at his disposal. That is another reason which makes the state of our program completely inexcusable.

This is about as honest as I can get. For those in the AD or still at school that know me, they know how incredibly hard it is for me to say these things. Because to be honest, I believed in ED, his vision and the program from the end of 06 to the end of 09. I saw the kids improve, I saw a young program on the rise. Then, I saw it fall flat on its face and need rescuing. The program needs to be helped, it needs to be rescued. Mr. Ed DeChellis no longer deserves to be the head coach at this school.

If he is back next year (without a NCAA tournament berth), then I will have lost all faith in the Athletic Department of PSU. I will always be a die hard Penn State fan, I always want the team to win and I will always go to as many games as I can. I can no longer tolerate the state that this program is in. We are not going to the tournament this year…year 8 with Ed DeChellis at the helm. There are no more excuses, there is nothing more left to say. We have completely regressed to where we were 5 years ago. The program is a reflection of it’s head coach. Ours has lost it’s way.

In all honesty, I think this thread begins and ends with BleedPSU. Nothing more could or should be said unless the Nittany’s start winning, starting with tomorrow night.

Well said, Bleed.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:20, topic:1722"]Next year's team may not be as bad as we think.

1 Frazier, Lewis
2/3 Woodyard, Buie, Marshall, Bowman, Travis
4 Graham, Sasa, Oliver
5 Ackerman, Alexis

Only problem is we will have 5 players with experience (assuming Buie comes back this year and stays next), and 7 newbies. At least the element of surprise would be there.[/quote]
Not as bad as we think? What exactly are “we” thinking? That roster is an Iowa type roster.

You say only problem as if its not a big deal. Frazier is OKAY at best. Woodyard can’t hit a shot, Buie is a HUGE question mark, Marshall and Bowman don’t play, Graham is another question mark, how will Sasa come off his injury? Oliver an OKAY at best reserve player. Ackerman and Alexis are unproven.

Sorry to be negative, but that roster is a LOCK to finish dead last in the Big Ten next season – on paper. It would take a good or great coach to win with that team. I wish we had one of those.

I’m a HUGE homer, but I lean more towards noobd’s assessment than anything else.

I think Oliver is much more than a “reserve” player, but he sure is not the focus of a good team. I remember a Kurt Rambis quote, when he was a pioneer member of the expansion Charlotte Hornets in their first year, 1988. When asked about the team that was assembled, he said, “I think I may be the best player here, and that scares the h*ll out of me !!!”

We will be losing a MASSIVE amount of experience at the end of the year. I don’t know the exact numbers, but this year’s opening roster problably has around 300 starts, next year’s roster may have around 50.

…and we are not even touching on the other loss, COACHING STAFF. Yes, I think we will have a new head coach, perhaps a whole new system.

Next year is not looking good. Long term, perhaps we have talent. Braking in 3 brand new post players… not a good thing !!!

I don’t disagree with your end conclusions bleed, but I sure think you have a funny way of progressing emotionally.

And for the record - even though I’m thought of as one of the biggest defenders of Ed on here… I think what we’ll be left with next year is a team that will struggle to win even a single big10 game barring some huge changes to the leftover roster and incoming group of guys - perhaps a juco snag or something along those lines, which seems completely unlikely to impossible right now.

That of course, has a lot to do with the fact that Buie isn’t looking like he’ll be anywhere close to the same player that Battle was, at least not at Penn State. If we had a big time player to anchor these young guys to we could be in decent shape again 2 years from now, but ultimately we’ll look a lot like this team does without Battle on the court - a bunch of 3rd and 4th options and subpar athletes who try hard but just don’t have the talent to win down the stretch against big10 competition.

That’s why I’ve always said this is Ed’s make or break season - he earned it after the NIT run, but if he wasn’t able to take this program a step farther than that with all these seniors he doesn’t deserve anymore time… especially when we all know it would be yet another few seasons to get back in the post-season again. It was make or break this year and he’s as good as broken. :confused:

How so?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:37, topic:1722"]I don't disagree with your end conclusions bleed, but I sure think you have a funny way of progressing emotionally.[/quote]

How so?

You say you go from being the highest highs in the 2009 run to being lower on the program than you’ve ever been because of a disappointing year that followed? Just not sure how you get from one to the other so quickly, especially given what PSU basketball’s history looks like long-term.

I guess that’s the path a lot of fans have taken, but I think they’re a bit illogical about it too so that’s not really making much sense to me in that case either. Not sure how either was a super high or super low moment in the grand scheme of things, and as somebody who claims to have worked so closely with the athletics office you’d think you had a better recognition of this. 2009 was actually a bittersweet moment to be honest, while last year was just not all that surprising losing 2 of our key contributors to the 09 team’s trio.

I just struggle to follow the path some have taken in their hearts and minds to arrive as such a dark and dreary place - I don’t know if you’re all just super emotional or what, but it seems like the only way you could be so high OR so low is if you literally just started following the program 3 years ago.