PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Your honest assessment of the program

Just opening this up for discussion. We’re 8-5 and about to go through the toughest 5 game stretch in the country. What are your thoughts about our program, where it stands and where it is going…

Where is the program going? I think it’s going to Coumbus and then to Purdue, after the next 3 home games.

On a serious note, the next 3 games are tough, but at home. I will wait to give my opinion until after those 5 games.

It is going nowhere because year after year this team doesn’t defend.

I believe that these next few games will determine if we’ll have any post season opportunity. If we pull off an upset then I could see the team gain confidence to win enough games to make the NIT. However I think it’s more likely this stretch will be the start of a downward spiral and the depth issues will be the main culprit.

The state of this program can’t be determined until after these 5 games? Really? ::slight_smile:

7 seasons and 18 games or 236 games is generally regarded as the minimum amount of time needed to assess the state of any program.

Pretty simple, not sure why this is the time to take another evaluation of things… but it’s the same old story, we’re just several players short of a full team and will come up short in crunch time of most close games as a result.

[quote="noobd, post:5, topic:1722"]The state of this program can't be determined until after these 5 games? Really? ::)[/quote]

7 seasons and 18 games or 236 games is generally regarded as the minimum amount of time needed to assess the state of any program.

Its always a few more minutes, games, seasons…

My honest assessment of the program is that an NIT berth is the high water mark for the team this season. If we don’t make the postseason now it certainly won’t happen next season and may not happen for a couple of seasons. Looking at the recruits other Big Ten schools have lined up for 2011 and 2012 makes me come to grips with that reality. I can’t believe I am saying this and I know many of you will disagree with me, but I actually think the key to our season could be Buie. He has the most potential of any of our young players. If he returns (and that might be a big if) he has potential to average 10 points like Talor did his freshman year. Nothing so far has indicated he will score like that nor has he shown a desire to be great, but imagine what the team would be like if we could get 4 players to average double digits instead of the 3 we currently have.

program assessment - This year we can finish anywhere between 7th and 10th. BUT…next year we will be last again.
Over all assessment…Well…Iowa and IU have certainly had hard times. But, they should improve. Considering our future teams I would say PSU has now fallen below NW as the league’s worst program!
PSU does NOT have a strong fan base or a management interest level.

Honest assessment…my interest level is at an all-time low (going back 25 years and being a current season ticketholder). I was thoroughly behind the hiring of ED because he did good things before PSU and he was probably the one guy on the face of the earth that had PSU as his dream job…so if he succeeded, he would probably be around forever. But I think a change is needed and it needs to be a good hire, even if it means PSU is just a stepping stone. PSU needs to make some sorta splash with the next hire.

I fear that the football situation though will put (or should I say keep) bball on the rear burner for the next 12-24 months. I’m still rooting for the team and will continue to watch most games and hope for the best.

You may be right about Buie. Has it been announced whether or not he will be allowed to play in the Purdue game?

[quote=“GoSpikes, post:11, topic:1722”]Honest assessment…my interest level is at an all-time low (going back 25 years and being a current season ticketholder). I was thoroughly behind the hiring of ED because he did good things before PSU and he was probably the one guy on the face of the earth that had PSU as his dream job…so if he succeeded, he would probably be around forever. But I think a change is needed and it needs to be a good hire, even if it means PSU is just a stepping stone. PSU needs to make some sorta splash with the next hire.

I fear that the football situation though will put (or should I say keep) bball on the rear burner for the next 12-24 months. I’m still rooting for the team and will continue to watch most games and hope for the best.[/quote]

DITTO! The only difference being that I will not risk life and limb to attend games (3 hrs. round trip) during inclement weather like I used to foolishly do.

Right now, it is not very good. We are a very experienced, senior heavy team, and we can’t win easy games like Maine at home. Our performances against power conference opponents has been pretty poor (1-4). I’ve stated on FOS who I think our next head coach should be. I’m a firm believer that this program needs some sort of spark, and Chris Mooney from Richmond would provide that IMO.

Right now I would say the program is a ship with a hole in it.

Last year we were waiting for someone to step up with Talor and become a 2nd option. We had a fairly good spread of scoring 3 through 7, but no number 2 who could chip in 15 a game. Some nights we would get Chris, some DJ but not all the time.

This year we have a fairly good and consistant 3 scorers with Talor, DJ and Jeff but we aren’t getting squat out of guys 4 through 7. And DJ is an enigma. The kid scores 13 in the 1st half and 2 in the 2nd half. Maybe we should make him shower and change into a clean uniform at half time and tell him it’s a new game.

I really wish Ed would open up the minutes a little for Tre and Jermaine, hell just let them take some minutes from DJ and Talor because I don’t care what you say the kids were gassed at the end of the Michigan game. We are already limited in the frontcourt due to injuries, there is no reason to kill your guys with fatigue when you got two guys on the bench (1 who used his redshirt last year and the other who has already burned his redshirt by playing OOC games).

Honest assessment...my interest level is at an all-time low (going back 25 years and being a current season ticketholder). I was thoroughly behind the hiring of ED because he did good things before PSU and he was probably the one guy on the face of the earth that had PSU as his dream job...so if he succeeded, he would probably be around forever. But I think a change is needed and it needs to be a good hire, even if it means PSU is just a stepping stone. PSU needs to make some sorta splash with the next hire.

I fear that the football situation though will put (or should I say keep) bball on the rear burner for the next 12-24 months. I’m still rooting for the team and will continue to watch most games and hope for the best.

DITTO! The only difference being that I will not risk life and limb to attend games (3 hrs. round trip) during inclement weather like I used to foolishly do.

DITTO…DITTO…

(WARNING…PSUChamps08 type post to follow ;D)

I had an opportunity to travel to Ole Miss for the game over Thanksgiving, but decided against it. Five hours each way (with a stop to check out Tuscaloosa and the Auburn/Alabama pre-game festivities) and a busy work schedule aside. Years past, I would have jumped at the chance.

What’s good about these message boards and this one in particular is one can really get a feel about a program just by getting a sense of the board. I have sensed since that Ole Miss game, followed by the debacle vs the Terps, that most of us have been in a funk in regards to this program. There will always be the Lar followers believing that everything is fine and the Rokk followers who only surface after every loss or in Rokk’s case every 22 years, 22 months, 22 days…or so.

For the rest of us, we’re the bell weather. We are the ones who go with the tide, and right now it’s very low. Most of us, if not all of us, want the best for the Nittany’s in every contest and don’t necessarily tie every win or loss to the annoying “ED Watch”. And as Spikes and Bulldog have noted before me, our assessment is not pretty.

Can PSU beat Purdue on Wednesday…absolutely. Will it change our feeling toward the program…I say short term, yes…long term, no.

The problem is two fold…Internal and External. Internally, PSU and the Penn State sports community in general is football centric. Always has been, always will be. I sort of echo rwd5035 in saying that this program needs a spark, needs a coach who will come in and make a difference. I don’t want to turn this into an ED bashing post, because I truly like ED and have a lot of respect for the man for sticking with his guns all these years in trying to do the best job he humanly can under the guidelines he has to do it under. My only criticism has been that he coaches to win games, not to develop the team, as we’ve seen so far in conference this (and almost every) season, and as jjepsu92 just sort of pointed out.

And that brings me to the External issue. The Big Ten, The Big East, The Big Five and The Big Two. How is PSU supposed to be competitive in a league that has no less than eight basketball tradition rich programs, that are pretty much all clicking right now (save for Indiana and maybe Michigan). PSU is truly the outsider, as Nebraska will find out next year, when it comes to basketball schools and The Big Ten. So PSU needs to look somewhere else to get big-time recruits, if not in the Midwest. To the East (and southwest - Pitt/WVU) lies The Big East. Good luck. How about Philly? Big East and Big Five. And any major league recruits from in state (Henderson/Ellington/Popson/Lebo…you name the era, I’ll name the players) always have one more eye on UNC/Duke than they’ll ever have on PSU.

What does this all mean?..I haven’t a clue. (see, I told you this would be similar to a PSUChamps08 post ;D)

But I do know that PSU has a game tomorrow night against a darn good Purdue team. The house better be hopping. For these players deserve our continued support.

NI, liked that you named Popson in your last post. :wink:

I always felt Dave should have went to a smaller school and been a bigger fish in a smaller pond. But hey at the time when Dean Smith comes and hands you a jersey, you put it on. That is why I am really liking Peter Alexis. The kid knows that his chances to make it to the NBA are marginal even being a 17 year old who is 6’11", so what’s he doing, going to PSU to become an Engineer. He’ll get playing time at a program in the Big 10 and get his degree. If he makes the NBA great, if he doesn’t he has the sheepskin and one of the largest Alumni groups to fall back on.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:17, topic:1722”]NI, liked that you named Popson in your last post. :wink:

I always felt Dave should have went to a smaller school and been a bigger fish in a smaller pond. But hey at the time when Dean Smith comes and hands you a jersey, you put it on. That is why I am really liking Peter Alexis. The kid knows that his chances to make it to the NBA are marginal even being a 17 year old who is 6’11", so what’s he doing, going to PSU to become an Engineer. He’ll get playing time at a program in the Big 10 and get his degree. If he makes the NBA great, if he doesn’t he has the sheepskin and one of the largest Alumni groups to fall back on.[/quote]

With all this said, I have to agree with you on Alexis.

PSU is totally going to change over its roster (at least its Big Ten playing roster) next year. While people are already putting the Lions in 11th place, who knows what will happen when you have almost an entirely different roster on the court together. If the shoe fits, there might be some surprises. I know one thing… there will be a lot more height, which is never a bad thing in this game.

Frazier
Woodyard/Buie (if he stays - heck if any of these guys stay ???)
Bowman/Marshall
Oliver
Sasa/Alexis

Heck, Georgia made the Final Four the year after Dominique Wilkins left Athens. Puff, puff, pass.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:17, topic:1722"]NI, liked that you named Popson in your last post. ;)

I always felt Dave should have went to a smaller school and been a bigger fish in a smaller pond. But hey at the time when Dean Smith comes and hands you a jersey, you put it on. That is why I am really liking Peter Alexis. The kid knows that his chances to make it to the NBA are marginal even being a 17 year old who is 6’11", so what’s he doing, going to PSU to become an Engineer. He’ll get playing time at a program in the Big 10 and get his degree. If he makes the NBA great, if he doesn’t he has the sheepskin and one of the largest Alumni groups to fall back on.[/quote]

With all this said, I have to agree with you on Alexis.

PSU is totally going to change over its roster (at least its Big Ten playing roster) next year. While people are already putting the Lions in 11th place, who knows what will happen when you have almost an entirely different roster on the court together. If the shoe fits, there might be some surprises. I know one thing… there will be a lot more height, which is never a bad thing in this game.

Frazier
Woodyard/Buie (if he stays - heck if any of these guys stay ???)
Bowman/Marshall
Oliver
Sasa/Alexis

Heck, Georgia made the Final Four the year after Dominique Wilkins left Athens. Puff, puff, pass.

Can’t remember their names but Georgia had 2 other good players (besides Wilkins) who were about 6-6. A hoop friend of might scrimmaged them several times in their college years. He said Wilkins got hammered by the others two each time. BUT, Wilkins had the HOP Potential and sure became a wonderful pro.

NI, I actually would have loved to see Alexis on this years team. Peter has good hands and I think that would be a BIG help right now.

Next year’s team may not be as bad as we think.

1 Frazier, Lewis
2/3 Woodyard, Buie, Marshall, Bowman, Travis
4 Graham, Sasa, Oliver
5 Ackerman, Alexis

Only problem is we will have 5 players with experience (assuming Buie comes back this year and stays next), and 7 newbies. At least the element of surprise would be there.

I’m not commenting on the coach because anything short of NIT this year and I think that Ed is a cooked goose. If he stays I think we loose some kids, if he goes I bet we lose some recruits. Like it or not the recruits dig the family atmosphere he is selling.