PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Your expectations for next year?

So, at the beginning of last year I said that the 2010-2011 year was “tourney or bust” as far as ED as a head coach goes. ED succeeded and got our school back to the NCAA’s (finally). So he’s bought himself a few years to build up our squad…and seemed to nail a very solid transfer and decent recruiting class as well. Next year, we begin life without Talor, Drew, DJ and Jeff…basically a whole new starting 5 with the notable exception of Timmy. On the surface, this looks like a rebuilding year which could be quite painful at times. After some thought however, and the transfer of Juwon Staten to go with really solid recruits like Ross Travis and Trey Lewis…I do not think it is unreasonable to expect some form of post season basketball next year. The year after, I believe we should be a definite post season team with Staten on the floor.

NCAA tournament is probably very unlikely. However, I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility to expect a CBI/lower NIT seed next year. What are your thoughts on the team? Do you have any expectations for the them?

For purposes of optimal mental and emotional health, I have found that setting my expectations for Penn State basketball routinely as “low, but not despairing” works very well.

Def rebuilding year. Need some of the young Bigs to step up if we want to compete in the b10. Hopefully all the hype around Graham comes true. I think we need a shooter as well. I’m banking on Lewis to fill that role. Hopefully they can take baby steps next year and be pretty competitive by years end.

I’ll wait to answer this question once we’ve wrapped up this year’s recruiting class. Henton would be a big addition at this time and by all accounts a player who leaves it all on the court. We get a guy like that I believe we could make the NIT next year. And that is a good thing considering the peaks and valleys we’ve gone through.

[quote=“byake, post:4, topic:2352”]I’ll wait to answer this question once we’ve wrapped up this year’s recruiting class. Henton would be a big addition at this time and by all accounts a player who leaves it all on the court. We get a guy like that I believe we could make the NIT next year. And that is a good thing considering the peaks and valleys we’ve gone through.[/quote]NIT is possible but we will have to Win most of our OOC games. B10 is going to be tough sledding for this young team next year. Minus NW every team should be as good if not better. Michigan, Iowa, Indiana should all take another step forward next season.

This year’s senior class had one excellent athlete and one outstanding ballplayer and several average to good athletes. I believe the guys we have coming in and who will vie for playing time next year are bigger and better athletes with more upside. They might not be as good out of the gate as this year’s team, but I think by the end of the year they will be good. A lot of course depends on how our big guys do. I do think that with Tim Frazier and Trey Lewis, we will be very quick. I expect Graham to be better than Jeff Brooks eventually and I expect our bigs to better than Andrew Jones eventually. I think Sasa, Jermaine and Billy Oliver will be better than DJ and Billy this year. Overall, by the end of the season, barring injuries, we’ll be better, hopefully make the NIT and look forward to the following year.

NIT - that would by my definition of success next season. I always try to go a little high in the expectation department.

This is a bit much to expect.

I had been expecting next year to be a disaster, but Frazier improved so much through the season to give me some reason for a little bit of hope. I still think .500 and an NIT bid would be have to considered an amazing success. Sasa is the key to the season.

Graham might be able to put up better career numbers than Brooks, but it will be hard to be a better player than he was in the last half of his senior year.

I’m not going to fret much over losses in November and December if they help us get ready for the Big Ten season. I think this will be a team that will improve once they get to mid-season. If ED can post seven or more Big Ten wins next season, he’ll deserve Coach of the Year.

Let’s judge next season’s team on effort and improvement.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:10, topic:2352”]I’m not going to fret much over losses in November and December if they help us get ready for the Big Ten season. I think this will be a team that will improve once they get to mid-season. If ED can post seven or more Big Ten wins next season, he’ll deserve Coach of the Year.

Let’s judge next season’s team on effort and improvement. [/quote]
I agree entirely.

.500 record. An NIT berth would be nice. That would keep the momentum at a decent level. Recruiting and attendance might not take as big a hit.

I think Graham has the potential to be a better player than Brooks mainly because he has the benefit of a redshirt year. Jeff would have really benefitted from a redshirt year.

On paper, the team is worse than the team fielded after the NIT championship season. In reality, I’m hoping they post a better record.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:10, topic:2352"]I'm not going to fret much over losses in November and December if they help us get ready for the Big Ten season. I think this will be a team that will improve once they get to mid-season. If ED can post seven or more Big Ten wins next season, he'll deserve Coach of the Year.

Let’s judge next season’s team on effort and improvement. [/quote]
I agree entirely.

Absolutely.

A little success is a dangerous thing. We lose 4 different 4-year starters !!!

I posted a stat earlier showing aside from Timmy Frazier, the rest of the returning team combined would not have not matched the production of any ONE of those starters that we are losing.

This is the BIG TEN. You cannot come in with 4 brand new starters and expect any wins in the BIG TEN !!! Even Northwestern returns 4 of their 5 starters and their 2 leading bench contributors from a team that won 7 conference games.

We will have Timmy Frazier with 4 green youngsters starting. We have brand new bigs.

Wins will be very, very hard to come by. I say like zac and Evan Creg, we will need to judge next season on effort and improvement. Anything else will be a heartbreak.

I hope to enjoy next season without a lot of expectations. I like seeing new players. I will be looking for hustle and team play!

Since we have our last commitment I will comment. Like many of you have said I’m not really expecting much next year. It should be treated as a year of growth and development. I want to see the guys improve and play hard. If we can get to the NIT that’s great, but I’m not expecting that at this moment.

So we’re actually gonna fill all 13 scholarships next season. It seems like it’s been a couple years since that happened.

Staten is going to RS next year and I bet Ackerman does as well (or maybe Alexis)…point being I think Ed has 11 guys to use in his rotation. I’d love to see all of them get consistent minutes since we’re going to be so young but 11 seems like a lot. Hopefully Ed regularly plays 9 or 10 guys.

At the 1-3 positions I think Tim, Jermaine and Cam are locks to see minutes (at least early in the season). Also, I think Lewis and Travis will see minutes (especially later in the season). I’m hoping Bowman gives Ed reasons to put him on the court and who knows what to expect out of Glover, perhaps he spells Tim for a few minutes a game or perhaps he starts at either the 2 or 3. Who knows?

At the 4-5 I think Graham and Oliver will see a ton of minutes. If Sasa is healthy he’ll see a lot of minutes as well. Alexis (or Ackerman) might only see minutes when the other 3 bigs get into foul trouble (at least early in the season).

I think Tim is a lock to see 35 minutes per game but beyond that I think PT is wide open. Should be fun!

I will be surprised if ED goes that deep. He has never shown a desire to play deep into the bench. Once conference season rolls around I think you will still see only 7-8 in the rotation.

I am not sure if that is something he tries to do or just an indication that he hasn’t had anybody on the bench, because he hasn’t.