PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Young players = big stats

I was thinking about all the youth on this team. It goes back to last year’s team, which were playing significant minutes as freshmen. They ended up with some impressive career numbers, landing on many of the “Penn State All-Time Leaders” in several categories.

With so many games aghead for the current crop, and with the promise of an up-tempo style, they could find themselves on these lists as well.

Here are a few categories, and the people who hold benchmark positions in each…

10.) 1,369 Titus Ivory
20.) 1,091 Bob Weiss

REBOUNDS:
1.) 1,238 Jesse Arnelle
10.) 703 Jarrett Stephens
15.) 619 Tom Hovasse

ASSISTS:
1.) 600 Freddie Barnes
5.) 485 Tom Wilkinson
10.) 350 Ron Brown
15.) 258 Mike Walker

BLOCKS:
1.) 428 Calvin Booth
5.) 99 Carvin Jefferson
10.) 58 Tom Hovasse

STEALS:
1.) 252 Ron Brown
5.) 162 Dan Earl
10.) 129 Joe Crispin

I think Frazier is a shoe-in for Top 15 in Assists (now 246), probably Top 10, and perhaps Top 10 in Steals (now 58).

Top 20 Scoring does not seem out of reach for someone like Trey Lewis.
Top 10 Blocks does not seem very high, but I don’t see many shot blockers in this group.

What other predicitons are there for the players on this year’s squad?

Frazier assist total for is career will be definitely top ten, maybe even top 5 if can match his first 2 seasons out put. Travis is showing glimpse of being a nice rebounder so maybe top 15 as a career in PSU. Lewis could be the real stat sheet monster of the group. He is getting good minutes, already has a “pretty good” career high for points for a freshmen and with the style of defense that steals will be more prevelent. Lewis could be top 15 in points, top ten in stealsm and top 15 in assists.

One game in and we’re already labeling this guy top 15 all time. Holy premature **** Batman.

No one is catching Booth’s career blocks record.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:2, topic:2819"]Frazier assist total for is career will be definitely top ten, maybe even top 5 if can match his first 2 seasons out put. Travis is showing glimpse of being a nice rebounder so maybe top 15 as a career in PSU. Lewis could be the real stat sheet monster of the group. He is getting good minutes, already has a "pretty good" career high for points for a freshmen and with the style of defense that steals will be more prevelent. Lewis could be top 15 in points, top ten in stealsm and top 15 in assists.[/quote]

One game in and we’re already labeling this guy top 15 all time. Holy premature **** Batman.

Well Lewis is already on higher pace then the current all-time scoring leader at PSU. :wink:

Ok maybe this was a bad thread to start but some the PSU all-time statical leaders aren’t that high up in the greater basketball world. Frazier already is top 15 in assist at PSU with two full season (minus 2 games) to go. Baring any major injury, Tim could crack top ten in assists at PSU by season end.

You forgot all-time coaches wins. At this pace, Chambers could be Top 10 by the end of this season, no?

By year six, he’ll be challenging for the all-time leader in wins. :wink:

I agree with PSUdraw. relatively speaking, those all-time career totals are not very lofty.

Talor Battle played in 134 games. If we use 130 games as a guideline, here are the averages need to break into these career totals lists:

REBOUNDS:
15.) 619 Tom Hovasse =4.76 rpg

ASSISTS:
15.) 258 Mike Walker =1.99 apg

BLOCKS:
10.) 58 Tom Hovasse =0.47 bpg

STEALS:
10.) 129 Joe Crispin =0.99spg

If you start as a freshman, these numbers are very attainable with somewhat modest stats.

Thanks skeeza. You pointed out what I was trying to say with the numbers. 130 games could be debated as guildline number but doubt the averages change that much if it gets reduced to 125 games. We want more games played by the team anyhow, it means longer runs in the post season.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:2, topic:2819"]Frazier assist total for is career will be definitely top ten, maybe even top 5 if can match his first 2 seasons out put. Travis is showing glimpse of being a nice rebounder so maybe top 15 as a career in PSU. Lewis could be the real stat sheet monster of the group. He is getting good minutes, already has a "pretty good" career high for points for a freshmen and with the style of defense that steals will be more prevelent. Lewis could be top 15 in points, top ten in stealsm and top 15 in assists.[/quote]

Well Lewis is already on higher pace then the current all-time scoring leader at PSU. :wink:

That’s true. I almost posted that the other day. Kidding aside, Skeeza’s onto something. Talor got a break, in a sense, when Geary got hurt. Prior to that, the ball always went through Geary on offense. When he was out, it became a different show. Talor and Stanley benefitted greatly minutewise. Then Cornley got hurt late that season. When you throw newbies in the lion’s den, some guys really step up. It seems Trey might be that kind of guy, IMO. Anybody that can score like he did in HS, shows a certain toughness, and the first game, a good start. I haven’t followed Trey Burke recently, but I think PSU got the better kid. Burke’s dad was a jerk. Predicting his kid, who had yet to play a college game was better than Talor? Poor judgment, IMO. I mean PSU’s starting pg? You think his dad’s saying that vis a vis any of UM’s player’s? Better off not having a parent in the picture like that. Let the kid play and prove themself sans interfering parent.

That’s true. I almost posted that the other day. Kidding aside, Skeeza’s onto something. Talor got a break, in a sense, when Geary got hurt. Prior to that, the ball always went through Geary on offense. When he was out, it became a different show. Talor and Stanley benefitted greatly minutewise. Then Cornley got hurt late that season. When you throw newbies in the lion’s den, some guys really step up. It seems Trey might be that kind of guy, IMO. Anybody that can score like he did in HS, shows a certain toughness, and the first game, a good start. I haven’t followed Trey Burke recently, but I think PSU got the better kid. Burke’s dad was a jerk. Predicting his kid, who had yet to play a college game was better than Talor? Poor judgment, IMO. I mean PSU’s starting pg? You think his dad’s saying that vis a vis any of UM’s player’s? Better off not having a parent in the picture like that. Let the kid play and prove themself sans interfering parent.

Kid I did that as just fun jab but you definitely seems to be in Lewis corner already. I hope you get to watch a game with in him soon so you can get your eyeball test with him. He isn’t Talor clone but he could be the next really good one in PSU guard legacy.

Kid I did that as just fun jab but you definitely seems to be in Lewis corner already. I hope you get to watch a game with in him soon so you can get your eyeball test with him. He isn’t Talor clone but he could be the next really good one in PSU guard legacy.

When you say “next”, I assume you mean following Frazier. We could have a nice run of guards coming here every other year. Talor in '07, Frazier in '09, Lewis in '11, Thorpe in '13. Which current 9th grader will be on campus in the fall of '15?

Kid I did that as just fun jab but you definitely seems to be in Lewis corner already. I hope you get to watch a game with in him soon so you can get your eyeball test with him. He isn't Talor clone but he could be the next really good one in PSU guard legacy.

When you say “next”, I assume you mean following Frazier. We could have a nice run of guards coming here every other year. Talor in '07, Frazier in '09, Lewis in '11, Thorpe in '13. Which current 9th grader will be on campus in the fall of '15?

I definitely do mean following Frazier. After all I did say frazier could be top 5 in assists in PSU history when career is done. I thought Frazier could be an all Big Ten caliber guard this seaon but with the young cast, he would have to be like Talor and carry the whole load. So far I am already seeing that he is definitely in the all Big Ten caliber but he does have people that will help. Will it be consitent help every night is the question…