PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Wow - great post from Pitt board

In defense of Jamie Dixon (can you imagine!!?!), someone named Captain Sidney Reilly has [url=http://Pittsburgh.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=538&tid=156580984&mid=156580984&sid=996&style=2]a great post over on the Pitt board[/URL].

We being the rational actors I thought we are, I assumed there would be some calling for Dixon’s head.

That is a great post. Dixion didn’t have luxury of the stepping stone school so he has cut his dance teeth at a established program so it seems long but he seems right on track. I think he just needs to hit on that one good NBA prospect recruit like Blair to pop him into Final Four area.

Interesting quote in his post.

In any event, I have concluded it takes about 4 to 8 years for Coaches to reach the Final Four IF they inherit a viable historical program with past success. It takes about 8 to 15 years for Coaches to build a successful program at schools not known for Basketball.

I thought that Smizik hits it pretty good in his blog today. Pitt probably overachieves during the regular season. They are not a team loaded with NBA talent. They are usually a group that plays a good team game.

In a one and done tournament a single player can strap a team on his back and carry them to victory in a couple of games.

I used to say this about the Flyers but it may apply to Pitt Hoops as well. They both rely on their toughness and physical play to rack up w’s in the regular season. However, when they get to post-season, everyone else can take the physical part of their game up a notch, but you can’t take speed/skill up a level the same way. Therefore, the other teams close the gap on your advantage, while your comparative disadvantage in skill cannot likewise close up.

Therefore, a team like Pitt (or the Flyers) will always do better in the regular season then in a playoff. MSU is sort of the exception to this rule, but Izzo seems to be able to find a guy (or maybe coach-up a guy??) who steps up their skill level in March. Of course, he had no such player this year.

Dixon’s a great coach… maybe too good for his own good. When you’re already getting 100%, there’s no other gear you can drop into.

That post is longer that that one guy who posts here sometimes (what’s his moniker?). I never knew that about John Wooden. Although I’m going to go out on a limb and say that other schools were doing the same. Doesn’t make it right. But it does level the playing field some.

[quote=“MarkH, post:5, topic:2224”]I used to say this about the Flyers but it may apply to Pitt Hoops as well. They both rely on their toughness and physical play to rack up w’s in the regular season. However, when they get to post-season, everyone else can take the physical part of their game up a notch, but you can’t take speed/skill up a level the same way. Therefore, the other teams close the gap on your advantage, while your comparative disadvantage in skill cannot likewise close up.

Therefore, a team like Pitt (or the Flyers) will always do better in the regular season then in a playoff. MSU is sort of the exception to this rule, but Izzo seems to be able to find a guy (or maybe coach-up a guy??) who steps up their skill level in March. Of course, he had no such player this year.

Dixon’s a great coach… maybe too good for his own good. When you’re already getting 100%, there’s no other gear you can drop into.[/quote]

Agree with you. Didn’t know how to say it, but you hit the nail on the head. Pitt is very workmanlike in grinding through teams during the regular season. Seem to be able to wear teams down sometimes. In the tourney, energy levels are up and that gap is closed. Sort of like a running QB during the regular season in the NFL typically is OK, but in the playoffs, the Dline gives that little extra effort to make that facet of the game a non-issue.

[quote=“JakkL, post:3, topic:2224”]Interesting quote in his post.

[quote]In any event, I have concluded it takes about 4 to 8 years for Coaches to reach the Final Four IF they inherit a viable historical program with past success. It takes about 8 to 15 years for Coaches to build a successful program at schools not known for Basketball.
[/quote][/quote]

Shaka Smart must have started his head coaching when he was about 17 :wink:

Wooden’s players were paid for years. Everyone was so enamored with his gentlemanly ways that they wouldn’t say anything. Except for Bob Knight.

I don’t know anything about that analysis, just thought the stuff he gathered was interesting.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:2224”]In defense of Jamie Dixon (can you imagine!!?!), someone named Captain Sidney Reilly has [url=http://Pittsburgh.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=538&tid=156580984&mid=156580984&sid=996&style=2]a great post over on the Pitt board[/URL].

We being the rational actors I thought we are, I assumed there would be some calling for Dixon’s head.[/quote]

Ack! Our fearless leader is reading Pitt boards!

[quote=“tjb, post:9, topic:2224”]Wooden’s players were paid for years. Everyone was so enamored with his gentlemanly ways that they wouldn’t say anything. Except for Bob Knight.

I don’t know anything about that analysis, just thought the stuff he gathered was interesting.[/quote]
I thought the Shark had things to say about Wooden as well.

[quote="tjb, post:9, topic:2224"]Wooden's players were paid for years. Everyone was so enamored with his gentlemanly ways that they wouldn't say anything. Except for Bob Knight.

I don’t know anything about that analysis, just thought the stuff he gathered was interesting.[/quote]

Tarkanian was especially vocal, yes. Of course, he had his own axe to grind.

Or, towel to gnaw

[quote="tjb, post:9, topic:2224"]Wooden's players were paid for years. Everyone was so enamored with his gentlemanly ways that they wouldn't say anything. Except for Bob Knight.

In some regards I think his gripe was legit. NCAA enforcement never seems to be consistant. Big time programs that commit big time sins get slapped while smaller programs get hammered.

In some regards I think his gripe was legit. NCAA enforcement never seems to be consistant. Big time programs that commit big time sins get slapped while smaller programs get hammered.

Wasn’t Tark quoted often and I’m paraphrasing obviously…
“Every time (insert big-time school name) does something wrong (insert small conference school) goes on probation”.

Or I’m just having another brain cramp… :smiley:

[quote=“Speed, post:15, topic:2224”]Wasn’t Tark quoted often and I’m paraphrasing obviously…
“Every time (insert big-time school name) does something wrong (insert small conference school) goes on probation”.

Or I’m just having another brain cramp… :D[/quote]

If so, we’re having the same brain cramp. I remember “The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they are really going to nail Cleveland State”.

– off to google to confirm — OK, I’m back ----

Well, here’s the quote: “The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it’s going to give Cleveland State two more years’ probation.”

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5242104

Good find Oz. Thanks for bailing me out.
That’s it all right.

I tried a while back to find this quote in a similar context but couldn’t.

You’ve got the Google moves down better than yours truly. :smiley:

So essentially Jim Tressel is the modern day John WOoden. Highly successful coach that has a very neat and clean image and looks the other way and the key is, doesn’t want to know that his players are getting paid.