Would you rather be Kentucky or Cornell?

Watching the Kty/Cornell game last night it struck me… The 'cats have 3 freshman who, no doubt, will never sniff a graduation ceremony. Most of the team seems like “hired hands” who are there for 1 year, win a few games, and cash in a big NBA contract.

Cornell never gets this far, but they’re all real students and will graduate. Looked a lot like our own sweet 16 run.

The bottom line is, if WE had Wall & Co. and rode them to the final 4, would you want that? Would you feel the same pride in the school? Would it be “worth it?” to have a line-up like that?

My vote is no… I want those things, but I want them the right way, and I’d rather have a program where a sweet 16 run is like a final 4 because it’s done the “right way”.

What are your thoughts???

I would go with the Kentucky option. I don’t know how you can pass up on NBA level talent (even if it’s for 1 year) and a chance at winning the whole thing. Give me Kentucky’s roster with Cornell’s coach. I’ve never cared much for Cal (wish John would have choked him out back in the day)

Cornell. Not only does KY have kids that won’t sniff graduation, but they probably didn’t really graduate HS, or at least not have acceptable SAT’s. My bet is that KY will be on probation in a few years. In Calipari, the leopard(or wildcat) can’t change his spots. I’ve heard Calipari say kids choose his programs cause they like his style of wide open play. BS. Derrick Rose had SAT’s go from 700 or so to 1100. One school said there was too much of a discrepancy, and they couldn’t admit him. Memphis had no problem with it. I’m not sure exactly why Memphis was on probation, whether or not this was the issue. Not sure if Memphis was involved in Rose getting someone else to take his SAT’s, but doesn’t seem like something a kid could figure out himself, without some egging on by an enthusiastic rules flouting coach.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:3, topic:1048”]Cornell. Not only does KY have kids that won’t sniff graduation, but they probably didn’t really graduate HS, or at least not have acceptable SAT’s. My bet is that KY will be on probation in a few years. In Calipari, the leopard(or wildcat) can’t change his spots. I’ve heard Calipari say kids choose his programs cause they like his style of wide open play. BS. Derrick Rose had SAT’s go from 700 or so to 1100. One school said there was too much of a discrepancy, and they couldn’t admit him. Memphis had no problem with it. I’m not sure exactly why Memphis was on probation, whether or not this was the issue. Not sure if Memphis was involved in Rose getting someone else to take his SAT’s, but doesn’t seem like something a kid could figure out himself, without some egging on by an enthusiastic rules flouting coach.[/quote]I like the talent level on Kentucky but can’t stand Coach Cal. Seems to be one of the biggest dirtballs out there. Every school he’s at ends up on probation or some type of trouble. Kentucky made it clear they want one thing and one thing only. To WIN.

+1

I think there is plenty of happy ground in the middle!

Sorry for dodging the question.

That’s the kicker. With Cornell’s coach, you cannot have Kentucky’s roster.

[quote="battlesway2, post:2, topic:1048"]I would go with the Kentucky option. I don't know how you can pass up on NBA level talent (even if it's for 1 year) and a chance at winning the whole thing. [b]Give me Kentucky's roster with Cornell's coach.[/b] I've never cared much for Cal (wish John would have choked him out back in the day)[/quote]

What if Donahue was at Kentucky? He might have a few more options in the recruiting world. His hands are somewhat tied at Cornell ;).

[quote="battlesway2, post:2, topic:1048"]I would go with the Kentucky option. I don't know how you can pass up on NBA level talent (even if it's for 1 year) and a chance at winning the whole thing. [b]Give me Kentucky's roster with Cornell's coach.[/b] I've never cared much for Cal (wish John would have choked him out back in the day)[/quote]

Look at the kid Oklahoma St. got a few years back. He was inked to UNC, but then was busted in a cocaine deal. UNC pulled the schollie, and OK St. took him. When you have schools take kids like that, just maybe they’re bending the rule on grades. :wink: I can’t imagine that kid was a good student. Of course, in OK St’s. case, you have a former coach busted for drug trafficking. NCAA needs some backbone on grades.

battlesway, Skeeza’s right. This KY roster might not qualify academically for most schools. Cal makes it so easy, that’s why he gets so many top kids. He’s a fixer. That’s what he’s good at. He was a major bust in the pros, as was Pitino. Terrible, as bad as you get. Pitino tried full court pressing in the pros. It was a joke, as pro guards had no trouble at all beating it. Why is Cal even permitted to coach? Memphis is still fighting vacated 38 win season. I think they just lost. He’s a disaster.

Did anyone see Donahue’s pregame speech? Lame! “We’re going to be the best loose ball team in the country”. No passion or fire at all. I don’t know how he expected his kids to go out and perform after that stinker of a speech. :wink: ;D

I’d go for the Cornell approach. Kentucky may win national championships, but to me, such championships will always be stained with the indifference of its MBB program toward the university’s mission. I don’t care how much you and I desire to be entertained and bask in the reflective glow of our favorite team’s athletic success, a university’s teaching, research and outreach is waaaay more important.

I think Penn State MBB can more competitive and more successful and stay within its mission values, but maybe we will never play in the Final Four due to our unwillingness to “play the game” the way Kentucky, Memphis and some others play it. So be it. Winning tastes better when you achieve it the right way with the right people.

[quote=“tundra, post:6, topic:1048”]I think there is plenty of happy ground in the middle!

Sorry for dodging the question.[/quote]This is the safe way to vote. I side with this one. :wink:

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:11, topic:1048”]I’d go for the Cornell approach. Kentucky may win national championships, but to me, such championships will always be stained with the indifference of its MBB program toward the university’s mission. I don’t care how much you and I desire to be entertained and bask in the reflective glow of our favorite team’s athletic success, a university’s teaching, research and outreach is waaaay more important.

I think Penn State MBB can more competitive and more successful and stay within its mission values, but maybe we will never play in the Final Four due to our unwillingness to “play the game” the way Kentucky, Memphis and some others play it. So be it. Winning tastes better when you achieve it the right way with the right people. [/quote]

The graduation rates of all the tournament teams were advertised in the papers (shows how old I am) just before the start.

Maryland had the lowest, at somewhere close to 8%

ideally, Rather be Cornell in the sweet 16 than KY in the final 8. Rather be either one than in our current state.

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:1048"]I think there is plenty of happy ground in the middle!

Sorry for dodging the question.[/quote]This is the safe way to vote. I side with this one. :wink:

I can go with this. I don’t want a roster loaded with one and done players. But I’d love a roster with NBA caliber players – even if they only play 3 years. With one and done players, I don’t think I’d enjoy it as much. Part of why I love PSU hoops is because most players are here for 4 years or even 5 and we get to know them as people. And a lot of them continue to come back after graduation. So it’s a family type atmosphere. UNC does well without loading up on too many one and done types. Let’s use that as a model. :wink:

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:1048"]I think there is plenty of happy ground in the middle!

I can go with this. I don’t want a roster loaded with one and done players. But I’d love a roster with NBA caliber players – even if they only play 3 years. With one and done players, I don’t think I’d enjoy it as much. Part of why I love PSU hoops is because most players are here for 4 years or even 5 and we get to know them as people. And a lot of them continue to come back after graduation. So it’s a family type atmosphere. UNC does well without loading up on too many one and done types. Let’s use that as a model. :wink:

one and done is not really that common. the nba draft is only 2 rounds long, and quite a few guys are from other countries and didn’t go to any US college. So this idea that good basketball schools are loading up with one and done NBA caliber players isn’t reality. It only applies to a handful of guys each year.

Also - as for players staying at PSU for 4 years, that is true except when they transfer, and I think we’ve had more than 10 under Ed.

one and done is not really that common. the nba draft is only 2 rounds long, and quite a few guys are from other countries and didn’t go to any US college. So this idea that good basketball schools are loading up with one and done NBA caliber players isn’t reality. It only applies to a handful of guys each year.

Also - as for players staying at PSU for 4 years, that is true except when they transfer, and I think we’ve had more than 10 under Ed.

The only one and done on Kentucky is probably Wall. Cousins is a maybe.

Wall is so awesome. He makes everything look so easy out there. Looked like he was playing at half speed last night and he was still the best player on the court.

[quote=“hoops19, post:18, topic:1048”]Wall is so awesome. He makes everything look so easy out there. Looked like he was playing at half speed last night and he was still the best player on the court.[/quote]Yeah I’m hoping the Sixers continue to stink it up and get some more ping pong balls. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Wall or Turner.

[quote="hoops19, post:18, topic:1048"]Wall is so awesome. He makes everything look so easy out there. Looked like he was playing at half speed last night and he was still the best player on the court.[/quote]Yeah I'm hoping the Sixers continue to stink it up and get some more ping pong balls. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Wall or Turner.

I’ve been talking up Turner here in the office. With Holliday and Turner as the backcourt of the future, maybe they playoffs would be a reality within two years. Of course I’m assuming Wall won’t be available unless we get lucky with the draw.