Would you be content?

I’ve heard several names floated around recently about for potentially using up the three open scholarships we have available for next year. Would you be content if we gave our open scholarships to these guys:

1. Dwight McCombs - 6’8" PF - JUCO - reportedly has interest from other BCS schools
  2. Antonio Bumpus - 6’3" SG - JUCO - reportedly shoots 3s at a decent clip
  3. Majok Majok - 6’7" PF - Freshman - can dunk on little people

Not sure how much any of them would contribute next year. I imagine McCombs would have a decent chance to be in regular rotation and if Bumpus can hit the three then he could probably see minutes as well. Maybe Majok gets a redshirt? Just speculating. What do you think?

I tend to be in the “scholarships filled is better than not filled at all” boat. Maybe one of these players (Majok?) is a diamond in the rough. If the 'ships aren’t used, PSU would have what… 7 open the following year? Babb, Edwards, Ott, Battle, Brooks, Jackson, Jones would all be gone / open scholarship slots. Add Alexis and Burke for the incoming class, and thats 5 open scholarships for one class. Kind of unbalanced. Not to mention Oliver is a huge question mark.

Hindsight is going to be 20/20 on this one. But I think we should try to scoop up whatever scraps are left.

You fill them if the guys can contribute at some point during their time at PSU. We’ll have 4 more ships available next year. No reason to hold anything until then unless there isn’t anyone we want left.

I would say he needs to fill now. A repeat of last season and Ed’s job is probably on the line. Without some kind of help besides Taran it looks like a repeat could be right around the corner.

A repeat of last season and Ed’s job is probably over, not “on the line”. Filling a void is sub-optimal at this point, he needs to find players who are going to contribute next season. There is already a lot of “void filling” being done by some of the non-starters on the remaining roster.

[quote="battlesway2, post:4, topic:1042"]I would say he needs to fill now. A repeat of last season and Ed's job is probably on the line. Without some kind of help besides Taran it looks like a repeat could be right around the corner.[/quote]

A repeat of last season and Ed’s job is probably over, not “on the line”. Filling a void is sub-optimal at this point, he needs to find players who are going to contribute next season. There is already a lot of “void filling” being done by some of the non-starters on the remaining roster.

Who knows with Curley calling the shots. Yeah I do agree they have a lot of other holes besides the departing players,but those 3 ships almost have to be used. Whether it’s a freshmen or JC’s Ed has to try anything at this point. Seriously what does he have to lose

Yes on McCombs, don’t know enough about the other guys. Easier to take a chance on the Jucos. I’m not sold on Majok, but I’m no scout.

I’m choice whatever is ‘fill some, not all’. I have very little faith in this staff to find (and convince) 3 Big Ten quality players to come here at this point in time. They need to be selective and not panic. They’ve wasted too many scholarships in their regime.

I would take McCombs and/or Majok though. Majok, if you do some research on him, isn’t just a dunk machine. Look what he did in the recent prep tourney the staff reportedly saw him at. He dropped 27 points on Hargrave, who was previously undefeated. He also made some slick moves and abused some of Hargrave’s bigs (who are going to Rice/Tulane). He really needs a left hand, though. But the guy has the mentality/athleticism of a banger, who quite honestly, we don’t have. He might not be an immediate contributor but he SHOULD be able to become a solid player down the line, IF he’s developed.

McCombs just looks like a monster, at least physically. The guy is ripped. Throw in the fact that Herb Sendek and Tubby Smith wants him…

[quote=“eric17, post:8, topic:1042”]I’m choice whatever is ‘fill some, not all’. I have very little faith in this staff to find (and convince) 3 Big Ten quality players to come here at this point in time. They need to be selective and not panic. They’ve wasted too many scholarships in their regime.
I would take McCombs and/or Majok though. Majok, if you do some research on him, isn’t just a dunk machine. Look what he did in the recent prep tourney the staff reportedly saw him at. He dropped 27 points on Hargrave, who was previously undefeated. He also made some slick moves and abused some of Hargrave’s bigs (who are going to Rice/Tulane). He really needs a left hand, though. But the guy has the mentality/athleticism of a banger, who quite honestly, we don’t have. He might not be an immediate contributor but he SHOULD be able to become a solid player down the line, IF he’s developed.

McCombs just looks like a monster, at least physically. The guy is ripped. Throw in the fact that Herb Sendek and Tubby Smith wants him…[/quote]Don’t you think this may be their last time to waste scholarships? No reason to hold back

We could hope, but it sure doesn’t seem like Ed is worried about job security and is desperate. He’s ‘staying the course’.

Also, I’m of the opinion that we really aren’t that far away from our NCAA goals next year. We certainly could use some more help, but I don’t think we’re desperate. Disagree if you choose.

[quote=“eric17, post:8, topic:1042”]I’m choice whatever is ‘fill some, not all’. I have very little faith in this staff to find (and convince) 3 Big Ten quality players to come here at this point in time. They need to be selective and not panic. They’ve wasted too many scholarships in their regime.

McCombs just looks like a monster, at least physically. The guy is ripped. Throw in the fact that Herb Sendek and Tubby Smith wants him…[/quote]

Did Sasa do the same?

Sasa isn’t even in the same league athletically.

I think we HAVE to use the ships this year. I would prefer a big PF/C JUCO, a 2/3 JUCO and a freshman PF/C (somebody who could redshirt if need be, but I would rather a contributor even if only rpg).

It would be preferred to use them this year. But you can’t use them just for the sake of using them. Can’t afford to waste ships. In the end, that can set you back more than holding them a year. You seem to have the same opinion I have of what we need.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:13, topic:1042"]I think we HAVE to use the ships this year. I would prefer a big PF/C JUCO, a 2/3 JUCO and a freshman PF/C (somebody who could redshirt if need be, but I would rather a contributor even if only rpg).[/quote]

It would be preferred to use them this year. But you can’t use them just for the sake of using them. Can’t afford to waste ships. In the end, that can set you back more than holding them a year. You seem to have the same opinion I have of what we need.

Like I said, I think we need to use them on guys who fill a need. One of the needs is rebounds. It would be nice to get some Windex guys and a guy that could fire away from 3.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:13, topic:1042"]I think we HAVE to use the ships this year. I would prefer a big PF/C JUCO, a 2/3 JUCO and a freshman PF/C (somebody who could redshirt if need be, but I would rather a contributor even if only rpg).[/quote]

Like I said, I think we need to use them on guys who fill a need. One of the needs is rebounds. It would be nice to get some Windex guys and a guy that could fire away from 3.

Not to suggest that rebounding isn’t important but it was one of the strengths of this team - particularly on the defensive boards. We were actually the #1 ranked team in the country in defensive rebounding percentage. If we were to get a “windex” guy, chances are he would just be taking rebounds away from our own guys. This team has a lot bigger needs than more rebounding.

Not to suggest that rebounding isn’t important but it was one of the strengths of this team - particularly on the defensive boards. We were actually the #1 ranked team in the country in defensive rebounding percentage. If we were to get a “windex” guy, chances are he would just be taking rebounds away from our own guys. This team has a lot bigger needs than more rebounding.

I agree but maybe if our bigs were getting rebounds our guards could get out an run a jail break. I would like to see someone lead our team in rpg’s other than Talor. Although I think it is great that our guards rebound, I would rather see a big lead the team in this category.

I agree but maybe if our bigs were getting rebounds our guards could get out an run a jail break. I would like to see someone lead our team in rpg’s other than Talor. Although I think it is great that our guards rebound, I would rather see a big lead the team in this category.

Not to disparage Talor, but a big reason why he leads the team in rebounds is because he’s on the floor for so many minutes. On a rebound per minute basis, he’s way down - although ahead of all the other guards.

Player Min Reb RPM Reb/40min 41 Steve Kirkpatrick.. 13 4 0.31 15.4 35 Billy Oliver....... 24 6 0.25 12.5 11 Bill Edwards....... 417 86 0.21 10.3 22 Andrew Jones....... 770 158 0.21 10.3 54 Andrew Ott......... 306 57 0.19 9.3 25 Jeff Brooks........ 736 129 0.18 8.8 21 Sasa Borovnjak..... 123 20 0.16 8.1 15 Jackson, David (DJ) 938 140 0.15 7.5 12 Talor Battle....... 1146 165 0.14 7.2 23 Tim Frazier........ 570 72 0.13 6.3 10 Chris Babb......... 920 99 0.11 5.4 24 Cammeron Woodyard.. 210 18 0.09 4.3 14 Adam Highberger.... 52 1 0.02 1.0

Not to disparage Talor, but a big reason why he leads the team in rebounds is because he’s on the floor for so many minutes. On a rebound per minute basis, he’s way down - although ahead of all the other guards.

Player Min Reb RPM Reb/40min 41 Steve Kirkpatrick.. 13 4 0.31 15.4 35 Billy Oliver....... 24 6 0.25 12.5 11 Bill Edwards....... 417 86 0.21 10.3 22 Andrew Jones....... 770 158 0.21 10.3 54 Andrew Ott......... 306 57 0.19 9.3 25 Jeff Brooks........ 736 129 0.18 8.8 21 Sasa Borovnjak..... 123 20 0.16 8.1 15 Jackson, David (DJ) 938 140 0.15 7.5 12 Talor Battle....... 1146 165 0.14 7.2 23 Tim Frazier........ 570 72 0.13 6.3 10 Chris Babb......... 920 99 0.11 5.4 24 Cammeron Woodyard.. 210 18 0.09 4.3 14 Adam Highberger.... 52 1 0.02 1.0

I’m surprised Tim outrebounded Babb on a per minute basis.

A lot of it has to do with ED rebounding strategy. He seems to really believe in team rebounding. The G’s aren’t looking to run. They collapse to rebound. I don’t know if it is because that is the way ED feels like they have to play or how he wants to play. In my opinion it is ED’s preferred approach.