Would PSU ever pull a kids scholarship?

0-10 says it all. Does anybody think that PSU can turn it around and finish 8-8 next year? IMO Buie would have to be an incredible freshman. Other than Edwards, I don’t see anybody with the potential of giving us an inside scoring threat.

I realize that its a pretty ugly statement, but several juniors seem to have limited potential. Its painful to think that PSU is two years away from having a scholarship to give. Would the staff ever pull a kid’s scholarship so that they could go out and fill a critical need sooner?

I don’t think they’d ever pull one in the true sense of the word (like telling Woodyard that he’s no longer welcome and his scholly was gone). However, I wouldn’t consider it pulling a scholarship if they didn’t ask a 5th year guy to return, or if they decided (along with Billy Oliver) that the injuries are too much at this point to keep playing.

And I can’t see PSU finishing 8-8 next season. Mostly because we’ll play 18 games. :wink:

As far as an inside scoring threat, I still think that Jones is the guy if someone is going to step up. He’s shooting 58% from the floor in the Big Ten season, but he just doesn’t put it up enough. There were two times tonight where he got offensive boards and his first move was to look to kick it back out. He needs to take those balls back up.

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:789”]0-10 says it all. Does anybody think that PSU can turn it around and finish 8-8 next year? IMO Buie would have to be an incredible freshman. Other than Edwards, I don’t see anybody with the potential of giving us an inside scoring threat.

I realize that its a pretty ugly statement, but several juniors seem to have limited potential. Its painful to think that PSU is two years away from having a scholarship to give. Would the staff ever pull a kid’s scholarship so that they could go out and fill a critical need sooner?[/quote]
The likelihood of finding a dependable big man during their first year in the program is slim - even slimmer when you’re recruiting in the late signing period. Jamelle Cornley and Geary Claxton were both products of the early signing period. Travis Parker was signed during the late period, but really didn’t come out of his shell until his second season.

Guards are a bit of a different story.

[quote=“State4Life, post:3, topic:789”]Jamelle Cornley and Geary Claxton were both products of the early signing period. Travis Parker was signed during the late period, but really didn’t come out of his shell until his second season.

Guards are a bit of a different story.[/quote]

You sure about Claxton? I thought I remembered us signing him very late (maybe I’m not remembering it right and it was just very close to the early signing period).

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:789”]0-10 says it all. Does anybody think that PSU can turn it around and finish 8-8 next year? IMO Buie would have to be an incredible freshman. Other than Edwards, I don’t see anybody with the potential of giving us an inside scoring threat.

I realize that its a pretty ugly statement, but several juniors seem to have limited potential. Its painful to think that PSU is two years away from having a scholarship to give. Would the staff ever pull a kid’s scholarship so that they could go out and fill a critical need sooner?[/quote]

Pulling a kid’s scholarship is just wrong. I have a better idea - how about exercising an out clause in coach’s contract.

[quote="State4Life, post:3, topic:789"]Jamelle Cornley and Geary Claxton were both products of the early signing period. Travis Parker was signed during the late period, but really didn't come out of his shell until his second season.

Guards are a bit of a different story.[/quote]

You sure about Claxton? I thought I remembered us signing him very late (maybe I’m not remembering it right and it was just very close to the early signing period).

You’re right - Geary signed on 02/17/2004, right at the beginning of the late period.

The way I view it is you have a 93 coming in next season and a guy who was injured in Marshall who could see playing time who was a 90. That isn’t too bad to have. With all the close losses we had this season you would think we’d pull those off with these 2 guys adding athleticism. I think we will run the ball more too and from people who have seen him they think Buie could be just as good as Battle. If that is indeed the case then Penn State would be tough to defend. I could see a 9-9 conference record for sure.

Not sure if they have “pulled” but Nikola, Joonas, Milos, and Maxwell Dubois all voluntarily left.

But aren’t Buie and Marshall guards? The guys who’s minutes they will take up aren’t really the main issue on this team.

I thought Joonas used up his 4 years here. And don’t forget the foregttable Sky King.

[quote="soskichparty, post:8, topic:789"]Not sure if they have "pulled" but Nikola, Joonas, Milos, and Maxwell Dubois all voluntarily left.[/quote]

I thought Joonas used up his 4 years here. And don’t forget the foregttable Sky King.

He left to pursue other opportunities to use his shooting ability…
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/092508aaa.html

Now “THAT” is a liberal use of the word voluntarily.

[quote="soskichparty, post:8, topic:789"]Not sure if they have "pulled" but Nikola, Joonas, Milos, and Maxwell Dubois all voluntarily left.[/quote]

Now “THAT” is a liberal use of the word voluntarily.

;D

Your analysis is pretty good but perhaps flawed since you have overlooked the ED FACTOR.

So how good would you say that last year’s team was if they overcame the “Ed Factor”? Final 4 caliber? Sweet 16? One and done in the NCAAs?

[quote="hoopla, post:14, topic:789"]Your analysis is pretty good but perhaps flawed since you have overlooked the ED FACTOR.[/quote]

So how good would you say that last year’s team was if they overcame the “Ed Factor”? Final 4 caliber? Sweet 16? One and done in the NCAAs?

We now see that was FOOL’s Gold. Everyone talks about how close we are to victories. Well, we were one lucky shot away from elimination in the 1ST Round of the NIT at home. Those kids had a great year last year and I praised their efforts. Ed is approaching 100 losses in the B10-RIDICULOUS. This is one of the few places that would be tolerated - not even places like PENN put up with consistent losing. I’m glad you think Ed is the answer, I just wish I had any confidence in him, but I don’t. He is lost on the sidelines.

[quote="hoopla, post:14, topic:789"]Your analysis is pretty good but perhaps flawed since you have overlooked the ED FACTOR.[/quote]

We now see that was FOOL’s Gold. Everyone talks about how close we are to victories. Well, we were one lucky shot away from elimination in the 1ST Round of the NIT at home. Those kids had a great year last year and I praised their efforts. Ed is approaching 100 losses in the B10-RIDICULOUS. This is one of the few places that would be tolerated - not even places like PENN put up with consistent losing. I’m glad you think Ed is the answer, I just wish I had any confidence in him, but I don’t. He is lost on the sidelines.

Ditto. Let’s call a spade a spade. ED is averaging per year double digit losses in conference…enough already!!!

Ditto. Let’s call a spade a spade. ED is averaging per year double digit losses in conference…enough already!!!

I’m convinced that ED has the WORST 7-year conference record of any coach in the high major conferences over the past 30 years. Perhaps somebody at NW had a worse 7 year record, but I’m doubtful.

ED’s record at PSU is historically bad, and yet, some people are afraid of change. As if things could get worse. Excluding coaches with NCAA issues, ED is the worst coach at a high level program. In fact, he’s probably the worst coach at a high level program in a few generations. Just think about that. (as I bang my head against my desk).

Some people consider that to be a racist statement. Why dont you get rid of it you dummy

Some people consider that to be a racist statement. Why dont you get rid of it you dummy

hey “dummy” - here’s a discussion of whether that phrase is a racist statement. while some people incorrectly consider it a racist term, its not.

http://sprachgefuhl.blogspot.com/2009/09/is-phrase-to-call-spade-spade-racist.html