PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

World Cup Site selections

Shocking decisions for 2018 and 2022.
Russia for 18 and Qatar for 22.
USA had bid for 22.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/world-cup-bid-russia-qatar-awarded-next-world-cups

I’m bitter about this. FIFA basically just showed that corruption and $$$ outweigh what’s good for the game or what will make the most successful tournament. The other thing that stings is knowing that China will be entering the mix for 2026 and is thought of as a favorite, and you have to figure that England will get one soon (maybe 2030). So it could be another 12-16 years until the US has a good of a shot as they had at this one.

We would have won the bid if Cam Newton’s dad had been on the committee

UNBELIEVABLE!!! You’re kidding me…QATAR?? >:( ??? :frowning:

Isn’t that some kind of stringed instrument you strum with a pick??? ;D

Money does talk!

[quote=“PSUWIN, post:4, topic:1588”]UNBELIEVABLE!!! You’re kidding me…QATAR?? >:( ??? :frowning:

Isn’t that some kind of stringed instrument you strum with a pick??? ;D

Money does talk![/quote]
It’s pronounced “Cutter” if my recollection from all my geography courses is correct.

Also, State College is hosting the tournament in 2026. Book it.

I thought I read somewhere that Qatar is one of the most dangerous countries due to corruption. Makes sense to put a big sports spectacle there then.

“Soon” meaning 2030?

[quote="frats, post:2, topic:1588"]I'm bitter about this. FIFA basically just showed that corruption and $$$ outweigh what's good for the game or what will make the most successful tournament. The other thing that stings is knowing that China will be entering the mix for 2026 and is thought of as a favorite, and [b]you have to figure that England will get one soon (maybe 2030).[/b] So it could be another 12-16 years until the US has a good of a shot as they had at this one.[/quote]

“Soon” meaning 2030?

Yea. Seeing that they are booked up through 2022 now, the next open spot is 2026. I think that likely goes to China, so we’re probably bidding against England and others for 2030, and I think many will feel it’s time that England got one. So while the US might be in the mix in 2026 and 2030, 2034 might be the next opportunity would be even close to as good as today’s annoucement. And that’s not even accouting for Australia who appears to be heading in the direction of getting it at some point.

China cannot get 2030, I believe, as they are in the same federation as Qatar (Asian Federation) and back-to-back cups must be in different continents. US will be up against Euros and presumably Australia for 2030.