Woodyard ready to step up his game

Carroll County Times

Let’s hope someone steps up their game.

[quote=“byake, post:1, topic:1270”]Carroll County Times

Let’s hope someone steps up their game.[/quote]

The freshmen article in the SB Nation Pitt blog bodes well also. I always have hope in newbies. Why not? Isn’t it what makes it new, fresh and exciting? Hope springs eternal. To be successful this year, I think it will take some new faces getting a surprising amount of time. IMO, that may include guys who didn’t get much time last season, like Cam.

I found this quote by Cam interesting:

Sounds like they have changed their off-season training plan a bit. Hopefully, it will help.

Sounds like they have changed their off-season training plan a bit. Hopefully, it will help.

I hope so too but it sounds like another excuse in a long line of them. Just once I’d like the product on the court do the talking. And now that I think about it you never hear excuses out of Talor, maybe others should follow suit.

I hope so too but it sounds like another excuse in a long line of them. Just once I’d like the product on the court do the talking. And now that I think about it you never hear excuses out of Talor, maybe others should follow suit.

I don’t read that quote as an excuse at all. They’re simply cutting back on lifting and focusing more on improving basketball skills.

I don’t read that quote as an excuse at all. They’re simply cutting back on lifting and focusing more on improving basketball skills.

Maybe excuse isn’t the right word, but you’d like to think Ed had the offseason workouts schedule figured out by now. Seems like a big shift on emphasis and Ed still searching for something that works, rather than him having the confidence in his off season workouts. It is his 8th year, no?

Maybe excuse isn’t the right word, but you’d like to think Ed had the offseason workouts schedule figured out by now. Seems like a big shift on emphasis and Ed still searching for something that works, rather than him having the confidence in his off season workouts. It is his 8th year, no?

I didn’t think Ed could be involved in the offseason workout “schedule”. Probably gives some direction, but I think it’s still up to the kid what he does with his time.

I didn’t think Ed could be involved in the offseason workout “schedule”. Probably gives some direction, but I think it’s still up to the kid what he does with his time.

Your be surprised!! A certain amount of “coaching/instruction/weigh training instruction” is allowed. Of course, it would be around the kids classroom schedule. BUT, MUCH is expected/demanded of the kids. Upper classmen many times organize the group work.

It seems clear Cam isn’t doing this on his own. I mean, “we’re doing a lot more functional work and cutting back on the lifting.” You don’t think that’s being directed? If not, it’s even worse that these kids are doing what they feel like doing rather than being directed. I think it’s up to the kid to follow the direction. I’m sure some slough off big time, and it’s evident in their play that they haven’t prepared. When a guy comes back bigger or looks more “cut”, it’s obvious he’s been working hard, at least on strength. Harder to initially notice better game play, but with Stanley and Talor, I thought both looked stronger and more poised their second year at PSU. Though he’s not mentioned much this off season, I hope Sasa is stronger and more confident. He’s got ball and footwork skills, but got pushed around a bunch last year. Game seemed to fast and rugged for him. IMO, decisive year for him. I like the skill guys who need to get stronger rather than the athletic guys who lack skills. IMO, if you’re 20 years old and lack skills, too late for that. To me, what Cam’s doing is skill related, but it’s honing your skills under pressure, which is the big difference in HS and college. D much tougher to get your shot off. To me, a vastly improved handle is the key, and that can be improved(I don’t think guys can become real shooters in college, though back to the basket inside moves can certainly be learned). In HS, it’s not so necessary, as the D not strong enough. But when you have somebody in your face all the time, guys as quick, the handle needs to be improved. Since few guys have a college ready handle, everybody needs to work on that. I thought Frazier had some issues with this last year, making it tough for him to drive, or beat his man and pull up, so it’ll be interesting to see him this year.

It seems clear Cam isn’t doing this on his own. I mean, “we’re doing a lot more functional work and cutting back on the lifting.” You don’t think that’s being directed? If not, it’s even worse that these kids are doing what they feel like doing rather than being directed. I think it’s up to the kid to follow the direction. I’m sure some slough off big time, and it’s evident in their play that they haven’t prepared. When a guy comes back bigger or looks more “cut”, it’s obvious he’s been working hard, at least on strength. Harder to initially notice better game play, but with Stanley and Talor, I thought both looked stronger and more poised their second year at PSU. Though he’s not mentioned much this off season, I hope Sasa is stronger and more confident. He’s got ball and footwork skills, but got pushed around a bunch last year. Game seemed to fast and rugged for him. IMO, decisive year for him. I like the skill guys who need to get stronger rather than the athletic guys who lack skills. IMO, if you’re 20 years old and lack skills, too late for that. To me, what Cam’s doing is skill related, but it’s honing your skills under pressure, which is the big difference in HS and college. D much tougher to get your shot off. To me, a vastly improved handle is the key, and that can be improved(I don’t think guys can become real shooters in college, though back to the basket inside moves can certainly be learned). In HS, it’s not so necessary, as the D not strong enough. But when you have somebody in your face all the time, guys as quick, the handle needs to be improved. Since few guys have a college ready handle, everybody needs to work on that. I thought Frazier had some issues with this last year, making it tough for him to drive, or beat his man and pull up, so it’ll be interesting to see him this year.

Isn’t that pretty much what I said?

…keep in mind that cam was not a highly touted recruit. He was and is a work in porgress. There are different things that need to be done. Just because they are changing his workouts, doesn’t mean that they were wrong to begin with, it means that now he needs focus on another area.

No. But you may have it right. When he says, “we found individual improvement more important than strength”, it doesn’t sound like Ed is included in the “we”, so maybe Ed does just give broad guidelines, and they pick and choose. To me, that’s not good. When he says, “we’re taking steps forward on the court instead of working on our strength”, I wonder how they’re deciding the “instead of”. I think the question needs to be asked of Ed, “what are you looking for the kids to do this summer?” Can he really be leaving it up to them? IMO, the devil’s in the details. If Ed’s not looking for something specific, and hasn’t given specific instructions, he shouldn’t be surprised if kids come not doing what he wants. Is it any wonder why the team has struggled vs. early decent(and not so decent) OOC opponents? Didn’t some of those teams look better prepared last year? Do you remember the Davidson radio announcer’s comment in that Curry-less squeaker? “Penn State sure is lucky they’re athletic, cause they sure don’t look like they know what they’re doing out there.”

Kid, you’re making a whole string of negative assumptions about the why’s of the apparent change in strength training philosophy this summer. Shouldn’t you at least wait for someone to report on a conversation on this subject with one of the coaches?

No. But you may have it right. When he says, “we found individual improvement more important than strength”, it doesn’t sound like Ed is included in the “we”, so maybe Ed does just give broad guidelines, and they pick and choose. To me, that’s not good. When he says, “we’re taking steps forward on the court instead of working on our strength”, I wonder how they’re deciding the “instead of”. I think the question needs to be asked of Ed, “what are you looking for the kids to do this summer?” Can he really be leaving it up to them? IMO, the devil’s in the details. If Ed’s not looking for something specific, and hasn’t given specific instructions, he shouldn’t be surprised if kids come not doing what he wants. Is it any wonder why the team has struggled vs. early decent(and not so decent) OOC opponents? Didn’t some of those teams look better prepared last year? Do you remember the Davidson radio announcer’s comment in that Curry-less squeaker? “Penn State sure is lucky they’re athletic, cause they sure don’t look like they know what they’re doing out there.”

If you think these kids just make out their summer workout plans on their own, you’re nuts. Every college has a detailed summer workout schedule that their kids are to follow - they aren’t just winging it. The coaches may be restricted from attending practices but they sure can pass on what the kids should be doing in the practices.

Lar, is correct!!

Also, it seems some people are making a whole lot about nothing in this thread.

[quote=“tundra, post:15, topic:1270”]Lar, is correct!!

Also, it seems some people are making a whole lot about nothing in this thread.[/quote]

Agreed. It’s not like it’s the televised pep talk before a game. Now that’s something to be concerned about. :wink:

As a former college athlete, direction was always given to me during the summer months between semesters. Call it a general outline, but there were things that were to be done. I would then have to keep a log of what I did and report back to coach once the semester began.

While I didn’t play basketball in college, I would assume a similar set-up of goals and objectives to accomplish in the summer.

[quote=“tundra, post:15, topic:1270”]Lar, is correct!!

Also, it seems some people are making a whole lot about nothing in this thread.[/quote]

thanks be to Zeus that it is only this thread

If you think these kids just make out their summer workout plans on their own, you’re nuts. Every college has a detailed summer workout schedule that their kids are to follow - they aren’t just winging it. The coaches may be restricted from attending practices but they sure can pass on what the kids should be doing in the practices.

I agree with you.

Kid, you're making a whole string of negative assumptions about the why's of the apparent change in strength training philosophy this summer. Shouldn't you at least wait for someone to report on a conversation on this subject with one of the coaches?

Huh? My first comments were that it was clear Cam wasn’t doing this on his own. I was responding to mjg thinking Ed wasn’t involved in the workout “schedule”. I kind of don’t think it’s a great sign that in year 8 they seem to be switching gears on emphasis. Kind of feels like they’re searching for answers. I just don’t get the feeling that top DI coaches are changing up summer workouts to try to find the right formula. Shouldn’t that be done and honed at lower coaching levels? Think Bo Ryan, Beilein, Izzo. Think they’re still trying to figure it out?

Here’s the problem. YOU are the one who has decided that ED’s “still trying to figure it out”? Perhaps he has it all “figured out” and it’s standard operating procedure to vary the summer practice areas of emphasis from year to year. Perhaps it’s also EXACTLY the same way that Izzo, Ryan, etc. run their summer sessions too. YOU DON’T KNOW. Yet somehow you have concluded that Ed is “trying to work it out” when it’s possible that his program is a carbon copy of Izzo’s.

All too many of your posts categorically involve some HUGE leaps of faith. You often rush to judgment with little evidence to support your position.