PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Women's finish

Women are in a heck of a game with Purdue.

Purdue playing harder, but Penn State hanging in. 30 seconds left, down two, Penn State ball.

Tied, 16 seconds left, Purdue with the ball.

Purdue scored on a nice play with 1.4 seconds left, and won the game.

In contrasting mens team to the Lady Lions, I have become used to the men having the lesser talent to their opponent, but often playing and being coached above their talent level. I have not seen that from Coquese and her staff.
Today they got outplayed as evidenced by the big rebound advantage Purdue had. Green had 2 rebounds (they gave her another on a ball that never hit the back board or rim), and missed numerous shots from point blank range. Bently played well.
Official scorer had Penn State with only 8 turnovers. No way that is an accurate stat.

On the other hand Coquese’s teams have improved year over year, culminating in the first reg season title since the Rene’ era. She and the team deserve congratulations for their efforts this year.

Purdue made the most of their opportunities, and, PSU did not. Way too many missed layups. I don’t think Coquese got outcoached today. Purdue played hard and the ball bounced their way more than it did for PSU. Purdue did play Maggie tough as well.

[quote=“Duff, post:4, topic:3143”]In contrasting mens team to the Lady Lions, I have become used to the men having the lesser talent to their opponent, but often playing and being coached above their talent level. I have not seen that from Coquese and her staff.
Today they got outplayed as evidenced by the big rebound advantage Purdue had. Green had 2 rebounds (they gave her another on a ball that never hit the back board or rim), and missed numerous shots from point blank range. Bently played well.
Official scorer had Penn State with only 8 turnovers. No way that is an accurate stat.[/quote]

I’m with you. I’ve been to quite a few womens games this year, and I always felt like they could be just a little bit better.

It seemed like they missed a ton of shots under the basket in the second half.

Unfortunately the women’s team plays intimidated for random reasons. They stop boxing out, going after balls, etc. See how they dominated Ohio State on the glass, yet play like the ball is 200 degrees other times. Even on defense, some players would simply stand there after a switch instead of rotating back to their player.

I know the team has achieved a lot even with the missing players.
BUT, every time I watch them I just can’t stop thinking "This team SHOULD be better."
Expectations are a funny thing!!

the old adage ‘act like you’ve been there before’…joe’s take on end zone celebrations. same thing applies to teams that are reinventing the culture of a program. that’s where coquese is with this team right now. there are still going to be heartbreaks, but there should be fewer now with better recruits coming in, and hopefully this’ll lead to deep runs in future NCAA’s and Big Ten Tourneys…including some Championship banners. that’s the model of success that hopefully PC and Bo’B use to build their own programs.

Good year for a team that’s still reinventing itself.

one interesting note:

we spend thread after thread debating the merits of ed d’s run as coach, whether or not he got the raw end of the deal, the other side arguing that when he had players the team underachieved…yet we’re complaining when the Lady’s win the reg season championship. funny how the law of greater expectations works.

[quote=“pennst92, post:12, topic:3143”]one interesting note:

we spend thread after thread debating the merits of ed d’s run as coach, whether or not he got the raw end of the deal, the other side arguing that when he had players the team underachieved…yet we’re complaining when the Lady’s win the reg season championship. funny how the law of greater expectations works.[/quote]

No one’s complaining that they won the regular season championship. Just noting how poor of an effort such a team put forth yesterday, and has plagued them in losses all season.

one interesting note:

we spend thread after thread debating the merits of ed d’s run as coach, whether or not he got the raw end of the deal, the other side arguing that when he had players the team underachieved…yet we’re complaining when the Lady’s win the reg season championship. funny how the law of greater expectations works.

No one’s complaining that they won the regular season championship. Just noting how poor of an effort such a team put forth yesterday, and has plagued them in losses all season.

Yeah, I don’t know understand why any of the insight and analysis here is being percieved as complaining.
I don’t want to take anything away from Purdue. For me there was disappointment over yesterdays lackluster performance. Frankly I felt they played better than the previous game against MN.
It may not be fair because I don’t see them play alot, and the team and staff certainly are due congrats for winning the regular season title. When I do, I see flashes of how good they can be but there lapses, and inconsistency should be better managed.

[quote=“pennst92, post:12, topic:3143”]one interesting note:

we spend thread after thread debating the merits of ed d’s run as coach, whether or not he got the raw end of the deal, the other side arguing that when he had players the team underachieved…yet we’re complaining when the Lady’s win the reg season championship. funny how the law of greater expectations works.[/quote]

Fans. Not rational.

I kind of took it that way, but I can see how you can parse it in a way that it is “constructive criticism.”

[quote="pennst92, post:12, topic:3143"]one interesting note:

I didn’t think the effort lacked anything. Greene and Nickson couldn’t get shots to fall. Lucas couldn’t get an open look. And early foul trouble on Bentley contributed to a more passive defense. I file this under anything happens in March.

I didn’t think the effort lacked anything. Greene and Nickson couldn’t get shots to fall. Lucas couldn’t get an open look. And early foul trouble on Bentley contributed to a more passive defense. I file this under anything happens in March.

They were lazy and disinterested on defense. I’ve never seen a player simply stop and stand there after a switch on defense like I saw PSU players doing.

They were lazy and disinterested on defense. I’ve never seen a player simply stop and stand there after a switch on defense like I saw PSU players doing.

I disagree. I think they were confused maybe at times. But I didn’t think the effort was lacking.

I think we get tired at times! We play VERY fast paced, especially on offense. On defense we put on a lot of pressure…for a while…THEN don’t cover pick and rolls or play good “help” defense at times.
With a very limited bench we need to play smarter…even if it’s a more of a laid back defense.

Fans. Not rational.

I kind of took it that way, but I can see how you can parse it in a way that it is “constructive criticism.”

If you wanted to see something wild, you should have seen the wrestling board over on FOS after our less than stellar performance yesterday afternoon. There were several “the sky is falling” whack jobs over there moaning about everything. They completely overlooked the fact that not only were we defending Big Ten and National Champions, but we were still in the driver’s seat to win this year’s championship (which by the way, we did this afternoon, running away with the title). You would have thought we were getting lapped by the other teams or something.