PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Women tip-off now on ESPN2

I love Maggie Lucas but I have seen programs shut her down at times. UConn had a stifling defense and I just expect them to clamp down on Maggie. So for us to win, I think it’s going to fall on the shoulders of Bentley and Gray.

PSU forgot the tipoff was at 4:34. UConn remembered though

Of course, as soon as I post that, PSU wakes up

Once I turned this on I saw our girls were down big :frowning:

Just goes to show that even though parity has come a long way in women’s basketball, there’s still a ways to go.

Conn comes out bullying the other teams and the refs from the opening tip. >:(
Plus they play pretty good basketball, also.

Yah it went from two teams with a chance at a national championship to maybe 5 or 6 now.

Still, they have had 7 different champions in the last 13 years. That’s not atypically low when it comes to NCAA sports - even for the men’s sports.

Here’s the number of different men’s champions there have been in all the NCAA men’s (and mixed) sports over the last 13 years.

Baseball - 8
Basketball - 8
Cross Country - 5 (and Indiana State has won 8 in a row)
Fencing - 5
Football - 10
Golf - 9
Gymnastics - 5
Ice Hockey - 9
Lacrosse - 5
Rifle - 5
Skiing - 6
Soccer - 9
Swimming - 4
Tennis - 8
Track (indoor) - 7
Track (outdoor) - 6
Wrestling - 5
Water Polo - 4
Volleyball - 9

was at the game… UConn fans filled the Ryan Center, the place was almost full. The group of PSU students that were there did a great job and the pep band sounded great. We were sitting up in the 300 section, but in that area we were still pretty close. I felt like looking straight down on the court. It’s about half the size of the BJC and all I could think is how perfect it would be for PSU to have something like that.

Just goes to show that even though parity has come a long way in women's basketball, there's still a ways to go.

Yah it went from two teams with a chance at a national championship to maybe 5 or 6 now.

Agreed, there does not seem to be much parity. If we look back as far as the year 2000, there are only a few contenders each season, and they seem to be the same ones year in and year out. There have only been 18 different schools in the Final Four since 2000, out of a possible 52 entries.

This year’s Final Four:
UConn - 11th appearence since 2000
Stanford - 6th appearence since 2000
Baylor - 4th appearence since 2000
Notre Dame - 4th appearence since 2000