PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Women back to their old ways

After two straight games where they did a decent job of protecting the ball, the Lady Lions once again reverting to regularly throwing it away, turning the ball over 24 times. For the fourth time this season, they had more turnovers than buckets, 24 to 17, but this time they paid dearly, losing 60-49 to Michigan State and handing first place in the conference over to the Spartans.

MSU 60 PSU 49

that was a quick trip to the top 25

24 TOs will do that! :-[

In the loss to Ohio State they had 26 turnovers. TWENTY-SIX turnovers! Oh, they had 13 assists. Show me a team that has a assist to T.O. of ratio of .5 and I will show you a team destined to go nowhere! With these kind of turnover numbers that is where this team is headed.

Box Score I saw has 27 TOs!

Correct on the turnovers. :frowning:

http://espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=310480194

Any time you have a team almost exclusively made up of freshmen and sophomores that runs a very fast paced offense, you have nights like these.

These growing pains are the price you pay for the team that we will see on the floor when these ladies are juniors and seniors. I think the future is VERY bright for this program.

[quote="Duff, post:4, topic:1928"]In the loss to Ohio State they had 26 turnovers. TWENTY-SIX turnovers! Oh, they had 13 assists. Show me a team that has a assist to T.O. of ratio of .5 and I will show you a team destined to go nowhere! With these kind of turnover numbers that is where this team is headed.[/quote]

Any time you have a team almost exclusively made up of freshmen and sophomores that runs a very fast paced offense, you have nights like these.

These growing pains are the price you pay for the team that we will see on the floor when these ladies are juniors and seniors. I think the future is VERY bright for this program.

My largest concern is they seem to be going backwards

[quote="Duff, post:4, topic:1928"]In the loss to Ohio State they had 26 turnovers. TWENTY-SIX turnovers! Oh, they had 13 assists. Show me a team that has a assist to T.O. of ratio of .5 and I will show you a team destined to go nowhere! With these kind of turnover numbers that is where this team is headed.[/quote]

My largest concern is they seem to be going backwards

I see it as more of a blip than a regression.

Their TOs in the last 5 games leading to this one were…

13, 12, 13, 24, 15 And in the game they had 24, they played 1st place Mich St, who had 21

I think this was the sixth game this season where they had at least as many turnovers as baskets (27 vs 25 in this one). If I remember correctly, they lost every one of them (it would have to be pretty hard to win one of those games).

Link for 27 TO Boxscore :wink: Note: It says: Official Box Score
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/psu-osu.html

Gosh…you mean stats are not always perfectly correct ???

Taking about stats…

When I coached (different ages, different times) I always liked to keep my own simple stats. I keep team (us - them) stats for turnovers and rebounds. I thought these were the 2 most important issues. Easy enough. In my “system” wild terrible shot attempts by our team were “turnovers.” One of my proudest coaching moments was when my 4-5-6th grade no-cut team had a “0” turnover game. NO small feat! We had a couple of very inexperienced kids.