PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Wolves down sparty in east lansing

We gotta sweep MSU now.

We’re tied with MSU for 6th place in the Big Ten right now.

If Indiana downs the Illini we move into a tie for 5th.

Wow Michigan really beat Michigan State?

Hoosiers give us a hand beating the Illini. 3 way tie for 5th. Let the games begin.

Indiana won 52-49.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:3, topic:1847"]If Indiana downs the Illini we move into a tie for 5th.[/quote] Indiana won 52-49.

The Illini score 17 second half points. 38-33 anyone?

things are really falling into place. NOW do people finally believe me that this is our year to make it?

[quote="jjepsu92, post:5, topic:1847"]Hoosiers give us a hand beating the Illini. 3 way tie for 5th. Let the games begin.[/quote]

things are really falling into place. NOW do people finally believe me that this is our year to make it?

I believe you!!!

Am I the only one that thinks this is BAD for PSU? Beating MSU is one of our signature wins - I hope they don’t slip too far.

Wow Michigan really beat Michigan State?

Am I the only one that thinks this is BAD for PSU? Beating MSU is one of our signature wins - I hope they don’t slip too far.

I really wonder if part of the MSU slide is from the Lucious issues that were going on. Plus the near bolt to Cleveland and can see how there is some players not “buying in” this year.

I’m still not sure if this is good or bad… Sure it helps in the standings, but it also makes the B10 look weaker, makes those two wins look less impressive, and might even make the B10 weak statistically (Lar?).

Makes the wins less impressive but the Michigan loss not as bad.

From an RPI perspective, the NCAA looks at it two ways. One where only inter-conference games count, so obviously in that case it doesn’t matter. In the case where conference games count, the conference RPI will look best when the home team wins regardless of which team is higher rated. So the Indiana win helps conference RPI, while the MSU loss does not (that’s assuming the NCAA uses the same weighted win/loss formula when calculating conference RPI as it does when calculating team RPI - that may or may not be true). Even though the games might matter. the actual difference will be minuscule. For the most part, games outside of the conference are what determines the conference RPI ranking (at the moment the top seven conferences have the same order in the RPI ranking regardless of which way it’s calculated).

As far as it making the conference look weaker, I would submit that depends on the individual’s mind set. Some people will evaluate the strength of a conference by how the top teams look. Other people will evaluate the strength of a conference based on how solid the teams are across the board. If you are one of the former, today’s wins don’t make the conference look good. If you are one of the latter, then today’s wins do.

In years when Duke and North Carolina run roughshod over the rest of the ACC, does that make the conference look stronger? Or does the conference looks stronger when all of the schools beat each other up within the conference, but kick butt outside of it? I happen to belong to the latter camp.

Now there’s more pressure for PSU to win at MSU and at Illinois

Hoosiers give us a hand beating the Illini. 3 way tie for 5th. Let the games begin.

Not until they knock off both Wisky and Meatchicken. Losing Saturday drops us back right down to below .500 in the b10. They need to continue to move forward and not tread water. I think they need and can win these both. Wisconsin is going to take an almost perfect PSU game but hopefully can find a way.

In the last few years, I’ve always thought the Illini one of the more strange teams in the conference. Always rated high pre-season, they just seem to struggle scoring sometimes. It seems to start with McCamey. Last year they beat us twice, he had 25 of 54 in the first game, the next 6 points out of 77. He had a lot of assists in the second game, 9, but still. Sometimes he seems like a force and other times, quiet. I thought he looked near invisible in this year’s game, having 10 points, 5 assists and 5 TO’s. IL is kind of physically tough, but seem somewhat dysfunctional on offense. I was also surprised that Sullinger did so well vs. Tisdale. I know he’s good, but 27 points vs. a 7 footer? Couldn’t have helped Tisdale’s NBA chances.

Illinois gets the weekend to pick up the pieces before hosting PSU. Which Illinois team hits the floor in that game?

[quote="jjepsu92, post:3, topic:1847"]If Indiana downs the Illini we move into a tie for 5th.[/quote] Indiana won 52-49.

And the gall of those IU students rushing the floor after that win. I bet many long time IU fans were embarrased by that! ;D :wink:

And the gall of those IU students rushing the floor after that win. I bet many long time IU fans were embarrased by that! ;D :wink:

I was thinking the same thing when I watched them rush the floor last night.

I think it was great for the IU kids to “rush the court.” These are kids. Their tenure at IU has been horrible (hoop wise.) Let them have some fun. Forgetabout the ghost of BK.