Wisky v. PSU post game thread

Brooks and Jones combined points…zero. Sasa has to be option with Ott getting rest. Jones had 1 rebound.

Some real positives today. Edwards and Babb are for real, and very good. Edwards has good in the lane game. He needs to watch TO’s, keep his feet on rebounds, but he’s clearly a starter. Babb gets better and better.

Come on Kid, they didn’t play much and took maybe 1 shot.

Tough loss. That non goaltending call was tough.

Edwards took a nice step forward, now just cut down on the TO’s.

Babb becoming more than just a spot up shooter will really improve his game, he looked like a legit threat out there today everytime he touched the ball. Edwards seems to keep getting better but still making those TO’s that leave you scratching your head, some bad bad TO’s. Ott had a very nice game and I’m content with him starting in the post over Jones at this point. He did so much that did not show up in the boxscore cause I think he only finished with 6 and 3. Tons of hustle plays and generally pretty good defense. Talor is Talor what more can you say, the best to every play here IMO.

We just need to put a full 40 together. We looked very good for about 32 today and tried like hell to hold on down the stretch but couldn’t. I feel we can play with any team in the league if we can keep it together for the full 40.

Just feel terrible for the guys that all their effort has them sitting at 0-7 in conference with a bunch of tough losses.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:2, topic:728”]Come on Kid, they didn’t play much and took maybe 1 shot.

Tough loss. That non goaltending call was tough.

Edwards took a nice step forward, now just cut down on the TO’s.[/quote]

Oh, yes, the goaltending. Awful non-call. How can 3 refs miss that? I didn’t need replay, it obviously hit the backboard first.

On Brooks and Jones, I disagree. Andrew did something bad at the offensive end right away, then let Kankavil walk in and dunk, and clanked his only 2 FTA’s. I bet Jones played 10 minutes.

I just cannot understand Sasa not playing instead of Jones. He’d have to be hurt to not play. And Oliver? Hurt?

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:728”]Brooks and Jones combined points…zero. Sasa has to be option with Ott getting rest. Jones had 1 rebound.

Some real positives today. Edwards and Babb are for real, and very good. Edwards has good in the lane game. He needs to watch TO’s, keep his feet on rebounds, but he’s clearly a starter. Babb gets better and better.[/quote]

Do you really think Sasa would be an upgrade over Jones? I’ll give you that Sasa may be able to contribute more on offense, but we don’t need offense from our backup center. We need rebounding and some defense. I’ll be the first one to admit that Jones has been very dissapointing in both those aspects, but from what I saw of Sasa vs. non-big ten competition, he was getting pushed around pretty easily. You keep bringing up not playing Sasa over and over again like that is going to change something. There are about 100 more pertinent reasons why we lost this game.

Agreed on Babb and Edwards though. I think we’ve finally established our best 5 on the court (Battle, Babb, Edwards, Jackson, Ott). If Frazier can provide Battle a couple blows and Brooks and Jones can come in and rebound for 10 minutes a game each, we should be able to play with anyone in the conference. That isn’t changing the fact that nobody on the team, coach included, knows how to win at crunch time.

Just thinking back, Frazier has pretty much disappeared these last few games. I don’t recall any real bad plays he made today that Ed would’ve sat him for the rest of the game. I know he had one lazy pass for a TO maybe that was it. Really expected him to be seeing more run at this point

I have to agree with Hofe about the player rotation.

This was a very good effort. We should have won. This type of game is a “pet peeve” of mind toward basketball refs. Just because one team plays like crap for 32 minutes THEN decides to wake up… DOES NOT mean they should get all of the calls. The refs won the game!

Brooks and Jones combined points...zero. Sasa has to be option with Ott getting rest. Jones had 1 rebound.

Some real positives today. Edwards and Babb are for real, and very good. Edwards has good in the lane game. He needs to watch TO’s, keep his feet on rebounds, but he’s clearly a starter. Babb gets better and better.

Do you really think Sasa would be an upgrade over Jones? I’ll give you that Sasa may be able to contribute more on offense, but we don’t need offense from our backup center. We need rebounding and some defense. I’ll be the first one to admit that Jones has been very dissapointing in both those aspects, but from what I saw of Sasa vs. non-big ten competition, he was getting pushed around pretty easily. You keep bringing up not playing Sasa over and over again like that is going to change something. There are about 100 more pertinent reasons why we lost this game.

Agreed on Babb and Edwards though. I think we’ve finally established our best 5 on the court (Battle, Babb, Edwards, Jackson, Ott). If Frazier can provide Battle a couple blows and Brooks and Jones can come in and rebound for 10 minutes a game each, we should be able to play with anyone in the conference. That isn’t changing the fact that nobody on the team, coach included, knows how to win at crunch time.

How could Sasa not be an upgrade? What is AJ doing that would be missing?

On offense, I think you’re wrong. We shot 7-15 from the arc vs. 10-34 for Wisky. We also shot okay inside the arc, 22-41 vs. 16-26 for Wisky. But I think that’s misleading because Talor hit some pull up jumpers as did Babb, and Edwards scores facing the basket, but Wisky took it more to the hole, and ended up getting fouled, and those shots don’t count. We were 6-8 from the line, Wisky was 17-19.

I thought we played well. The inside the arc shooting was a big difference to what we were doing, but we need to get to the line, and that requires going to the hole, driving or back to the basket play. Points in the paint still lacking, though today’s effort best of season. I keep hoping for Sasa, as we’re getting nothing on O from Andrew. Can’t do worse than nothing.

Frazier threw away his first pass in about 10 seconds of play. That’s all I noticed.

d

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:728”]Brooks and Jones combined points…zero. Sasa has to be option with Ott getting rest. Jones had 1 rebound.

Some real positives today. Edwards and Babb are for real, and very good. Edwards has good in the lane game. He needs to watch TO’s, keep his feet on rebounds, but he’s clearly a starter. Babb gets better and better.[/quote]

How could Sasa not be an upgrade? What is AJ doing that would be missing?

On offense, I think you’re wrong. We shot 7-15 from the arc vs. 10-34 for Wisky. We also shot okay inside the arc, 22-41 vs. 16-26 for Wisky. But I think that’s misleading because Talor hit some pull up jumpers as did Babb, and Edwards scores facing the basket, but Wisky took it more to the hole, and ended up getting fouled, and those shots don’t count. We were 6-8 from the line, Wisky was 17-19.

I thought we played well. The inside the arc shooting was a big difference to what we were doing, but we need to get to the line, and that requires going to the hole, driving or back to the basket play. Points in the paint still lacking, though today’s effort best of season. I keep hoping for Sasa, as we’re getting nothing on O from Andrew. Can’t do worse than nothing.

I really don’t know what you saw that has you so high on Sasa. I saw him have a decent shot and some touch, I guess, but that was against VERY low competition. I think you’d see Sasa look slow and end up on the ground on a lot of defensive possessions in the Big Ten. And like I said before, I don’t think Jones is giving us much at all. I wouldn’t be upset if they put Sasa in, but its annoying that you keep calling for it like its going to change the team in some significant way. Changing your back-up center isn’t going to make a difference.

I don’t know why you’re saying I’m wrong and referencing those stats. I didn’t say a word about our offense except that I thought Sasa might have a better offensive game than Jones.

Kid’s been high on Sasa since before he came in here. I never saw anything that resembled much promise there, not yet at least - but maybe he just has a better eye for talent than me and the coaches? :wink:

just kidding bud, i really wouldn’t mind trying him some more at this point. there’s nothing to lose.

This game was more gut wrenching than the UM game. I feel sorry for the kids. When they get that win cherry popped I think they will win a few in a row. How a team can be so close so many times. Nice game by Ott, Babb, DJ and Bill. Talor was Talor as some had said. It’s getting closer. This team is 0-7 but does not look 0-7.

[quote=“Whiteout, post:3, topic:728”]Babb becoming more than just a spot up shooter will really improve his game, he looked like a legit threat out there today everytime he touched the ball. Edwards seems to keep getting better but still making those TO’s that leave you scratching your head, some bad bad TO’s. Ott had a very nice game and I’m content with him starting in the post over Jones at this point. He did so much that did not show up in the boxscore cause I think he only finished with 6 and 3. Tons of hustle plays and generally pretty good defense. Talor is Talor what more can you say, the best to every play here IMO.

We just need to put a full 40 together. We looked very good for about 32 today and tried like hell to hold on down the stretch but couldn’t. I feel we can play with any team in the league if we can keep it together for the full 40.

Just feel terrible for the guys that all their effort has them sitting at 0-7 in conference with a bunch of tough losses.[/quote]

I understand giving Edwards and Ott more minutes, but I’m not sure it makes sense for ED to completely write off Jones and Brooks. I still think we need those guys.

However, its now looking like their careers as starters at PSU are over. They were extremely unproductive today in 25 minutes.

Babb becoming more than just a spot up shooter will really improve his game, he looked like a legit threat out there today everytime he touched the ball. Edwards seems to keep getting better but still making those TO's that leave you scratching your head, some bad bad TO's. Ott had a very nice game and I'm content with him starting in the post over Jones at this point. He did so much that did not show up in the boxscore cause I think he only finished with 6 and 3. Tons of hustle plays and generally pretty good defense. Talor is Talor what more can you say, the best to every play here IMO.

Just feel terrible for the guys that all their effort has them sitting at 0-7 in conference with a bunch of tough losses.

I understand giving Edwards and Ott more minutes, but I’m not sure it makes sense for ED to completely write off Jones and Brooks. I still think we need those guys.

However, its now looking like their careers as starters at PSU are over. They were extremely unproductive today in 25 minutes.

We do need those guys, but they aren’t doing anything. At least Brooks grabbed 4 boards today. Jones looks lost out there. And that 1 minute stretch when he was stuffed by a 6’2" shooting guard and then posterized on the other end was just painful to watch.

[quote="Whiteout, post:3, topic:728"]Babb becoming more than just a spot up shooter will really improve his game, he looked like a legit threat out there today everytime he touched the ball. Edwards seems to keep getting better but still making those TO's that leave you scratching your head, some bad bad TO's. Ott had a very nice game and I'm content with him starting in the post over Jones at this point. He did so much that did not show up in the boxscore cause I think he only finished with 6 and 3. Tons of hustle plays and generally pretty good defense. Talor is Talor what more can you say, the best to every play here IMO.

Just feel terrible for the guys that all their effort has them sitting at 0-7 in conference with a bunch of tough losses.[/quote]

We do need those guys, but they aren’t doing anything. At least Brooks grabbed 4 boards today. Jones looks lost out there. And that 1 minute stretch when he was stuffed by a 6’2" shooting guard and then posterized on the other end was just painful to watch.

Good point. I guess at some point, you are what you are.

This yr. is really making it obvious as to why Jones was a mid major recruit.

Good point. What’s amazing when Ott is on the floor is how it becomes rapidly clear (as opposed to Jones) that he knows how to play basketball. He’s physically limited, and the travel today killed us, but he understands his role on the team.

But how do you explain Brooks’ regression? This is mind-boggling to me.

[quote="Whiteout, post:3, topic:728"]Babb becoming more than just a spot up shooter will really improve his game, he looked like a legit threat out there today everytime he touched the ball. Edwards seems to keep getting better but still making those TO's that leave you scratching your head, some bad bad TO's. Ott had a very nice game and I'm content with him starting in the post over Jones at this point. He did so much that did not show up in the boxscore cause I think he only finished with 6 and 3. Tons of hustle plays and generally pretty good defense. Talor is Talor what more can you say, the best to every play here IMO.

Good point. I guess at some point, you are what you are.

Sad part is neither are bad players. They just don’t have Mel screaming and being the emotional leader. Talor is a great leader but he just doesn’t have the scowl that Mel had. We need somebody to let the Tarzan scream out after a big play. Other than Talor we need somebody to play with some emotion.

Both Brooks and Jones are good players, but for whatever reason it reminds me of the football team during the dark years. Some guys thought they had starting jobs and when the young guys took their positions they didn’t know what to do. Brooks and Jones either have to show they deserve the PT or they will continue to slide down the bench. I think Brooks had 9 minutes and Jones 16 out of 45. The telling thing was Ott picked up his 4th PF with almost 4 minutes left and Jones and Brooks stayed on the bench.

This yr. is really making it obvious as to why Jones was a mid major recruit.

Good point. What’s amazing when Ott is on the floor is how it becomes rapidly clear (as opposed to Jones) that he knows how to play basketball. He’s physically limited, and the travel today killed us, but he understands his role on the team.

But how do you explain Brooks’ regression? This is mind-boggling to me.

That’s the thing if Ott had Jones’ athleticism it would be scary. The kid hustles and is always throwing his body around.

Brooks I just think he wants to make the Sports Center play but not willing to go all out all the time. Kind of reminds me of TO. If he isn’t having the ball enough he’s pouting. He needs to realize that we need him to bang the boards and make cuts to the hoop. If he would do that he would probably average a 12 ppg and 7 rpg because he is the most athletic body we have on the team. He just has to want it.

Here is my trouble. Will they get that by next year or not? If they are not what does Ed do?