PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Wishful thinking?

let’s say that Penn State wins today, and then gets Northwestern on Thursday in the BTT. A winnable game - and then let’s say there is a Friday upset by PSU, and another one elsewhere in the bracket. All of a sudden PSU has a chance of playing for a tourney berth on Sunday. This is a crazy scenario, yes. But the way I see it, a win today at least opens the door to it because PSU is more athletic than Northwestern and can advance past round 1 if they face them. Minnesota may be winnable as well. 4 wins in 4 days would take luck, cause I can’t see this group going through Ohio State, MSU, and Purdue in a weekend. But if some other upset gives PSU a better matchup, I think it could happen. This team reminds me of the 1998 (?) Illinois team with Kruger that lacked seniors, won 3 games in conference, and then made it to Sunday of the BT tourney. let’s hope this is the way it plays out, to erase the awful image of that 0-12 start. I go back and look at the scores of those games, and I really am surprised a team could just falter late that often. They need to learn how to play better inside and next year will be a whole lot better

I like Jack Daniels, too.

Looks like Indiana is gonna beat Northwestern, and that will lock us into the 11 seed. So its all a non-issue.

Might have spoke too soon. 8 pt lead with 3 min left is now 3 pt lead with 1:30 left and NU has the ball.

Goin OT…

[quote=“psu_DC, post:1, topic:919”]could just falter late that often. They need to learn how to play better inside and next year will be a whole lot better[/quote] You sir just sold your soul to the devil on that one!!! Cappy or Craftsy in 3,2,1 :wink:

I honestly don’t understand how an official from across the way can determine that a player has possession in that case and grant a time out. Even if Tom Crean is screaming in his ear the entire time, how can he see 40 feet away and know that Hulls had the ball? That should have been a jump ball in my mind.

Yeah, that was terrible. I believe NW has the arrow too. Tough break for them.

Well, Indiana has this. NW has really fallen apart this year. That’ll lock us into the 11 seed. Bring on Minny I guess.

Bring on the kool aid…I’m thirsty

The only team in the Big 10 that scares me is Purdue with Hummel. Without him, we’ll see shortly. Starting next Thursday is going to be very interesting.

Looks like Carmody’s Cats spit the bit down the stretch.

“PSU is obviously better than their record suggests, and if I’m Minnesota or Illinois or even NW or Michigan, I’m hoping I don’t see the Nittany blue and white in the first round of the Big Ten tourney.”

Okay NittanyIllini you got your wish ;D

I don’t think it’s farfetched at all. With Hummel out, the only BTT team I think we are severe underdogs vs. is OSU. Not that it has to be that way, but I think our attack vs. them is faulty. Their starters are 6’4" to 6’7", then Lauderdale at 6’8", and is set up to be a perimeter offensive and defensive team. So, do the opposite, i.e., fast break and dump it inside in halfcourt. Play small and fast, and big. Just don’t play perimeter offense as that’s their strength. On Turner, either box on 1 or 1-3-1. He splits the seem just below the elbow all the time. But we didn’t. Other than OSU, seems like we play with anybody. If you think about the season, should have won IU, Iowa, IL once, Wisky away (if Ott doesn’t travel at the 1:25 mark it’s a 7 pt. game and there is no OT) and Michigan at home. Add a win today, if it happens, and we’d be 9 and 9.

let's say that Penn State wins today, and then gets Northwestern on Thursday in the BTT. A winnable game - and then let's say there is a Friday upset by PSU, and another one elsewhere in the bracket. All of a sudden PSU has a chance of playing for a tourney berth on Sunday. This is a crazy scenario, yes. But the way I see it, a win today at least opens the door to it because PSU is more athletic than Northwestern and can advance past round 1 if they face them. Minnesota may be winnable as well. 4 wins in 4 days would take luck, cause I can't see this group going through Ohio State, MSU, and Purdue in a weekend. But if some other upset gives PSU a better matchup, I think it could happen. This team reminds me of the 1998 (?) Illinois team with Kruger that lacked seniors, won 3 games in conference, and then made it to Sunday of the BT tourney. let's hope this is the way it plays out, to erase the awful image of that 0-12 start. I go back and look at the scores of those games, and I really am surprised a team could just falter late that often. They need to learn how to play better inside and next year will be a whole lot better
With OSU you could let Turner get his 20, you just have to keep Deibler and Buford below their average.

I don’t think it’s farfetched at all. With Hummel out, the only BTT team I think we are severe underdogs vs. is OSU. Not that it has to be that way, but I think our attack vs. them is faulty. Their starters are 6’4" to 6’7", then Lauderdale at 6’8", and is set up to be a perimeter offensive and defensive team. So, do the opposite, i.e., fast break and dump it inside in halfcourt. Play small and fast, and big. Just don’t play perimeter offense as that’s their strength. On Turner, either box on 1 or 1-3-1. He splits the seem just below the elbow all the time. But we didn’t. Other than OSU, seems like we play with anybody. If you think about the season, should have won IU, Iowa, IL once, Wisky away (if Ott doesn’t travel at the 1:25 mark it’s a 7 pt. game and there is no OT) and Michigan at home. Add a win today, if it happens, and we’d be 9 and 9.

Then if they could just catch Cornell, then U Conn, and Notre Dame, maybe upset New Mexico State…I really can’t see a reason not to be in the elite 8 or Final Four. A Sweet Sixteen exit from the tourney would be a huge disappointment for me.

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:919"]let's say that Penn State wins today, and then gets Northwestern on Thursday in the BTT. A winnable game - and then let's say there is a Friday upset by PSU, and another one elsewhere in the bracket. All of a sudden PSU has a chance of playing for a tourney berth on Sunday. This is a crazy scenario, yes. But the way I see it, a win today at least opens the door to it because PSU is more athletic than Northwestern and can advance past round 1 if they face them. Minnesota may be winnable as well. 4 wins in 4 days would take luck, cause I can't see this group going through Ohio State, MSU, and Purdue in a weekend. But if some other upset gives PSU a better matchup, I think it could happen. This team reminds me of the 1998 (?) Illinois team with Kruger that lacked seniors, won 3 games in conference, and then made it to Sunday of the BT tourney. let's hope this is the way it plays out, to erase the awful image of that 0-12 start. I go back and look at the scores of those games, and I really am surprised a team could just falter late that often. They need to learn how to play better inside and next year will be a whole lot better[/quote]

Then if they could just catch Cornell, then U Conn, and Notre Dame, maybe upset New Mexico State…I really can’t see a reason not to be in the elite 8 or Final Four. A Sweet Sixteen exit from the tourney would be a huge disappointment for me.

Hey, haven’t you heard, PSU>NW>ND>UConn? Of course, you could put Indiana at the front of this chain.

New Mexico State? I think it’s New Mexico. Interestingly, when Alford left Iowa to go there he said he wanted to go to a school where basketball wasn’t second fiddle to football. Maybe he had a point. He certainly succeeded quickly enough. Coaches have them 10th, AP, 8th.