PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Winning over students one Big Mac at a time

Pat Chambers is the man… there’s really nothing else to say. He is clearly the PERFECT man for this job.

Yeah, I agree. I really hope next season is the start of something big.

It’s on the Yahoo! homepage as one of the top stories.

Yahoo! Sports Minute

Hopefully I did this right…

[quote=“JohnT, post:23, topic:3077”]It’s on the Yahoo! homepage as one of the top stories.

Yahoo! Sports Minute

Hopefully I did this right…[/quote]

I’m not trying to beat a dead horse but can we finally put to rest that Coach Chamber’s tenure is starting like any of our previous Coaches. I get that he was saying all the right things like he’s supposed to but very quickly he has distinguished himself as being “different”. We’ve never gotten the kind of pub. that we’re getting now (especially when we aren’t anywhere near the bubble)

Look at all the stories about Joepa. One of the lasting things was his visability on campus. I’m getting that Pat’s doing something similar, but in his own way.

[quote=“MarkH, post:25, topic:3077”]Look at all the stories about Joepa. One of the lasting things was his visability on campus. I’m getting that Pat’s doing something similar, but in his own way.[/quote]Yeah I can’t see JoePa passing out Big Macs or wearing eye black and shoulder pads screaming into a bullhorn

[quote="MarkH, post:25, topic:3077"]Look at all the stories about Joepa. One of the lasting things was his visability on campus. I'm getting that Pat's doing something similar, but in his own way.[/quote]Yeah I can't see JoePa passing out Big Macs or wearing eye black and shoulder pads screaming into a bullhorn

That’s because he didn’t need to.

The guy lived 2 blocks from campus and walked to work. So many people have stories about everyday encounters with JoePa. )Not to pick on him, but it’s the only other example I have) how many poeple have similar encounters with DeChellis?

These coaches are multi-millionaires and begin to seperate themeselves from the general public. Huge houses on the golf coarse are not an unusual perk. The best promotion you can have, especially with college-aged kids, is what I like to call the “illusion of inclusion”. Make them feel that they are PART of something, and they will show up in droves. That’s why Cameron Crazies are so passionate.

[quote="MarkH, post:25, topic:3077"]Look at all the stories about Joepa. One of the lasting things was his visability on campus. I'm getting that Pat's doing something similar, but in his own way.[/quote]Yeah I can't see JoePa passing out Big Macs or wearing eye black and shoulder pads screaming into a bullhorn

The guy lived 2 blocks from campus and walked to work. So many people have stories about everyday encounters with JoePa. )Not to pick on him, but it’s the only other example I have) how many poeple have similar encounters with DeChellis?

These coaches are multi-millionaires and begin to seperate themeselves from the general public. Huge houses on the golf coarse are not an unusual perk. The best promotion you can have, especially with college-aged kids, is what I like to call the “illusion of inclusion”. Make them feel that they are PART of something, and they will show up in droves. That’s why Cameron Crazies are so passionate.

Never said he did have to . Just said i couldn’t see JoePa doing some of the stuff PC is doing :wink: No knock on Joe was intended with that ;D

Never said he did have to . Just said i couldn’t see JoePa doing some of the stuff PC is doing :wink: No knock on Joe was intended with that ;D

Pretty sure the Big Mac wasn’t invented until the 1970s.

Big Mac invented in 1967 in western PA to compete with the Eat-n-Park Big Boy sandwich.

P.S. I still remember my first trip to a McDonalds. Ohio River Blvd (near Bellevue.)

[quote=“tundra, post:30, topic:3077”]Big Mac invented in 1967 in western PA to compete with the Eat-n-Park Big Boy sandwich.

P.S. I still remember my first trip to a McDonalds. Ohio River Blvd (near Bellevue.)[/quote]

I found this hard to believe, although the pure syntactic knuckleheadedness of the Eat-n-Park has made that frnchise stick with me since I first spotted one in the late 70s. And it was on Ray Kroc’s radar, too! Big Mac

I didn’t know Eat-n-Park was once a Big Boy franchise. Interesting.

Back in the day, franchises were handled much differently than what is the norm now. A lot of franchises were restaurants that were already established and took on the franchise as an addition to their name. Elby’s & Shoney’s were other Big Boy franchises at one time. Ofetn, only part of the menu would be franchise menu. it allowed the restaurant to keep a bit of their own identity as well as offering a widely familiar brand to attract out of towners passing by.

Kentucky Fried Chicken was another one that used to run on the same model. Reps would go around to existing restaurants and sell them the right to add the Colonel’s fried chicken to their menu. The KFC corporation would provide the prepackaged breading & frying equipment. I grew up two blocks from an old fashoined KFC franchise called Varias which was a family restaurant run by the family of TJB’s college roomie. They offered their own full menu, in addition to KFC.

I didn’t take it as a knock.

I was just going out of my way to pay a tribute to Paterno.

Most coaches have to go out of their way to make it seem like they are part of the community. Some coaches ARE part of the community.

I didn’t take it as a knock.

I was just going out of my way to pay a tribute to Paterno.

Most coaches have to go out of their way to make it seem like they are part of the community. Some coaches ARE part of the community.

I actually ran into Bill O’Brien after the game on Thursday. I was meeting some friends from Iowa who were staying at the Penn Stater. When I walked into the lounge, O’Brien was sitting at the bar by himself having a shrimp cocktail. I don’t think any of the people in the bar knew who he was. He was probably there for half an hour and, other than us, no one approached him. He’d better enjoy that while he can because that’s not going to last much longer.

I think O’Brien is living at the Penn Stater at the moment.

[quote="UncleLar, post:35, topic:3077"]I actually ran into Bill O'Brien after the game on Thursday. I was meeting some friends from Iowa who were staying at the Penn Stater. When I walked into the lounge, O'Brien was sitting at the bar by himself having a shrimp cocktail. I don't think any of the people in the bar knew who he was. He was probably there for half an hour and, other than us, no one approached him. He'd better enjoy that while he can because that's not going to last much longer.[/quote]

I think O’Brien is living at the Penn Stater at the moment.

He is. I guess I should have pointed that out rather than make it seem like he was hanging out at the bar.

[quote="timauman, post:36, topic:3077"]I think O'Brien is living at the Penn Stater at the moment.[/quote] He is. I guess I should have pointed that out rather than make it seem like he was hanging out at the bar.

Yeah, we don’t want people to think that our new coach & Lar are cut from the same cloth!

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:3077"]Gotta hand it to Pat. He understands human nature and marketing. He also understands how important it is to get the students on his side and filling up the BJC.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/02/14/3090055/penn-state-student-fans-to-get.html#storylink=rss#wgt=rss[/quote]

I wish there were some way to validate that the ticket was actually used before he buys them a Big Mac. My guess is that the majority of the tickets that will be redeemed will be those that kids just happened to find sitting around the their dorm rooms after they returned from canning. Given how poorly the students turned out for the game, and given the likelihood that many of those who were actually at the game just tossed their stubs, I bet many of the freeloaders will be ones that were even there.

Then again, a little more publicity is a good thing, too.

Why was this disparaging reference necessary?

The people who showed up may have been those who “found” ticket stubs, or they may have been people who held onto them after the game. Either way, they received benefit from what was a promotional event that likely generated good publicity for PC and the program. Calling them freeloaders is slight that is undeserved.

To me, your unneeded criticism reminds me of the analogy of the pot calling the kettle black, since you yourself took advantage of the “free” game vs. Hartford. Et tu UncleLar?

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:3077"]Gotta hand it to Pat. He understands human nature and marketing. He also understands how important it is to get the students on his side and filling up the BJC.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/02/14/3090055/penn-state-student-fans-to-get.html#storylink=rss#wgt=rss[/quote]

I wish there were some way to validate that the ticket was actually used before he buys them a Big Mac. My guess is that the majority of the tickets that will be redeemed will be those that kids just happened to find sitting around the their dorm rooms after they returned from canning. Given how poorly the students turned out for the game, and given the likelihood that many of those who were actually at the game just tossed their stubs, I bet many of the freeloaders will be ones that were even there.

Then again, a little more publicity is a good thing, too.

Why was this disparaging reference necessary?

The people who showed up may have been those who “found” ticket stubs, or they may have been people who held onto them after the game. Either way, they received benefit from what was a promotional event that likely generated good publicity for PC and the program. Calling them freeloaders is slight that is undeserved.

To me, your unneeded criticism reminds me of the analogy of the pot calling the kettle black, since you yourself took advantage of the “free” game vs. Hartford. Et tu UncleLar?

I have season tickets so I wasn’t freeloading off of anything.