PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Winning over students one Big Mac at a time

Gotta hand it to Pat. He understands human nature and marketing. He also understands how important it is to get the students on his side and filling up the BJC.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/02/14/3090055/penn-state-student-fans-to-get.html#storylink=rss#wgt=rss

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:3077”]Gotta hand it to Pat. He understands human nature and marketing. He also understands how important it is to get the students on his side and filling up the BJC.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/02/14/3090055/penn-state-student-fans-to-get.html#storylink=rss#wgt=rss[/quote]

He gets it. He absolutely, positively, 100% gets it.

Haha. That is good stuff !

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:3077”]Gotta hand it to Pat. He understands human nature and marketing. He also understands how important it is to get the students on his side and filling up the BJC.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/02/14/3090055/penn-state-student-fans-to-get.html#storylink=rss#wgt=rss[/quote]

I wish there were some way to validate that the ticket was actually used before he buys them a Big Mac. My guess is that the majority of the tickets that will be redeemed will be those that kids just happened to find sitting around the their dorm rooms after they returned from canning. Given how poorly the students turned out for the game, and given the likelihood that many of those who were actually at the game just tossed their stubs, I bet many of the freeloaders will be ones that were even there.

Then again, a little more publicity is a good thing, too.

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:3077"]Gotta hand it to Pat. He understands human nature and marketing. He also understands how important it is to get the students on his side and filling up the BJC.

I wish there were some way to validate that the ticket was actually used before he buys them a Big Mac. My guess is that the majority of the tickets that will be redeemed will be those that kids just happened to find sitting around the their dorm rooms after they returned from canning. Given how poorly the students turned out for the game, and given the likelihood that many of those who were actually at the game just tossed their stubs, I bet many of the freeloaders will be ones that were even there.

And even if Pat was there just handing out free Big Macs to any student…ticket, shirt or not…it would be a win, win, win, win, win, win, win for the program.

Then again, if you’re against childhood obesity, maybe it wouldn’t be a win for the program.

“Penn State had 67 points with just over two minutes remaining in Saturday’s game but Chambers, who had a big lead and didn’t want to show up Nebraska’s Doc Sadler, pulled his starters and instructed his backups to hold the ball for the final possession.”

Well this is kind of sort of true. Didn’t he leave Tim in to try for the triple-double. Then pull him after a stop in time.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:6, topic:3077”]“Penn State had 67 points with just over two minutes remaining in Saturday’s game but Chambers, who had a big lead and didn’t want to show up Nebraska’s Doc Sadler, pulled his starters and instructed his backups to hold the ball for the final possession.”

Well this is kind of sort of true. Didn’t he leave Tim in to try for the triple-double. Then pull him after a stop in time.[/quote]

That is correct, sir. After several attempts, Timmy was finally pulled from the game with only 13.1 seconds remaining. PSU had one more possession after that but dribbled the clock out with the crowd yelling “Big Mac” or something of that nature. You could certainly tell by watching the game on the tube that the crowd was none too pleased at the Nits for not attempting a last shot.

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:3077"]Gotta hand it to Pat. He understands human nature and marketing. He also understands how important it is to get the students on his side and filling up the BJC.

While I agree that the majority of tickets will be unused tickets, last weekend was not a canning weekend. It was moved to the weekend before. Even less of an excuse for the kids who did not show up.

I agree that he tried to get Tim the assist right up to the end, which sort of means he did not just look for easy points. So in a way… :slight_smile:

In the arena, you could see Chambers trying to get Ryan’s attention to let him know that Frazier needed one so Bo would know why he was still in the game.

[quote="tjb, post:9, topic:3077"]I agree that he tried to get Tim the assist right up to the end, which sort of means he did not just look for easy points. So in a way.... :)[/quote]

In the arena, you could see Chambers trying to get Ryan’s attention to let him know that Frazier needed one so Bo would know why he was still in the game.

Do you mean Nebraska’s coach?

That reminds me. I wonder why Craftsy hasn’t been complaining about Chambers’ “lack of sportsmanship and class”

Remember this from last year?

[quote="tjb, post:9, topic:3077"]I agree that he tried to get Tim the assist right up to the end, which sort of means he did not just look for easy points. So in a way.... :)[/quote]

Bo hiding inside of Doc’s suit?

Bo hiding inside of Doc’s suit?

LOL.

Photo Gallery

Here’s a little video if you want it

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-basketball-pat-chambers-hands-out-big-macs-to-fans-1005470/

Too bad our head coach is such an introvert :wink:

Coach Chambers Serves Big Macs at McDonald’s

[quote="tjb, post:9, topic:3077"][b]I agree that he tried to get Tim the assist right up to the end[/b], which sort of means he did not just look for easy points. So in a way.... :)[/quote]

That reminds me. I wonder why Craftsy hasn’t been complaining about Chambers’ “lack of sportsmanship and class”

Remember this from last year?

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:274, topic:1925”]MSU was still playing and trying to score because they wanted to achieve some stupid, made-up statistical achievement for one of their players at the expense of sportsmanship and class.[/quote]

I thought he should have taken Frazier out a little bit sooner than he did. Not going to spoil a good win by throwing a fit about it on the message board.

Obviously I was frustrated last year about losing an important game and probably overacted a bit but there was also a circumstance there where a hard foul was committed on a guy making it a much hairier situation than this…

Of course, why this matters to you I’m not really sure. I certainly get a kick out of you worrying so damn much about everyone else though, you never miss an opportunity to say ‘I told you so’… it’s really charming.