PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Will PSU win @ Illinois?

This is a huge game to keep the momentum. Need a good road win.

Biggest games are vs. Minnesota IMO. B10 will send 6 teams and Illinois & Minnesota are the teams to beat to get to # 6.

While it’s possible that we send 6, I don’t see it that way. We may send 7, and we may send only 4-5 depending on how everything plays out.

I voted for “no”. While I’d love a win, this is going to be a very tough one and you can bet that everyone will be ready for us from here on out. It would be really nice to get this one, but I think the road games over Northwestern and Minnesota are much more winnable, and even MSU seems more beatable to me right now.

Can’t we just enjoy the win for a few hours? Of course we could win at Illinois, we could also lose. Let’s enjoy our first win over the Badgers in a LOOONG time and worry about the Illini tomorrow. K?

Big Ten could easily get seven. 68 teams get in. Thirty seven of them are at-large bids. If you figure that at least seven or eight automatic bids are to teams considered top forty, you only have to be in the top 45 to get in.

It’s not like anyone in the 30-45 range looks like Final Four material. Of you have a decent showing in the Big 10 this year, you should get in.

Of course we will beat Illinois. We beat them at home and we’ve beaten them on the road before. No reason to think we won’t win. The NCAA tournament awaits.

I gotta think we’re in their heads, at least a little bit. Gotta count for something so yeah, I’m saying we win. Minimize turnovers and don’t go into long scoring droughts. Looking for a scorer off the bench, so I’ll say Woodyard is due. Let’s dance.

I’m not picking against this PSU team for the rest of the season. We can beat any team in the conference right now. Will we beat every team? No, but I don’t think Illinois is one of those losses.

We always play them tough. I would expect it to be tight.

In his Wisconsin post game comments Dick Jerardi said something like… It will probably take five more wins to get a spot in the NCAA tourney, but why settle for that?

I could not agree more, and more importantly, I think that is how this team is looking at it.

Heck yea we win!

The only game that the Illini have won in their last five is against a reeling MSU at home. And the Illini are playing worse than when PSU beat them, while PSU is playing better.

They are probably the tallest team in the Big Ten, yet play very small in the paint and on the boards, which will certainly play to PSU’s advantage.

Also, the Illini have played very sloppy ball of late. Taking quick and wild shots at the hoop instead of working the ball around to get better shots, something PSU has really done a nice job with since slowing down their offense. Do the Illini have the patience to defend PSU for 30 seconds a pop, only to have Battle or DJ or Brooks hit big shot after big shot. It becomes deflating after a while, and I’ve seen this Illini team shrivel under those sort of circumstances lately.

The one thing PSU must watch out for, which they did a good job against Wisconsin, is defending the 3 like their life depended upon it. Richardson, McCamey, Paul and Cole can all stroke it from distance if you give them some room.

It certainly looks as if PSU can and will win this game, but…

…like I said before, it will come down to the last possession as it always seems to do. Put 57-57 with a minute remaining on the scoreboard and tip it off at half court.

I honestly think that right now this team is one of the 25 best in the country. And yeah, I think we will beat Illinois. But I also do think Illinois is going to catch us in one of these nailbiters. And I think the next game will be of the same variety.

If they keep playing the way they are there really shouldn’t be any game that we go into not at least not thinking it is winnable. I think our dancing dreams are going to boil down to mental toughness(and I hate those words a lot when it comes to sports and talking about teams).

I think this team finally has got “it”. Two heartbreaking losses on the road to two(I think) Final Four contenders and they snap back and do what they have to.

It’s going to be very fun and a very interesting ride.

I say yes. Kurse of Krush rises back up to bites the Illini again.

Kurse of Krush, eh? Remember when the Krush finagled their way into the BJC under the guise of being from a PSU branch campus? They scored some prime seats and shortly before the game tipped off, they pulled off their sweatshirts (some of which was PSU gear) to reveal their Orange Krush shirts underneath. They cheered loudly all game long, easily dominating the volume in the BJC as the Illini dominated PSU on the court.

A very clever ruse on their part, but perhaps it put a curse on their team. What year was that, and what has our record been against Illinois since that game? I’d bet it is about PSU’s best record against any BigTen team outside of Northwestern in that time period.

I say yes. Kurse of Krush rises back up to bites the Illini again.

Kurse of Krush, eh? Remember when the Krush finagled their way into the BJC under the guise of being from a PSU branch campus? They scored some prime seats and shortly before the game tipped off, they pulled off their sweatshirts (some of which was PSU gear) to reveal their Orange Krush shirts underneath. They cheered loudly all game long, easily dominating the volume in the BJC as the Illini dominated PSU on the court.

A very clever ruse on their part, but perhaps it put a curse on their team. What year was that, and what has our record been against Illinois since that game? I’d bet it is about PSU’s best record against any BigTen team outside of Northwestern in that time period.

PSU is 5-4 since the Krush prank, not really a big margin to be curse worthy. Ever since Krush prank and the previous win at Illinois that broke their home floor winning streak, PSU and Illini have played tight barn-burners in there match ups.

PSU is bringing its winter weather curse to Champaign (1+ feet of snow), so that could keep the ILL crowd down.

I’d think the team would fly out early.