PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Will Penn State beat Maryland in basketball?

Will Penn State defeat Maryland in the 2010 Big Ten / ACC Challenge? (this is the question) Yes or No.

Other things to consider about this game : PSU has done well in recent years in the challenge and the game is at home this year? Could this be revenge for Battle and the rest of the team for getting into the NCAAs over PSU in 2008-2009 with a 7-9 ACC conference record? Lets face it. If PSU finishes 9-9 or 10-8 in the BigTen, is this the most important non conference game that could determine whether or not PSU gets in? With the extra play-in games, is this PSU - Maryland PSU’s most important non conference game?

Maryland loses too much from last year. We have too much coming back.

We have their best recruit on our team. ;D

Maryland loses their Top 3 scorers from last year and the game is in the BJC… they better win. Maryland has some good recruits, but I don’t think they’ll be good enough to take them over the top. They should be a bubble team at best this season.

Through 20 votes, there are 16 votes (80%) for Penn State winning and 4 votes (20%) for Maryland winning. I have not voted in this poll yet so this is all you guys.

Considering PSU’s success in the BigTen / ACC credit, the fact that the game is a home game, and thanks to members Skeeza and noobd I now know that Maryland has lost some of their good players last year, their top 3 scorers in fact, the 80%/20% split seems reasonable. There certainly are things going in PSU’s favor, but also those grounded and not willing to predict a PSU win. I respect that.

Do you guys see this similar to when PSU lost 3 of its starters Cornley, Pringle, and Morrissey going into last season? (Morrissey didn’t always start but sometimes did) The general consensus last year for PSU seemed to be bubble team at best. With the new play-in spots, and PSU’s OOC schedule, would you guys agree that this is the biggest non conference game to win with the most return and clout for a resume builder. If Maryland finishes 7-9 like it did in 2008-09 for example, and PSU finish 9-9 or 10-8, this win could get PSU in over Maryland. Maybe Maryland doesn’t make the tournament, but perhaps also they reload and have some good young players. Penn State has seniors on this team so it need to show Maryland that PSU is a more experienced and polished team.

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:4, topic:1355”]Through 20 votes, there are 16 votes (80%) for Penn State winning and 4 votes (20%) for Maryland winning. I have not voted in this poll yet so this is all you guys.

Considering PSU’s success in the BigTen / ACC credit, the fact that the game is a home game, and thanks to members Skeeza and noobd I now know that Maryland has lost some of their good players last year, their top 3 scorers in fact, the 80%/20% split seems reasonable. There certainly are things going in PSU’s favor, but also those grounded and not willing to predict a PSU win. I respect that.

Do you guys see this similar to when PSU lost 3 of its starters Cornley, Pringle, and Morrissey going into last season? (Morrissey didn’t always start but sometimes did) The general consensus last year for PSU seemed to be bubble team at best. With the new play-in spots, and PSU’s OOC schedule, would you guys agree that this is the biggest non conference game to win with the most return and clout for a resume builder. If Maryland finishes 7-9 like it did in 2008-09 for example, and PSU finish 9-9 or 10-8, this win could get PSU in over Maryland. Maybe Maryland doesn’t make the tournament, but perhaps also they reload and have some good young players. Penn State has seniors on this team so it need to show Maryland that PSU is a more experienced and polished team.[/quote]

According to LAr, getting into the tourney doesn’t have much to do with resume as it does with RPI.

As far as RPI is concerned, a win at Ole Miss or at VT is worth a lot more than a home win vs. Maryland.

As far as edging them out for an NCAA spot, Maryland was a bubble team last year with a 7-9 conf record. as you point out, they lose their top 3 scorers including Greivis Vasquez, whom some fail to point out, was ACC Player of the Year. BTW… do you know who they targeted to replace Vasquez? …that’s right, Taran Buie.

Ii doubt they are a bubble team. They lost too much.

I can guarantee you that he’s never said that. He’ll simply point out that an RPI is a key piece of your resume, and regardless of how good your resume might be, having an RPI of 70+ is almost a sure fire way of getting left home on Selection Sunday.

I really don’t know how the young players for Maryland will step up. They could surprise some people and play their way onto the bubble, or this could turn out to be another Georgia Tech in 2008-2009.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:4, topic:1355"]Through 20 votes, there are 16 votes (80%) for Penn State winning and 4 votes (20%) for Maryland winning. I have not voted in this poll yet so this is all you guys.

Do you guys see this similar to when PSU lost 3 of its starters Cornley, Pringle, and Morrissey going into last season? (Morrissey didn’t always start but sometimes did) The general consensus last year for PSU seemed to be bubble team at best. With the new play-in spots, and PSU’s OOC schedule, would you guys agree that this is the biggest non conference game to win with the most return and clout for a resume builder. If Maryland finishes 7-9 like it did in 2008-09 for example, and PSU finish 9-9 or 10-8, this win could get PSU in over Maryland. Maybe Maryland doesn’t make the tournament, but perhaps also they reload and have some good young players. Penn State has seniors on this team so it need to show Maryland that PSU is a more experienced and polished team.[/quote]

According to LAr, getting into the tourney doesn’t have much to do with resume as it does with RPI.

As far as RPI is concerned, a win at Ole Miss or at VT is worth a lot more than a home win vs. Maryland.

As far as edging them out for an NCAA spot, Maryland was a bubble team last year with a 7-9 conf record. as you point out, they lose their top 3 scorers including Greivis Vasquez, whom some fail to point out, was ACC Player of the Year. BTW… do you know who they targeted to replace Vasquez? …that’s right, Taran Buie.

Ii doubt they are a bubble team. They lost too much.

Agree with this part.

Bubble team at best.

As for how much a potential win does for a resume… yet to be seen since there are no numbers to crunch. Maryland does pass the eye test though, no matter what their numbers are (assuming they aren’t awful). Fairfield might be a better numbers win in the end, but Maryland has the prestige, FWIW.

Ole Miss and VT will be real good. For whatever reason, that crappy Rivals Power Rankings thing doesn’t even have Ole Miss on their bubble team list for the SEC. Ole Miss went 21-10 (24-11 after NIT) last season, they weren’t too far from making the NCAAs. Factor in that they only lose their 5th scorer (Polynice, transfer to Seton Hall), while adding some nice recruits, and I think you have a team thats dancing.

Don’t know if PSU wins, but I voted yes…and they better.