PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Will Pat and PSU basketball survive this scandal?

How do you think PC and staff will look at the end of this fight? Will his ability to recruit and try to build this program suffer greatly?

They will look fine, and no, they won’t suffer.

It will hurt maybe for a class or two but if BOT cleans house, he will get past it. Its football thats going to take a hit more then the other sports. The X-Factor is if there is a new AD, what type of relationship they develop and resources Chambers will gain or loose. Since they are new and from outside of the “good ole boy” network, it probably a good thing for Chambers.

With Paterno gone soon and the football program less of a monolith, Chambers may think he has a better opportunity to build PSU Basketball.

I know Curley was highly thought of by Penn State coaches, despite his critics on message boards. I’m concerned with our ability to attract and retain some of our best coaches during transitions of the AD and possibly University president. Sherbourne might get the AD job on a permanent basis, but there might also be momentum to bring in a leader from the outside.

Honestly, I’d put the chances of that happening at less than 5% (and that might be a high estimate). Someone will be coming in from the outside to clean up this mess, and even if they weren’t from the outside, it woudln’t be someone that close to the football program.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:4, topic:2782”]With Paterno gone soon and the football program less of a monolith, Chambers may think he has a better opportunity to build PSU Basketball.

I know Curley was highly thought of by Penn State coaches, despite his critics on message boards. I’m concerned with our ability to attract and retain some of our best coaches during transitions of the AD and possibly University president. Sherbourne might get the AD job on a permanent basis, but there might also be momentum to bring in a leader from the outside.[/quote]

God I hope its someone from outside, or at least haven’t been in the program for a long time. Nothing against Sherbourne, but it would be a bad message to just promote from with in at this point.

The best and quickest chance to put all this behind us is to clean house immediately. I’m talking the AD’s office, the Presidents office, the University police department and possibly the head football coach. The quicker it gets done, the better. Our brand may suffer some, but people will think we are serious about our brand if we take these actions quickly and decisively. And we can recover from this.

Wholeheartedly agree. And it can’t happen soon enough, IMO.

I am to the point that I agree with you, Joe will be the last one that goes which will be at the end of this season.

With Paterno gone soon and the football program less of a monolith, Chambers may think he has a [i]better [/i]opportunity to build PSU Basketball.

I know Curley was highly thought of by Penn State coaches, despite his critics on message boards. I’m concerned with our ability to attract and retain some of our best coaches during transitions of the AD and possibly University president. Sherbourne might get the AD job on a permanent basis, but there might also be momentum to bring in a leader from the outside.

God I hope its someone from outside, or at least haven’t been in the program for a long time. Nothing against Sherbourne, but it would be a bad message to just promote from with in at this point.

Joe Battista says “hello” :slight_smile: He’s from the inside, but clearly is not in the good ole boy network at PSU.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:4, topic:2782"]With Paterno gone soon and the football program less of a monolith, Chambers may think he has a [i]better [/i]opportunity to build PSU Basketball.

I know Curley was highly thought of by Penn State coaches, despite his critics on message boards. I’m concerned with our ability to attract and retain some of our best coaches during transitions of the AD and possibly University president. Sherbourne might get the AD job on a permanent basis, but there might also be momentum to bring in a leader from the outside.[/quote]

Joe Battista says “hello” :slight_smile:

Funny you mention that, I did talk about this with my brother and he is one name that came up if anyone in the system could take over, it was JoeBa.

The best and quickest chance to put all this behind us is to clean house immediately. I'm talking the AD's office, the Presidents office, the University police department and possibly the head football coach. The quicker it gets done, the better. Our brand may suffer some, but people will think we are serious about our brand if we take these actions quickly and decisively. And we can recover from this.

I am to the point that I agree with you, Joe will be the last one that goes which will be at the end of this season.

And I’d be okay with that since he isn’t considered a suspect in any of this.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:4, topic:2782"]With Paterno gone soon and the football program less of a monolith, Chambers may think he has a [i]better [/i]opportunity to build PSU Basketball.

Joe Battista says “hello” :slight_smile:

Funny you mention that, I did talk about this with my brother and he is one name that came up if anyone in the system could take over, it was JoeBa.

JoeBa is probably the only guy on the inside that should be considered a candidate. He was the hockey coach when most of this went down, so he almost assuredly had zero knowledge of what was happening. And he’s one of my favorite people on the PSU campus.

[quote="TreysWay3, post:1, topic:2782"]How do you think PC and staff will look at the end of this fight? Will his ability to recruit and try to build this program suffer greatly?[/quote]

They will look fine, and no, they won’t suffer.

Might hurt the early signing period. Doesn’t that start next week? I don’t see long term implications, but maybe short ones. IMO, this needs to be handled swiftly, decisively.

With Paterno gone soon and the football program less of a monolith, Chambers may think he has a [i]better [/i]opportunity to build PSU Basketball.

Keep in mind, many AD’s are thought of highly by coaches, if they leave the coaches alone, and give them as much free reins as possible. It’s probably one of the reasons why this wasn’t addressed properly. Not Joe’s fault, IMO, but maybe a conscious or unconscious effort was made to handle it discreetly, quietly. Pretty awful that they never looked to find the kid, or never reported it so child services could find the kid. Think of what that kid(s) had to handle on their own, in bed at night, staring at the ceiling, or getting up each day. Life isn’t difficult enough? Very sad story, the details gut wrenching. Sandusky lucky to not be in these states.

“We saw the tsunami wave coming to Texas,” said Shannon Edmonds, state lobbyist for the Texas District and County Attorneys Association. Last year, South Carolina adopted the death penalty for the second offense of raping a child under age 11. Oklahoma followed, passing Jessica’s Law with a death penalty provision for raping a child under age 14. Texas already had some of the toughest child predator laws on the books with its two-strikes rule that sends child predators to jail for life. But the push for even harsher punishment was coming from the state leadership, rather than from the grass roots, as tightening of criminal laws often does. “Prosecutors will tell you these are the most difficult cases to get a guilty verdict on,” Edmonds said. “Prosecutors lose more of these cases than any other.”

Can this case really go to court? IMO, he’ll end up pleading no contest, to a somewhat lesser plea, which the prosecutors will accept to avoid the victims being on the witness stand. Indefensible case for the defense. If Sandusky has any regret, remorse, etc., he won’t put these kids through this. Although prosecutors lose more of these than any other, probably not with an adult eyewitness. Has to be tough on MM.

I’d like to see the University take charge of athletics, and really be in charge. Of course, the alumni will never put up with it.

But as it stands now, the university president and the athletic director can go fire the football coach, and he can tell them to pound sand. And get away with it.

That’s the culture that allows this kind of thing to happen.

[quote="mjg, post:7, topic:2782"]The best and quickest chance to put all this behind us is to clean house immediately. I'm talking the AD's office, the Presidents office, the University police department and possibly the head football coach. The quicker it gets done, the better. Our brand may suffer some, but people will think we are serious about our brand if we take these actions quickly and decisively. And we can recover from this.[/quote]

Wholeheartedly agree. And it can’t happen soon enough, IMO.

+2.

NOBODY on the inside should be considered a candidate! This is NOT rocket science. There are Tons of qualified candidates available.

Yes, and in fact, if we clean house like it has been earlier suggested, the basketball team will get a ton of support from the alumni.

EDIT: And I mean the basketball team can be someone we all rally behind. They may not be the most talented team, but with the way Chambers has them playing, and the way he coaches, they’ll win the hearts of a lot of sad alums.

[quote=“tjb, post:15, topic:2782”]I’d like to see the University take charge of athletics, and really be in charge. Of course, the alumni will never put up with it.

But as it stands now, the university president and the athletic director can go fire the football coach, and he can tell them to pound sand. And get away with it.

That’s the culture that allows this kind of thing to happen.[/quote]

And that, Tim, is the culture Spanier and perhaps Curley were trying to change, and Paterno was fighting them on. And Paterno is/was the better bureaucratic in-fighter. Well, the hegemony of the Paterno Family and the insulation of the football program are about to disappear, and it will have both good and bad effects.

[quote="tjb, post:15, topic:2782"]I'd like to see the University take charge of athletics, and really be in charge. Of course, the alumni will never put up with it.

That’s the culture that allows this kind of thing to happen.[/quote]

And that, Tim, is the culture Spanier and perhaps Curley were trying to change, and Paterno was fighting them on. And Paterno is/was the better bureaucratic in-fighter. Well, the hegemony of the Paterno Family and the insulation of the football program are about to disappear, and it will have both good and bad effects.

We allowed it to happen.

I think that the basketball program will be fine. Maybe this will make some recruits think twice about coming to Penn State, but I think that’s the extent that this goes to. We have run a pretty clean program. This is a team the fans and alumni can rally around. What’s not to like about Pat Chambers.