Will our freshman ever make a significant impact?

Edwards has been a turnover machine and his shot selection has been poor. But he does have ability to take his man off the dribble and he can also rebound. I think tht he has a chance to be good.

Frazier plays good defense and he takes pressure off of Battle when he brings the ball up the floor. But he has absolutely no offensive swagger at all. You can’t compete like that in the Big Ten (at least at PG).

Borovnjak might contribute in a few years but he’s not very athletic. He’ll have to make his contribution with brute strength.

These kids are just true freshmen so its very early to make predictions. Problem is that we haven’t seen much improvement. I’m not encouraged.

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:839”]Edwards has been a turnover machine and his shot selection has been poor. But he does have ability to take his man off the dribble and he can also rebound. I think tht he has a chance to be good.

Frazier plays good defense and he takes pressure off of Battle when he brings the ball up the floor. But he has absolutely no offensive swagger at all. You can’t compete like that in the Big Ten (at least at PG).

Borovnjak might contribute in a few years but he’s not very athletic. He’ll have to make his contribution with brute strength.

These kids are just true freshmen so its very early to make predictions. Problem is that we haven’t seen much improvement. I’m not encouraged.[/quote]

I think Edwards and Frazier will become decent 4th/5th options as Jr/Srs. Fringe starters/quality bench men. Sasa looks like a project. Frazier does some things well, but he’s no threat to score, which hurts the offense.

The other problem with playing Frazier and Babb at the same time is that the offense becomes very predictable. Either Babb spots up for 3 or Talor bails us out.

Look at Babb’s shot totals. He’s shot 130 of 170 shots as 3s, which is unreal.

Lets be real here. These guys came in out of high school and have been asked to fill the shoes of 3 guys that aren’t going to be forgotten anytime soon. I’m not saying you should sit there and give them a free pass, but we aren’t sitting here talking about how Bill Edwards, or Fraizer just lost us he game. Our problems are bigger than that. These guys have played less than a season on a team that has one really good player, and a few guys that step up time from time. Lets cut them a little bit of slack, they’re freshman in the best conference in the country on the league’s worst team currently.

Edwards has been a turnover machine and his shot selection has been poor. But he does have ability to take his man off the dribble and he can also rebound. I think tht he has a chance to be good.

These kids are just true freshmen so its very early to make predictions. Problem is that we haven’t seen much improvement. I’m not encouraged.

I think Edwards and Frazier will become decent 4th/5th options as Jr/Srs. Fringe starters/quality bench men. Sasa looks like a project. Frazier does some things well, but he’s no threat to score, which hurts the offense.

The other problem with playing Frazier and Babb at the same time is that the offense becomes very predictable. Either Babb spots up for 3 or Talor bails us out.

Look at Babb’s shot totals. He’s shot 130 of 170 shots as 3s, which is unreal.

I think Frazier will develop into somewhat of a dependable player, 8-12ppg. Good on D, should get more confidence as he clears opponents so easily on his jumper and he penetrates so well. Babb a mystery. I see he drove today, but at 6’5", you’d think he’d post up a bit, beat his man off the dribble a bit, something different. His game is one dimensional.

I don’t want to start a new thread on this, but if a schollie opens, this kid’s worth watching: Cory Quimby. Disclosure:never seen him play. But he’s 6’6", and playing DII for Dominican. He’s only played 10 games, at center, and has done okay, but may be hurt, as he started 6 of 10, and hasn’t played recently, but is averaging over 6rpg, and is 5th in scoring. Why do I like him? Well, like Buie, he made 2nd team all NYS last year, along with guys like Durand Scott, who’s 4th in scoring for Miami, FL and James Padgett of Maryland, who’s 8th man on the Terps. In HS, he scored like crazy, putting up big numbers twice vs. Newburgh, who was state champ. Newburgh easily beat Buie and Maginn. If you click the Newburgh link, you can see they trounced them. Newburgh also beat Lance Stephenson and Lincoln. I saw them once and they were tough, but never thought they’d beat Lincoln, but I don’t think it was close. I have no idea if he’s good, but he hasn’t taken a 3 all season for Dominican, and plays the post. Ahd if you go by how he did in HS vs. quality comp, he scored more vs Newburgh than Lance Stephenson and Taran Buie, so he’s gotta have something.

HS stats

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/jNLKtamEskeH8O038VaGAQ/basketball-winter-08-09/stats-cory-quimby.htm

College - he must be hurt as his 4th in minutes in games played, and 5th in scoring. And he doesn’t take 3’s. I am close to CW Post, and saw them last year. They weren’t bad. He had 11 points 8 rebounds in that one. Had 4 or 5 8 rebound games. One 11 rebound game. Looks like he got hurt vs. Adelphia, playing only 2 minutes, but his games just prior were pretty good.

Shot in the dark, but second team all NYS in HS is big stuff. Battle was 4th team his junior year, Sylven Landesburg was 2nd team his junior year. Can’t DII kids switch to DI schools without sitting out a year?

http://www.chargerathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2009-2010/stats/teamcume.htm#TEAM.CMB

I’m desperate.