PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Why Philly recruits bypass Penn State basketball

Philly Daily News story hits on our recruiting hurdles

I heard the same Apologist crapuula when I started PSU in 1971.
Gosh, I am sick of it! >:(

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:2193”]I heard the same Apologist crapuula when I started PSU in 1971.
Gosh, I am sick of it! >:( [/quote]

So you don’t think there’s any truth to it. ::slight_smile:

Perhaps the reason that you heard in back in '71 was because it was true then, and it’s still true today.

Related story by Corey Giger.

http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/548253/Giger–PSU-s-basketball-identity-can-change-starting-with-this-NCAA-tourney.html?nav=746

I’m so tired of hearing the word “apologist” thrown around. As it becomes the excuse for
"non-apologists" (for lack of a better term ;D) time and time again. It’s a cop out to call someone an apologist when all they are doing is telling or reporting on the truth of the situation.

This is one of those times.

FTR, I’m not an “apologist”, rather a realist. And growing up and playing hoops in the Philly area in my teenage years, the only schools that were ever talked about were the Big East, the Big Five and UNC/Duke. That’s it.

I know someone on this board with a better grasp of PSU hoop history can do a better job of this, but look at where some of the better players that PSU has had over the past twenty years have come from.

Tom Hovasse - Colorado
Deron Hayes - Florida
James Barnes - ?
Money Brown - ?
Freddie Barnes - ?
John Amaechi - England (Vanderbilt)
Calvin Booth - Ohio
Matt Gaudio - West Virginia
Glenn Sekunda - New York (Syracuse)
Dan Earl - New Jersey
Pete Lisicky - Pennsylvania - Allentown area
Jarrett Stephens - Michigan
Crispins - New Jersey
Titus Ivory - North Carolina (how’d we ever score him…great player)
Gyasi Cline-Heard - Texas
Geary Claxton - Connecticut
Jamelle Cornley - Ohio
Talor Battle - New York
Jeff Brooks - Kentucky
Tim Frazier - Texas

Getting big-time players out of the Philly area hasn’t happened in the past 20+ years, (save for Andrew Jones, maybe)…that’s not being an apologist, that’s just being real.

Win and they will come

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:2193”]I’m so tired of hearing the word “apologist” thrown around. As it becomes the excuse for
"non-apologists" (for lack of a better term ;D) time and time again. It’s a cop out to call someone an apologist when all they are doing is telling or reporting on the truth of the situation.

FTR, I’m not an “apologist”, rather a realist. And growing up and playing hoops in the Philly area in my teenage years, the only schools that were ever talked about were the Big East, the Big Five and UNC/Duke. That’s it.

I know someone on this board with a better grasp of PSU hoop history can do a better job of this, but look at where some of the better players that PSU has had over the past twenty years have come from.

Tom Hovasse - Colorado
Deron Hayes - Florida
James Barnes - ?
Money Brown - ?
Freddie Barnes - ?
Calvin Booth - Ohio
Dan Earl - New Jersey
Crispins - New Jersey
Jamelle Cornley - Ohio
Talor Battle - New York
Jeff Brooks - Kentucky
Tim Frazier - Texas

Getting big-time players out of the Philly area hasn’t happened in the past 20+ years, (save for Andrew Jones, maybe)…that’s not being an apologist, that’s just being real.[/quote]

Tyler Smith - Illinois
DeRon Hayes - Florida
Freddie Barnes - North Carolina
Carver Clinton - Alabama
Money Brown - Maryland
Ron Brown - Brooklyn

The PA list is short (with no Philly presence)

Pete Lisicky - Allentown
Bob Weiss - Athens
Ed Fogell - Hatboro
DJ Jackson - Farrell

Chicken meet egg. You need players to win and the discussion is about the difficulty in getting players. We have to go through extra hurdles (no natural recruiting territory) to get said players.

Good post NittanyIllini, but I would consider Shawnee HS, Medford Lakes, NJ (Dan Earl) to be a Phila area school.

Ditto for Hatboro (Ed Fogell).

When people say we need to get some Philly kids in here, you can bet your bottom dollar they don’t mean S. Jersey kids.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:2193”]I’m so tired of hearing the word “apologist” thrown around. As it becomes the excuse for

Tom Hovasse - Colorado
Deron Hayes - Florida
James Barnes - ?
Money Brown - ?
Freddie Barnes - ?
Calvin Booth - Ohio
Dan Earl - New Jersey
Crispins - New Jersey
Jamelle Cornley - Ohio
Talor Battle - New York
Jeff Brooks - Kentucky
Tim Frazier - Texas

Getting big-time players out of the Philly area hasn’t happened in the past 20+ years, (save for Andrew Jones, maybe)…that’s not being an apologist, that’s just being real.[/quote]

+1 Your daily “apologist” commets here are getting old tundra. Could you consider giving it a rest, please?

I think the administration criticism is BS. Could they do more? Sure. But we’ve got everything in place that we need to take the next step.

As Steve Kerr said on CBS during the MSU game, there may be not tougher job in sports than taking a school in a major conference without a tradition to the next level. It only happens rarely. I keep saying (sorry) that Wisconsin and Pitt are the only places I’ve seen it happen in the last 20 or 30 years. Look at all those hot, genius coaches from four and five years ago ( and even three) who are getting canned now. They suddenly turned stupid?

Fact is, we can recruit a kid as hard as possible for three years, and if Duke offers him a scholarship to essentially be a practice player a day before signing day, he’s 95% likely to go to Duke. It’s happened. It will happen until it turns around.

These guys we have do everything right. They work their butts off. The kids they have brought in have been superb representatives of our school. If the lights had gone on for Jeff at the end of his sophomore year instead of the beginning of his senior year, we might be looking at a three year run of good basketball instead of two sandwiching a disaster.

We’re forced by our tradition to gamble on some long shots. Because of the way this staff and Penn State run the program, they have to be decent kids, too, and that also reduced the pool a bit. This team will turn the corner when a couple of those longshots come in in the same recruiting class or two, and we put together a run instead of peaking and valleying.

People seem to get angry about this reality. Everybody wants to win. But this is a hard, hard thing. I admire Penn State for doing it differently.

Man oh man…Wow this isn’t the day for this discussion…but I will give a comment. Talking about the past is well…moot… it the nicest way to describe it! I remember my PSU years. We had NYC kids, 2 Pgh area JCs, other city kids…etc, etc. But for 4 years I heard stereotypes excuses. The nation is FULL of basketball building success stories. Kerr…OK…take Arizonia. What were they until a “name” coach came to town to build a program! Today’s success stories were yesterday’s nobodies!
My problem with the posting Apologists is NOT the past…the past , is well, history ;)…It’s the excuses laid for the future…which is well…I better stop… nuff said!

While I agree in principle with the “apologist” line, I think we are all forgetting one point. We live in more of a “flavor of the month” world where one tweet can change a person’s life. Not saying it will be easy. But we have some advantages other teams didn’t have in the past. Almost every game we play is on TV. That used to only be true for the best programs. Plus, if they can get basketball players to Stillwater OK, then we can get players to University Park. It can be done.

Nobody is saying it can’t be done. And when it changes, it can happen overnight.

Couple of more points…(sorry, can’t resist)

So we ARE ABLE TO RECRUIT NATIONALLY…is that a bad thing??..I don’t understand?? ???
I thought it is usually a sign of a strong and healthy program.

I don’t think I have ever seen a college coach who doesn’t recruit “good kids.”

jim harrick? Bruce Pearl? (to name a couple…).

:frowning:

I really hope we win, it’s the perfect chance to show kids that you can actually win at Penn State in basketball.

I know. I’m just suggesting that it’s easier than it used to be. Still difficult. Just not as difficult.

Nobody is saying it can't be done. And when it changes, it can happen overnight.

I know. I’m just suggesting that it’s easier than it used to be. Still difficult. Just not as difficult.

Agree.