Why Not?

Why not let ED go after this season? We’re 7 years into his time here and we’re gonna finish last in the Big Ten? Taran isn’t going to change this team a whole lot (especially as a frosh), I think we’re looking at another NIT invite if we play well. Our confusion on offense is just too much for me, it doesn’t matter who you have on the floor, the players should know what they need to do and where to go. You don’t need top recruits to look competent on offense. I realize we’re recruiting much better and that’s a credit to ED but from what I’ve seen in regards to player development (why don’t our bigs know any post moves?) and our offense that looks lost I don’t see much hope. I really was hoping for Ed to succeed but to put in this kind of year after all these players are guys you’ve recruited and who have been in your system is embarrassing.

We might not get a big name coach but I don’t think we need a big name coach, we need someone who can implement his style of basketball into his team. I’m still waiting to see Ed’s style of bball.

I’m still gonna root for this team and Ed to succeed regardless though.

I’ve mentioned that on here a couple times, I know it may not be the popular choice to do and may not be the right one either but if we are going to do it now is the best time. The sole reason is that we have 5 scholarships available for 2011 class and I would rather the new coach have control of those then the outgoing one.

I’ll tell you why not. It wouldn’t be very Penn State. Who do you think we are, Penn?

For once let’s do something that’s not the Penn State way of doing things and admit that the whole world doesn’t revolve around PSU and there are people outside the PSU family that are capable of leading us to good things.

Why would we want to wallow in the mud with programs like Penn? I don’t think I could stomach PSU firing a coach midseason after just a couple of years. But that’s the Ivy League for you. I like the idea of PSU being a safehaven for coaches and a place where we give out athletic scholarships to those who can’t find them anywhere else.

Maybe not the “old” PSU way but PSU did release PSU grad All American Troy Sunderland as wrestling coach and brought in a very big name (maybe the biggest.)

[quote="pmhewitt, post:3, topic:670"]I'll tell you why not. It wouldn't be very Penn State. Who do you think we are, Penn?[/quote] Maybe not the "old" PSU way but PSU did release PSU grad All American Troy Sunderland as wrestling coach and brought in a very big name (maybe the biggest.)

Troy Sunderland “resigned”. Either he was asked to resign or he had enough intregrity to know he wasn’t getting the job done.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:3, topic:670"]I'll tell you why not. It wouldn't be very Penn State. Who do you think we are, Penn?[/quote] Maybe not the "old" PSU way but PSU did release PSU grad All American Troy Sunderland as wrestling coach and brought in a very big name (maybe the biggest.)

Troy Sunderland “resigned”. Either he was asked to resign or he had enough intregrity to know he wasn’t getting the job done.

Good point. I love “the Penn State way” and would never consider doing it any differently–but must it be a one-way street? Continued mediocrity, or worse, in men’s BB at a university with the resources of PSU takes a heavy toll on the college’s pride, national recognition, and finances, among other things.

At what point does a “Penn State type” of coach have the responsibility to spare PSU the options of continued poor performance vs. a forced exit, and just honorably step aside and let someone else take a shot?

It was definitely the first one but not the second.

I don’t get why its so bad to Fire someone, yes this university has asked coaches to resign but why do we always take this route. Its like the university is trying to save face and say oh they resigned and it wasn’t our fault that they didn’t get the job done. These sports are a business and if the boss isn’t getting the job done you get fired.

Troy was forced OUT. If fact, Troy was quite bitter.

Troy was forced OUT. If fact, Troy was quite bitter.

Tundra hit it right, the “resigned” was all PR.

How about a 3-5 year deal for Bobby Knight?

I will take it. He would come in and recruit basketball players and not just athletes.

Bingo! If Knight could win at Texas Tech, he can do it at PSU. Plus the BJC would be full, and actually give us a home court advantage. Knight never had the best players. Only one good NBA player, Isiah, but molded them into a good, smart basketball team.

That would make me smile so much.

Bobby was great but he is not the answer. I don’t want a blip but a years of NCAA tournaments and and a few Big Ten titles.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:13, topic:670"]How about a 3-5 year deal for Bobby Knight?[/quote]

Bobby was great but he is not the answer. I don’t want a blip but a years of NCAA tournaments and and a few Big Ten titles.

Agree. Bobby was great but is not the answer for PSU’s probs now(he prob wouldn’t take the job anyways if offered )

Three things make me think that after this year would be the best year for a chance.

1. Next years team will have some talent that the new coach could work with. This is both good for recruiting players(because they see us win) and good for recruiting a coach(who thinks he could win right away.)

2. As mentioned earlier, the new coach has five recruits to work with in his first class.

3. At some point joe paterno will retire. PSU does not pay their football coach very much and that is for a legend. When Bradley takes over, they will pay him even less(500k per year?). There is no way they could justify paying our basketball coach more than our football coach. 500k per year will not bring in any big or even medium sized names.

I say make the change now, invest in a coach for 2 Mil/ a year and take a chance that we can really generate some revenue with mens hoops.

I agree. The worst thing that would happen with a new coach is that Battle turns pro and PSU lets Buie out of his committment. That is 2 players the new coach must scramble for in the spring. Even if the 2 junior commits change their mind, the new coach would have plenty of time to recruit his own guys for the following year. The best thing that happens is everybody stays and plays better hearing a different message.

If Ed is retained, the reason must be that the admistration feels that this year is a blip on the radar and that Ed is an excellent coach and will succeed in the long run. If Ed is retained and they are right, great. If he is retained and they are wrong, the new coach in 2, 3 or 4 years will have to start over. Although the two junior committments look promising, there is no guarantee they will stick with it after a disasterous year or two. A big recruiting year is a must in two years. If things continue to get away from Ed this year and it spills into next year, what are the chances that big time recruits flock to replace the 5 departing seniors?

What is the criteria for Ed to stay? I’m not sure, but there better be serious progress in terms of wins the rest of the year. Anything short of that and the players will loose faith in Ed and the staff which in itself could provide to be a disaster going into next year.