PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Why do some challenge the loyalty of PSU BB fans on this board?

Seems to me that you must be a pretty loyal fan if you post here regularly.

Being dissatisfied with the product doesn’t make someone a bad fan IMO. Quite the opposite. If you continue to follow the team when its down you must be a pretty loyal fan.

My concern about this team has little to do with this season’s W-L record. I knew that it was going to be a rebuilding year. PSU needs perimeter shooting and a strong PF. It would be easy to remain upbeat if we had some developing underclassmen who could fill those spots in the next two years. Unfortunately I don’t think we have those players and we are out of scholarships for next year. Its been a long time since PSU has been to the NCAA tournament and it doesn’t look like that is going to change soon. That’s my objective opinion. I don’t think that makes me a bad fan.

Great point bdroc. People should realize the history of PSU hoops. Over the last 55 years PSU has possibly the worst basketball program of any large school in a large conference in the nation. PSU hoop fans deserve a “special place” in the everlasting. Here’s hoping, anyway!
I think the “bad fan” part would come if you came onto the board and “named names” and insulted players individually. That “has” happened in the past.

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:713”]Seems to me that you must be a pretty loyal fan if you post here regularly.

Being dissatisfied with the product doesn’t make someone a bad fan IMO. Quite the opposite. If you continue to follow the team when its down you must be a pretty loyal fan.

My concern about this team has little to do with this season’s W-L record. I knew that it was going to be a rebuilding year. PSU needs perimeter shooting and a strong PF. It would be easy to remain upbeat if we had some developing underclassmen who could fill those spots in the next two years. Unfortunately I don’t think we have those players and we are out of scholarships for next year. Its been a long time since PSU has been to the NCAA tournament and it doesn’t look like that is going to change soon. That’s my objective opinion. I don’t think that makes me a bad fan.[/quote]

I agree 100%. The mere fact we are following PSU hoops should speak volumes. I graduated from PSU with sports-crazy guys who couldn’t name 3 PSU hoops players. We are not bad fans if we are dissatisfied with product on the floor. We merely want the best for our school.

Unfortunately, last year was an anamoly. We are who we thought we were.

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:713”]Great point bdroc. People should realize the history of PSU hoops. Over the last 55 years PSU has possibly the worst basketball program of any large school in a large conference in the nation. PSU hoop fans deserve a “special place” in the everlasting. Here’s hoping, anyway!
I think the “bad fan” part would come if you came onto the board and “named names” and insulted players individually. That “has” happened in the past. [/quote]

People want that 55 year histroy to change! That is way people are upset. Should people be happy we stink because we have always stunk? 8 BT road wins in 7 years!

People want to see change. seven years should beb enoguh for some change. Example=TN look how bad that program was and look at it now. They had as bad of a history as PSU

Great point bdroc. People should realize the history of PSU hoops. Over the last 55 years PSU has possibly the worst basketball program of any large school in a large conference in the nation. PSU hoop fans deserve a "special place" in the everlasting. Here's hoping, anyway! I think the "bad fan" part would come if you came onto the board and "named names" and insulted players individually. That "has" happened in the past.

People want that 55 year histroy to change! That is way people are upset. Should people be happy we stink because we have always stunk? 8 BT road wins in 7 years!

People want to see change. seven years should beb enoguh for some change. Example=TN look how bad that program was and look at it now. They had as bad of a history as PSU

I don’t even need us to be TN. The reason I’m so upset with this team is that (a) it gives terrible effort, (b) it has very terrible coaching, and © there is no hope for improvement on the roster. We have the same team next season, and even if we make some marginal improvement, we still have holes. Its going to uglier and uglier this year yet. Wait till OSU/MSU/and Purdue take us to the woodshed. Ugh.

I’ll admit to being guilty of it at certain points the last few years - some of it’s my own frustration, but it generally comes when I hear somebody say things that just don’t seem to come from the viewpoint of a person that’s watched PSU hoops for years now. It baffles me sometimes the things I hear said.

But mostly it’s just frustration…

This is a good thread. Kudos. I suspect that all of us on this board have the same feeling regarding the program. We have been here for years posting and talking amongst each other all the while driving to the Jordan Center and paying our $$$ to watch the team that we are all pasionate about. I have a routine of going to Champs for wings, doing a good luck shot of Goldschlager, and hitting the road. We all, regardless of how we feel about the current team and staff are loyal fans. I’d even go so far as to say that this board represents the MOST LOYAL PSU hoops fans of all!
I get to every game possible and when I cant I watch every one on tv. I suspect that WE all do. So, the point of this thread is well conceived and a great point. I can tell you with perfect honesty that I have soured on the current coaching staff. Im ready for change…but I still love this team!

[quote=“mhenry41, post:7, topic:713”] This is a good thread. Kudos. I suspect that all of us on this board have the same feeling regarding the program. We have been here for years posting and talking amongst each other all the while driving to the Jordan Center and paying our $$$ to watch the team that we are all pasionate about. I have a routine of going to Champs for wings, doing a good luck shot of Goldschlager, and hitting the road. We all, regardless of how we feel about the current team and staff are loyal fans. I’d even go so far as to say that this board represents the MOST LOYAL PSU hoops fans of all!
I get to every game possible and when I cant I watch every one on tv. I suspect that WE all do. So, the point of this thread is well conceived and a great point. I can tell you with perfect honesty that I have soured on the current coaching staff. Im ready for change…but I still love this team![/quote]

Good point. And you have to respect the heck out of Battle on this team. The guy is still playing hard and competing. Great to see.

[quote=“mhenry41, post:7, topic:713”] This is a good thread. Kudos. I suspect that all of us on this board have the same feeling regarding the program. We have been here for years posting and talking amongst each other all the while driving to the Jordan Center and paying our $$$ to watch the team that we are all pasionate about. I have a routine of going to Champs for wings, doing a good luck shot of Goldschlager, and hitting the road. We all, regardless of how we feel about the current team and staff are loyal fans. I’d even go so far as to say that this board represents the MOST LOYAL PSU hoops fans of all!
I get to every game possible and when I cant I watch every one on tv. I suspect that WE all do. So, the point of this thread is well conceived and a great point. I can tell you with perfect honesty that I have soured on the current coaching staff. Im ready for change…but I still love this team![/quote]

Hey Henry, maybe we figured out the PSU hoop problem…You need to change your good luck shot!! :slight_smile:

This is a good thread. Kudos. I suspect that all of us on this board have the same feeling regarding the program. We have been here for years posting and talking amongst each other all the while driving to the Jordan Center and paying our $$$ to watch the team that we are all pasionate about. I have a routine of going to Champs for wings, doing a good luck shot of Goldschlager, and hitting the road. We all, regardless of how we feel about the current team and staff are loyal fans. I'd even go so far as to say that this board represents the MOST LOYAL PSU hoops fans of all! I get to every game possible and when I cant I watch every one on tv. I suspect that WE all do. So, the point of this thread is well conceived and a great point. I can tell you with perfect honesty that I have soured on the current coaching staff. Im ready for change...but I still love this team!

Hey Henry, maybe we figured out the PSU hoop problem…You need to change your good luck shot!! :slight_smile:

Ha! I can’t understand why it was so effective last year and burned us this year? Perhaps next season I’ll switch back to tequila!

For this season, you might be better off with a Mind Eraser.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:6, topic:713”]I’ll admit to being guilty of it at certain points the last few years - some of it’s my own frustration, but it generally comes when I hear somebody say things that just don’t seem to come from the viewpoint of a person that’s watched PSU hoops for years now. It baffles me sometimes the things I hear said.

But mostly it’s just frustration…[/quote]
Why should the frustration of you, or anyone else, result in people taking shots at the head coach, the players, and now the recruits? It’s disgusting!

For the record…has anybody on this board taken a “shot” at Ed or any players? ::slight_smile:

[quote="Craftsy21, post:6, topic:713"]I'll admit to being guilty of it at certain points the last few years - some of it's my own frustration, but it generally comes when I hear somebody say things that just don't seem to come from the viewpoint of a person that's watched PSU hoops for years now. It baffles me sometimes the things I hear said.

But mostly it’s just frustration…[/quote]
Why should the frustration of you, or anyone else, result in people taking shots at the head coach, the players, and now the recruits? It’s disgusting!

Crank, I think you’re being a bit too sensitive, or idealistic. Look what Notre Dame did with Charlie Weis. I have a client, an ND alum, who lives in RI, and still gets to a game every year. You know what he said when asked about the firing? “You can’t lose to Navy.” And that’s about it. Cost ND a fortune, but it was time to move on. I realize PSU doesn’t have the rep ND football does, but it is in the Big 10, and should be a big time program. Yes, academics are tough, but so are NW’s, and if that’s not a good example, so are Purdue’s, both schools are harder to get into. I don’t want to hear about legacy. Good coaches make their own legacy, e.g., Rick Pitino at Providence and Billy Donovan at Florida. Jay Wright was recruited from Hofstra by Nova, Bo Ryan from a DII school, two more guys who created their own legacy.

Calling for a coach to be fired with the venom that is spewed by some here is taking “shots”. Calling out individual players on their work ethic, or their effort is taking “shots”.

So you think major college basketball should be like Little League where everyone plays & gets an ice cream cone after the game win or lose?