Who will win first (Five forlorn sports organizations)

I am just curious how PSU hoops stack up for those of us who still stick around cheering for the kids in hope.

I am fan of three teams here. Don’t feel too bad though, my others are the Celtics, Steelers and Pens.

Don’t follow hockey too closely, but I’d go with the Clippers here. They have a decent core of Baron Davis, Gordon, and Kaman, to which Blake Griffin will be added to next season. If they can compete for a big free agent with the upcoming FA class, they have a shot at getting into the playoffs…if they were in the East, they might be a shoe-in for a playoff spot.

Being a Nets fan (yeah…PSU and Nets fan, yet I somehow still love basketball), I’m hoping for a big splash this off-season.

I would go with the Clippers too. Least likely has to be Pirate baseball.

My response would be “who was there most recently”?

Have any of the others been there since 2001?

*** edit ***

The CLippers made it to the conference semis in 2005-2006

PSU Hoops - Sweet 16 Syracuse Football - BCS invite (keep in mind SU might leave the Big East for another certain conference) Pirate Baseball - Postseason first round victory (= to old school pennant IMHO) LA Clippers - Postseason first round victory Boston Bruins - Stanley Cup (An 'original six' can have no other standard)

PSU Hoops - Not any time soon.
Syracuse - They have been very bad recently. I can’t see them winning the BE, or any other conference, any time soon.
Pirates - Baseball only takes 4 teams. They would have to win the first series too? Not happening.
LA Clippers - Don’t follow the NBA much, but this seems the most realistic.
Bruins - Probably the most realistic after the Clippers. Stanley Cup victory is a lot to accomplish compared to the other teams, I’d say winning the Eastern Conference is a better goal. That being said, they have a very good shot at beating the Flyers in their next series. Then they would face the Penguins or Montreal… not a huge task.

So out of these options, Clippers. But I think the Bruins’ task is not the same as the others. If it were to make the Finals, I’d pick them. Especially since they have a shot at it this year.

[quote=“noobd, post:5, topic:1136”][quote] PSU Hoops - Sweet 16
Syracuse Football - BCS invite (keep in mind SU might leave the Big East for another certain conference)
Pirate Baseball - Postseason first round victory (= to old school pennant IMHO)
LA Clippers - Postseason first round victory
Boston Bruins - Stanley Cup (An ‘original six’ can have no other standard)[/quote]

PSU Hoops - Not any time soon.
Syracuse - They have been very bad recently. I can’t see them winning the BE, or any other conference, any time soon.
Pirates - Baseball only takes 4 teams. They would have to win the first series too? Not happening.
LA Clippers - Don’t follow the NBA much, but this seems the most realistic.
Bruins - Probably the most realistic after the Clippers. Stanley Cup victory is a lot to accomplish compared to the other teams, I’d say winning the Eastern Conference is a better goal. That being said, they have a very good shot at beating the Flyers in their next series. Then they would face the Penguins or Montreal… not a huge task.

So out of these options, Clippers. But I think the Bruins’ task is not the same as the others. If it were to make the Finals, I’d pick them. Especially since they have a shot at it this year.[/quote]

Since the Bruins are the only team currently with a shot at accomplishing your assigned task, then I vote for them. However, they also have some nice draft picks coming up (thanks to the Maple Leafs trading for Phil Kessel). So I’m still going with the Bruins. Plus, the Red Sox won in '04, so the B’s can do it too.

We’ll all be dead.

No Orioles?

[quote=“djones, post:7, topic:1136”]We’ll all be dead.

No Orioles?[/quote]
I was just talking about this with my buddies today. I’m 40 and a Yankees fan and remember when the O’s were the main team I hated to play. Angelos was supposed to be the deep pocket Baltimore Steinbrenner and all he has done is ruin the O’s system and turn them into the AL version of the Pirates.

[quote=“djones, post:7, topic:1136”]We’ll all be dead.

No Orioles?[/quote]

I wanted 1 team for each major TV sport. The only exception was NFL which would have been the Raiders but, let’s be honest, the NFL is going to retain allot of revenue sharing so it really only takes Al Davis dieing before new ownership comes in to get the franchise going. If you notice many NFL stadiums go half empty as soon as a team is well outside the playoff race several years in a row. The the blackout rule causes a revenue feedback loop (owners keep luxury box revenue- no chance to be all about exclusivity when no one in town sees you there). Its the only sport where losing is punished harshly in an owners pocketbook.

I completely forgot about the Clippers going all the way to the conference semis(thought it was show and out first round). However they have the worst owner in all of sports and will permanently be in the Lakers shadow. Just seems like too much of a cash cow which is what unites all the teams in this poll. All their owners/ADs are making too much money to change their structure too much to get the results their fans are hoping for.

One more thing for those who are wondering why the Bruins standard is so much higher than everyone else. Imagine the Dallas Cowboys only winning one Superbowl in 1970 and only token playoff appearances since. Imagine Houston never getting a replacement for the Oilers leaving the entire state of Texas with only the Cowboys representing in the regions favorite sport during the zenith of said sport. Imagine that their best most beloved player in the last 20 years begging to be traded to the Pats to play a minor role for a solitary title in virtual retirement. Imagine said Superbowl trophy being paraded through Texas as the only trophy the state had seen in any sport in 14 years.

That is your Boston Bruins.

[quote="djones, post:7, topic:1136"]We'll all be dead.

No Orioles?[/quote]

I wanted 1 team for each major TV sport. The only exception was NFL which would have been the Raiders but, let’s be honest, the NFL is going to retain allot of revenue sharing so it really only takes Al Davis dieing before new ownership comes in to get the franchise going. If you notice many NFL stadiums go half empty as soon as a team is well outside the playoff race several years in a row. The the blackout rule causes a revenue feedback loop (owners keep luxury box revenue- no chance to be all about exclusivity when no one in town sees you there). Its the only sport where losing is punished harshly in an owners pocketbook.

I completely forgot about the Clippers going all the way to the conference semis(thought it was show and out first round). However they have the worst owner in all of sports and will permanently be in the Lakers shadow. Just seems like too much of a cash cow which is what unites all the teams in this poll. All their owners/ADs are making too much money to change their structure too much to get the results their fans are hoping for.

One more thing for those who are wondering why the Bruins standard is so much higher than everyone else. Imagine the Dallas Cowboys only winning one Superbowl in 1970 and only token playoff appearances since. Imagine Houston never getting a replacement for the Oilers leaving the entire state of Texas with only the Cowboys representing in the regions favorite sport during the zenith of said sport. Imagine that their best most beloved player in the last 20 years begging to be traded to the Pats to play a minor role for a solitary title in virtual retirement. Imagine said Superbowl trophy being paraded through Texas as the only trophy the state had seen in any sport in 14 years.

That is your Boston Bruins.

The Bruins were pretty close in 1979 also (I know, that’s still 31 years ago). But it was a classic gaffe by a seemingly cursed team that cost them the Cup. They led game 7 with just a couple minutes to play only to get caught with too many men on the ice. The ensuing power play led to the tying goal. And, of course Montreal won in OT to take the Cup back north of the border.