PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Who has potential on this team down the road

We all know that PSU will have a big challenge in the Big Ten this year, but the important thing is to get better. I wonder who will be part of our teams going forward. Chambers is already getting better players. How many of the six players that Ed brought in last year will contribute in our future(After this year)?

My guess is that quickly the new recruits(and transfer) will steal playing time next year. Who do you all see being big players next year and beyond as the new players come in?

I think Travis and Lewis are going to be legit stars down the line. Marshall is going to be good. Think Newbill has bigtime talents that can be harnessed.

Everything else is still kind of up in the air for me.

Tim Frazier was a solid player, he has turned into a complete beast and a possible first team Big Ten threat. Heading into next year he might be preseason All American at this rate.

I am getting VERY excited for the future. Think this season is still going to be very rocky, but not nearly as rocky as I was expecting. Expect to see a few very pleasant surprises on the upset front. This could turn into a very young/dangerous team.

I think the assbeating from Kentucky will ultimately prove to be a positive.

A little early for this, don’t you think?

Ross Travis to me has the highest ceiling. Trey has shown spurts but he really has to grow. Jermaine has a knack for getting places he wants, which can’t be underestimated. The interesting one is Jon Graham. I wasn’t as high on him before today as some on the board, but certain plays impressed me today. He’s not the big man that would typically be used in Pat Chambers system, but he could turn into a pretty good banger. On a similar note, I think Pat Ackerman might be pretty solid. Just from watching him in warmups he has a much better feel than any of our other big men. If he gets in the weight room he could contribute.

[quote=“GoSpikes, post:3, topic:2855”]A little early for this, don’t you think?[/quote]I was thinking the same thing, but then realized that I would rather have fans be excited for a potentially good future than a potentially bad one.

Slowly, Chambers’ coaching, leadership and his style of play have been getting people excited about the prospects of PSU basketball. That is a great thing, regardless of how early the excitement comes. :slight_smile:

Chambers said something interesting during his presser last week, regarding five games in eight days. He said the players love the games, but the coaches hate it because there’s so little practice time.

And with that, he said players were nailing stuff in practice, but it would take time for it all to stick during games.

This team will benefit greatly in getting back to a regular practice schedule.

I guess that knowing some of the players I am watching now will be contributing down the road makes it easier to take some of the beatings we may take this year.

I think it’s interesting to speculate so long as we only speculate the positive when it comes to something like this. And when is the right talk about potential, when the player has already started reaching it? I think now is as good a time as any. It’s not like we are basing things off of practice anymore. Some of these guys are showing glimpses that they might be special down the road, and it is exciting to talk about.

I think Jon Graham will be a very good player. Big Ten body and some good moves, good boards and a hoop sense.

[quote=“chicago lion, post:1, topic:2855”]We all know that PSU will have a big challenge in the Big Ten this year, but the important thing is to get better. I wonder who will be part of our teams going forward. Chambers is already getting better players. How many of the six players that Ed brought in last year will contribute in our future(After this year)?

My guess is that quickly the new recruits(and transfer) will steal playing time next year. Who do you all see being big players next year and beyond as the new players come in?[/quote]

Before I answer, which 6 are you talking about?

Trey Lewis
Ross Travis
Pete Alexis
Pat Ackerman
Matt Glover
?sixth?

And please define “contribute” a little better. Everyone on the team contributes something. So I need to know what you mean first.

[quote="GoSpikes, post:3, topic:2855"]A little early for this, don't you think?[/quote]

Slowly, Chambers’ coaching, leadership and his style of play have been getting people excited about the prospects of PSU basketball. That is a great thing, regardless of how early the excitement comes. :slight_smile:

I just don’t think this is true. I hope that at some point in time it becomes true, but there’s nothing I’ve seen so far this year that makes me think there’s much additional excitement for PSU basketball than in previous years.

[quote="GoSpikes, post:3, topic:2855"]A little early for this, don't you think?[/quote]

I just don’t think this is true. I hope that at some point in time it becomes true, but there’s nothing I’ve seen so far this year that makes me think there’s much additional excitement for PSU basketball than in previous years.

I’m more excited. Does that count?

Sorry you don’t see the start of this season (and the start of Chambers’ tenure here) the same way I do.

Guess that makes me a glass-half-full kind of guy and you a glass-half-empty kind of guy.

I think he’s just asking who’ll make a “significant” impact down the road.

I like to think of myself as a realist. :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m just measuring this differently, but I don’t think that people that post on this board as needing to be convinced that there’s excitement and energy around the program. Everyone here is always excited and hopeful at the beginning of a new season.

To me, excitement about PSU basketball means fans coming to games, especially a vibrant Nittany Nation. I’m not sure how else to measure excitement, really. So far the crowds look like the same old PSU basketball crowds, maybe even a little smaller. Not even a free game with 200,000 extra people in town got the BJC more than 1/4 full.

I’m as hopeful as anyone that’s gonna’ change, but I think it’s way too early to claim the excitement is there now.

And please define "contribute" a little better. Everyone on the team contributes something. So I need to know what you mean first.

Lewis, Travis and Glover are all contributing already. I don’t see why that would change, except for the better, in the next 2-3 years. Pat and Pete could both contribute. But big men tend to take longer to develop. It’s hard to say with them at this stage. Why hasn’t Pete played yet? Is he not good enough to see the floor? Or does PC have high hopes for him and wants him to redshirt, bulk up and still have 4 more years? I don’t know.

Who is the sixth guy the OP is talking about? Graham? Newbill? Or a walk-on? I think Graham and Newbill definitely contribute significantly down the road.

I really like Ross Travis, and think he’ll be a big player for us in the future. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Brooks, but he is better now than Brooks was his freshman year.

Travis reminds me much more of a Claxton than an Brooks.

I think all the guys that have played are going to contribute (not commenting on Alexis or Ackerman, havent really seen anything yet). I think Lewis has star potential.

Trey Lewis is going through one of Talor Battle’s lul from early in his freshman year.

After having a great initial game against Hartford, (17 pts, 4 assts, 2 rbs, 2 stls), he has been absent in his past 3 games. In his last 3 games, he has had a TOTAL of 2 rbs, 1 assts, o steals, and has averaged less than 4 ppg.

It may have something to do with what Tom posted earlier, that with 5 games in 8 days, they have no practice time. For a true freshman, we can see what that does to a bunch of kids who have little experience playing with each other to begin with.

[quote="mjg, post:10, topic:2855"]And please define "contribute" a little better. Everyone on the team contributes something. So I need to know what you mean first.[/quote]

Lewis, Travis and Glover are all contributing already. I don’t see why that would change, except for the better, in the next 2-3 years. Pat and Pete could both contribute. But big men tend to take longer to develop. It’s hard to say with them at this stage. Why hasn’t Pete played yet? Is he not good enough to see the floor? Or does PC have high hopes for him and wants him to redshirt, bulk up and still have 4 more years? I don’t know.

Who is the sixth guy the OP is talking about? Graham? Newbill? Or a walk-on? I think Graham and Newbill definitely contribute significantly down the road.

If you take him literally at his word, the sixth guy would have to be Kevin Montminy. Graham was already here and Newbill made his decision well after DeChellis left. Montminy verballed while ED was still here.