PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Who else you got in your corner?

So, obviously we’re all PSU basketball fans, but I assume most of us enjoy college basketball even if it’s not PSU playing. So, who else do you root for/follow/pay attention to and why? Just curious to see who else is on our radar.

Wright State - Graduate school
Dayton - the “other” local school
Marshall - local team where the family lives

I spent some time at Ft. Sill, OK. Went to Eskimo Joe’s in Stillwater. Had a blast. Follow the Cowboys some based on that experience.

My brother was at Ft. Riley, KS. Went to Manhattan to visit and hung out at Auntie Mae’s. Great place. Have a soft spot for KState from that experience.

Hung out a lot in Broad Ripple, in Indy, near Butler. So I pull for them.

some root with their heart, some root with their liver.

grew up down the river from Bucknell, so I still follow them

[quote=“manatree, post:3, topic:1438”]some root with their heart, some root with their liver.

grew up down the river from Bucknell, so I still follow them[/quote]

Ha, I guess there is a common theme in my post. :smiley:

My best friend is a Nebraska grad, and their team is as bad as ours. No worries about band wagons.

I lived in N Car for a few years while in the Marines, so I have a soft spot in my heart for UNC and Duke (2001 was still a FANTASTIC game).

Grew up in Olean NY. Follow St Bonaventure every year.

I also rotate teams according to What players I like.
BYU - Love fredette.

Wright State is a cool choice. They have a very nice forum on the internet as well, makes them a lot easier to follow.

Well everyone knows I follow Seton Hall by now ::slight_smile: but I also follow Stony Brook since a kid from my town that I know plays there. My signature has more details. ;D

Born and raised in Altoona. Used to go to the Jaffa Mosque in Altoona quite often to watch St. Francis play while growing up. Got to see the great Norm Van Leir and Kevin Porter play for the Flash. I still try to follow the Flash every year to see how they are doing in the Northeast Conference.

[quote="manatree, post:3, topic:1438"]some root with their heart, some root with their liver.

grew up down the river from Bucknell, so I still follow them[/quote]

Ha, I guess there is a common theme in my post. :smiley:

Did my grad work at BU, so count me in the Oragne column too.
Also have a soft spot for the Illini. My brother went there so I was a “fan” before we even joined the B-10.

Pittsburgh city Kid. Grew up listening to Duquesne games on a transistor radio. Attended games at the Civic Arena. Late HS and college years I had a couple of friends who played on the team so I got to play against some of the team in the off season a good number of times. Dukes were a powerhouse in the 60s and early 70s. Program fell off the charts after that. PSU-Duquesne should be interesting this season.
Never was a ~itt fan.
I like following the local HS and college summer league scene.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:1, topic:1438”]So, obviously we’re all PSU basketball fans, but I assume most of us enjoy college basketball even if it’s not PSU playing. So, who else do you root for/follow/pay attention to and why? Just curious to see who else is on our radar.

Dayton - the “other” local school[/quote]

Born in Dayton and most of my extended family still lives there, so I always like to see the Flyers doing well. And my parents met when they were both students at Wright State, so I’m fond of them as well, since I wouldn’t really be around if it wasn’t for Wright State. :slight_smile:

LaSalle. I used to watch Big 5 games on tv as a kid. I liked the Explorer mascot. We could just barely pick up the Philly channel on our rabbit ears antenna in the Harrisburg area. Channel #29 i think. Or maybe it was in the #70’s. I don’t remember.

The Philly channels also carried Ultra Man! I bought the entire Ultra Man series and Johnny Socko & His Flying Robot series on DVD 2 years ago. It was fun watching them. My son (11 at the time)wasn’t impressed. :frowning:

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:1, topic:1438"]So, obviously we're all PSU basketball fans, but I assume most of us enjoy college basketball even if it's not PSU playing. So, who else do you root for/follow/pay attention to and why? Just curious to see who else is on our radar.

Dayton - the “other” local school[/quote]

Born in Dayton and most of my extended family still lives there, so I always like to see the Flyers doing well. And my parents met when they were both students at Wright State, so I’m fond of them as well, since I wouldn’t really be around if it wasn’t for Wright State. :slight_smile:

Bstanf, I imagine you can appreciate the dynamic in Dayton b/t UD and WSU (and maybe no one else will care but I find it mildly amsuing). UD definitely looks down their nose at WSU and WSU has the ultimate inferiority complex. Every offseason the WSU fans plead for UD to play them but UD continues to refuse and claims they have nothing to gain by playing WSU (whose RPI the last 4 or 5 years has been in the low 100s…as UD continues to stuff it’s schedule w/ creampuffs, but I digress). I’ve heard rumors that UD would consider playing a series w/ WSU but will only play the games at UD arena and not travel the 9 miles across the metropolis of Dayton to play the little sister. Most years I think UD would handle WSU but there are some seasons when the games would be competitive. I wish they’d play but I don’t think UD will ever give in.

I have no real connection for liking these teams, but I grew up needing somebody else to root for and I attached myself to Oklahoma State, Gonzaga, and Butler - all to varying degrees.

Mostly I loved OkSt’s man to man defense back in the 90’s under Sutton, I was just really getting into college hoops (making it my number 1 sport when i was about 12) when Dan Monson made Gonzaga into the cinderella everybody loved (or hated), and in high school Thad Matta’s squad at Butler kind of won my heart also - and I’ve just stuck with all these teams as a fringe fan ever since.

I still enjoy the way most of the programs play the game, albeit varied from program to program… and it’s just nice to have a good excuse to watch and root for teams in games all over the country - I have a squad in every region, I’ve just realized in naming these three besides PSU.

I root for all the SF Bay area schools – Cal, Stanford, St. Mary’s, Santa Clara, USF, San Jose St. Also root for Colorado and Colorado St., since I used to live in Denver.

Can’t root for Duke or NC. They cheat way too much.

Does anyone pull for TCU and Boise State in football? Pulling for the litle guys, the non-BCS schools? I find myself doing that quite a bit.

TCU yes, BSU NO! Can’t root for any team that plays on that stupid blue smurf turf! ;D

Altoonan here too.

St Francis. PA “Red Flash” - since I was a kid, only 20 min drive “up the hill” to Stokes arena.

Temple - liked their blue collar playing style and under Cheney, I admired their willingness to play anybody anywhere.

I always root for the Big 5 teams. Particularly Penn and Temple. I used to hate Villanova but Jay Wright and his squads have won me over.