Which would you prefer?

Just curious about the mindset of this board… would we rather have up and down years or consistent middle of the pack years? ???

by the way - you can spell it disbursed if you’d rather, damn spell check missed my stupidity.

I would think the more good years we have the fewer lean years we would have. Like we have been saying, winning will yield better recruits. Just have to start having more good years. But I would say I would rather be cyclical than middle of the road.

This is one tough question to answer, one hand you have 5 NCAA appearances in 10 with the (3 and 9), but with the 10 consectative 6th place finishes you would think there would be some NCAA appearances there as well which could be as many as 10.

How many 6th place Big 10 teams make any noise in the NCAAs? This year the 6th place team barely made the tournament and is an 11 seed. The 3rd place team (which I think is MSU) is the #12 team in the country and a 5 seed. I’ll take being one of the top 15 ranked teams in the country every other year over being a bubble team every year.

I figure you probably have around the same amount of chances to make the tournament, and potentially even more with the consistent 6th place finishes if the league is pretty strong… but would 6th place start getting old after 10 straight years?

I think I’d rather taste good seasons occasionally even if it meant having to taste the bad ones just as often, rather than just always be middle of the road.

I went with the 5 good seasons, 5 bad seasons scenario, because I think we would make some noise in the tourney then, vs. an occasional sweet 16. Either scenario would be light years from where we are now, which is why it was tough to pick.

After the Big ten expands to 14 teams 6th place won’t be so bad. :slight_smile:

Neither.

I want us over .500 every year.

Well in 7 years Ed has finished higher than 7th 1 time. So I would say we are neither middle of the pack or up and down. :-\

??? This is a hypothetical question…

[quote="battlesway2, post:10, topic:985"]Well in 7 years Ed has finished higher than 7th 1 time. So I would say we are neither middle of the pack or up and down. :-\[/quote]

I figured you were talking PSU. I would pick either over the choice we are currently stuck with.

[quote="battlesway2, post:10, topic:985"]Well in 7 years Ed has finished higher than 7th 1 time. So I would say we are neither middle of the pack or up and down. :-\[/quote]

I figured you were talking PSU. I would pick either over the choice we are currently stuck with.

Still haven’t answered the question… this isn’t that difficult.

Still haven’t answered the question… this isn’t that difficult.

Hmmm . Well I can’t really give you an answer at this time. Being a PSU fan I have not had the chance to experience being an UP and Down team or a Middle of the Pack team so I’m not sure which one I want ;D

[quote=“TomF, post:9, topic:985”]Neither.

I want us over .500 every year.[/quote]
So that means your preference would be the 6th seed every time?
Obviously both scenerios are far better than what we have now. 3 seeds are often topping or tied for the top of the league with just a couple or less games left in the regular conference season. Wow, that would be exciting to be fighting for the league regular season championship after the 15-16 game mark. Plus, a Big Ten 3 seed probably means a 5 or 6 seed in the dance 50% (5 out of 10) of the time. I would take that in heartbeat! Much better than bubble watch and 10th or 11th seed prbably 7 or 8 times in the same 10 year period.

Bottom dweller is fine. We avoid all the apprehension about the bubble, don’t have to have people at the BJC on selection Sunday, don’t have to be a part of March Madness and can look forward to baseball and next football season.