PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Where's the OOC(OUT OF CONFERENCE SCHEDULE)?

Over the past few years Penn State has been convinced that releasing the OOC long before the Big 10 schedule is released has benefits. This fan appreciates it because it helps my wife decide which theater tickets to pursue without having a discussion on whether we will go to Penn State for the basketball game. Now I understand that we have had a change in leadership, but most if not all of this year’s work should have been done before Ed left.

I have e-mailed the AD at his new address, but who knows which person reads the mail. At this address, no one responds, and that is not like the AD.

What is the problem, please release the schedule?

RELAX…The basketball staff makes the schedule. I think Ed had part of the schedule complete…BUT, the new coach has not been on the job very long. Give him a break!!!

[quote=“pap17754, post:1, topic:2536”]Over the past few years Penn State has been convinced that releasing the OOC long before the Big 10 schedule is released has benefits. This fan appreciates it because it helps my wife decide which theater tickets to pursue without having a discussion on whether we will go to Penn State for the basketball game. Now I understand that we have had a change in leadership, but most if not all of this year’s work should have been done before Ed left.

I have e-mailed the AD at his new address, but who knows which person reads the mail. At this address, no one responds, and that is not like the AD.

What is the problem, please release the schedule?[/quote]

What’s your problem?

The earliest the OOC schedule has EVER been released is July 6th (in 2009, last year was July 14th). You’re acting like it’s a month overdue or something.

[quote="pap17754, post:1, topic:2536"]... I have e-mailed the AD at his new address, but who knows which person reads the mail. At this address, no one responds, and that is not like the AD. What is the problem, please release the schedule?[/quote]

What’s your problem?
The earliest the OOC schedule has EVER been released is July 6th (in 2009, last year was July 14th). Your acting like it’s a month overdue or something.

Give him a break, Lar, he’s just dying for a hoops news fix during a dead off-season period. We’re all ready for the season to start, aren’t we ;D

What does our attitude say about no schedule being released yet? :smiley:

We sure could use something to get us to stop snipping at each other. Given that getting a commitment only diverted us for a few hours, I don’t hold out much hope for the OOC. I heard before ED resigned that we had signed commitments for all but one game, but as we all should know, everything is negotiable and maybe PC wants to switch things up.

On a side note, my father met someone from Bradford at the Wiscasset July 4th parade who approves of fracking, likes the roads that have been improved to support it, and said that the one little chemical dump into a nearby waterway was cleaned up right away, so he’s not worried.

:slight_smile:

BOC will be in my hometown of Sunbury with Foghat on Saturday.

Consider yourself assuaged.

[quote=“tjb, post:6, topic:2536”]We sure could use something to get us to stop snipping at each other. Given that getting a commitment only diverted us for a few hours, I don’t hold out much hope for the OOC. I heard before ED resigned that we had signed commitments for all but one game, but as we all should know, everything is negotiable and maybe PC wants to switch things up.

On a side note, my father met someone from Bradford at the Wiscasset July 4th parade who approves of fracking, likes the roads that have been improved to support it, and said that the one little chemical dump into a nearby waterway was cleaned up right away, so he’s not worried.

:)[/quote]

No matter what the end resulting opinion or prognosis on fracking…that word will always sound like it’s something dirty one does in one of those online role playing games.

Lar:

For the record, Brian was given the OK by the AD to release the schedule in Mid-June, it took until the early July date to get it done. IT has taken some prodding every year since to get it released

The request, as detailed above. there is a life outside basketball. My wife desires to see a couple of the shows coming to IPT. The basketball dates are important, for those of us who like to do both. That is the challenge… a happy home…get it?

[quote=“pap17754, post:9, topic:2536”]Lar:

For the record, Brian was given the OK by the AD to release the schedule in Mid-June, it took until the early July date to get it done. IT has taken some prodding every year since to get it released

The request, as detailed above. there is a life outside basketball. My wife desires to see a couple of the shows coming to IPT. The basketball dates are important, for those of us who like to do both. That is the challenge… a happy home…get it?[/quote]

This is another FANTASTIC opportunity that Penn State should not miss out on.

The NBA is goign to be out on strike. This is the PERFECT time to make a serious push to reach out to all the hoops fans in the area that will be jonesin’ for some basketball.

Seriously, Penn State’s hoops program can make those deep inroads that everyone has been talking about for so long.

Lar:

The request, as detailed above. there is a life outside basketball. My wife desires to see a couple of the shows coming to IPT. The basketball dates are important, for those of us who like to do both. That is the challenge… a happy home…get it?

The NBA is goign to be out on strike. This is the PERFECT time to make a serious push to reach out to all the hoops fans in the area that will be jonesin’ for some basketball.

Seriously, Penn State’s hoops program can make those deep inroads that everyone has been talking about for so long.

Feel free to prove me wrong, but just how many people in the central part of the state give a hoot about NBA basketball? There are 76ers fans in this world I’ve been told, but I sure as hell never see any of them in Centre County. And anywhere west of here probably cares even less until you get to Cleveland.

I hate to always be raining on everyone’s parade lately, but I just don’t know how some of the ideas here make any sense in the real world. I believe this whole idea of making inroads is being seriously over-thought. If you build it they will come.

Altoona has a lot of hoops fans.

[quote="pap17754, post:9, topic:2536"]Lar:

The request, as detailed above. there is a life outside basketball. My wife desires to see a couple of the shows coming to IPT. The basketball dates are important, for those of us who like to do both. That is the challenge… a happy home…get it?[/quote]

Feel free to prove me wrong, but just how many people in the central part of the state give a hoot about NBA basketball? There are 76ers fans in this world I’ve been told, but I sure as hell never see any of them in Centre County. And anywhere west of here probably cares even less until you get to Cleveland.

I hate to always be raining on everyone’s parade lately, but I just don’t know how some of the ideas here make any sense in the real world. I believe this whole idea of making inroads is being seriously over-thought. If you build it they will come.

For example, the Pittsburgh Pirates have sold out their last 4 home games. Granted, the first three were against the Red Sox. And yesterday was the 4th of July – and they gave 4 free tix to any Active Duty Military or Veteran.

Yup, just like the Devil Rays and Marlins! :wink:

[quote=“tjb, post:6, topic:2536”]We sure could use something to get us to stop snipping at each other. Given that getting a commitment only diverted us for a few hours, I don’t hold out much hope for the OOC. I heard before ED resigned that we had signed commitments for all but one game, but as we all should know, everything is negotiable and maybe PC wants to switch things up.

:)[/quote]

With a young team I’m sure Chambers would probably want to put together a soft schedule and knowing Ed’s history, I’m sure the schedule will be soft.

We sure could use something to get us to stop snipping at each other. Given that getting a commitment only diverted us for a few hours, I don't hold out much hope for the OOC. I heard before ED resigned that we had signed commitments for all but one game, but as we all should know, everything is negotiable and maybe PC wants to switch things up.

:slight_smile:

With a young team I’m sure Chambers would probably want to put together a soft schedule and knowing Ed’s history, I’m sure the schedule will be soft.

You sound like Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg.

I love cupcakes… :)…they serve a good purpose. I would like more home OOC games scheduled when the students are on campus.

PREseason is to PREpare…(atleast this season.) i don’t know if it is possible to have a LESS experienced returning squad!!

Let’s have some fun this PREseason…win some games, win some fans…make the BJC a PARTY NIGHT…

[quote=“tundra, post:17, topic:2536”]I love cupcakes… :)…they serve a good purpose. I would like more home OOC games scheduled when the students are on campus.

PREseason is to PREpare…(atleast this season.) i don’t know if it is possible to have a LESS experienced returning squad!!

Let’s have some fun this PREseason…win some games, win some fans…make the BJC a PARTY NIGHT…[/quote]

Nobody is going to want to watch us play sub-300 schools, especially when a few will probably hang tough with us in a season like this. At least if you bring in good squads you don’t have to feel ashamed of losing to them and you have the possibility of creating some buzz by knocking one off.

You gain nothing by playing cupcakes. No experience, no fans, no credibility. You have everything to lose, nothing to gain.

I love cupcakes......... :).............they serve a good purpose. I would like more home OOC games scheduled when the students are on campus.

Let’s have some fun this PREseason…win some games, win some fans…make the BJC a PARTY NIGHT…

Nobody is going to want to watch us play sub-300 schools, especially when a few will probably hang tough with us in a season like this. At least if you bring in good squads you don’t have to feel ashamed of losing to them and you have the possibility of creating some buzz by knocking one off.

You gain nothing by playing cupcakes. No experience, no fans, no credibility. You have everything to lose, nothing to gain.

I don’t think this is a cut-and-dry situation. I think a schedule needs to be talored (…get it? :wink: ) to each team for each season.

Reality is, we have no post-season aspirations. Those who do are about to be HUGELY disapppointed. We have a bunch of kids who have seen between zilch and nada playing time. Did we forget that our starters next year are the ones who had us holding our breath this past season? Their role on this past year’s team was “eat some minutes and try not to let the game get too far out of hand for the starters to win it”.

THE SECOND LEADING RETURNING SCORER AVERAGED 2.5 PPG !!!

This is a team that needs to learn how to play college hoops. I am in the mindset that a team learns nothing from a 30 point blowout to Syacuse except how to lose.

Why does our schedule have to be either really hard or really easy? I think the best thing for this team would be a solid mix. Give us a few cupcakes to gain some confidence, mix in some ~100 teams for a highly competitive experience, then have a few tough tests to show them what to built towards.