PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Where was Billy Oliver?

First player off the bench all year, almost always for Brooks, who only played about 10 minutes in the first half, and 1 in the secnod.

But Oliver didn’t get in the game at all today. Anyone else think that’s odd?

[quote=“bstanf, post:1, topic:2200”]First player off the bench all year, almost always for Brooks, who only played about 10 minutes in the first half, and 1 in the secnod.

But Oliver didn’t get in the game at all today. Anyone else think that’s odd?[/quote]

The real question was, did anybody else mind?

I thought he would go in when Brooks was out. I’m not sure why he didn’t play. I guess we would have to ask Ed that question.

First player off the bench all year, almost always for Brooks, who only played about 10 minutes in the first half, and 1 in the secnod.

But Oliver didn’t get in the game at all today. Anyone else think that’s odd?

Cheap shot, but no matter what your opinion is on BO, it’s unlike anything we’ve seen from DeChellis in 8 years, and that makes it an interesting question.

[quote="bstanf, post:1, topic:2200"]First player off the bench all year, almost always for Brooks, who only played about 10 minutes in the first half, and 1 in the secnod.

But Oliver didn’t get in the game at all today. Anyone else think that’s odd?[/quote]

Cheap shot, but no matter what your opinion is on BO, it’s unlike anything we’ve seen from DeChellis in 8 years, and that makes it an interesting question.

Is it? Ed has had erratic substitution patterns all season. Maybe Billy got dinged in practice. Many plausible scenario why a player didn’t play

I see three reasons why Oliver didn’t play.

1. Jones and Jackson did not get in foul trouble.

2. No sense resting them any for this game. It wasn’t real fast paced and Ed was going to play his starting 5 as much as possible.

3. Temple only has one real threat in the low post so the more athletic Marshall & Woodyard were needed to replace Jeff.

[quote="bstanf, post:1, topic:2200"]First player off the bench all year, almost always for Brooks, who only played about 10 minutes in the first half, and 1 in the secnod.

Sorry, just sort of emotional right now. But to answer more directly, I think DeChellis has started to move away from Billy when Jermaine was getting early minutes in some games. This may have been the gameplan to limit turnovers against a team that is good at forcing turnovers. Like him or not, BO is far from a great ballhandler.

I have a gut feeling that it was all about the match ups in this game. Temple doesn’t have much size in their front court, so I’m guessing Ed was more comfortable going with a smaller lineup. I don’t think it’s a knock on Oliver at all. I know Oliver has a lot of work to do to improve his game, but Ed seemed perfectly comfortable with him during the BTT, and each game we played in the BTT was essentially a must-win game. So yeah, I think it had much more to do with Temple’s lineup than it did with Oliver.

Marshall didn’t play much (at all?) in the 2nd half either.

I mostly like Ed, but his substitution patterns (or lack thereof) are mystifying to me. And it has to be hard for the bench players since they can never get comfortable out there.

Ed has had erratic substitution patterns all season.

Marshall didn’t play much (at all?) in the 2nd half either.

I mostly like Ed, but his substitution patterns (or lack thereof) are mystifying to me. And it has to be hard for the bench players since they can never get comfortable out there.

Part of this I think is Ed really didn’t find a player he was confident in until Marshall stepped up late in season.

I think it was match ups today. We needed to try and keep up with their guards, I could tell early on that we were willing to give their bigs a lot of room and weren’t too worried about them. We’ve sent Billy in to sacrifice himself to the Jared Sullingers of the world.

I guessed that Ed felt more comfortable with Cam’s experience and that’s why he went in the second half. He played well, too. Marshall showed a lot, looking forward to his career.