Where to View UM Game in NYC

My wife & I will be in NYC this weekend. Does anyone know a sports bar that would carry the Big Ten Network? Thanks.

Dave & Busters. If you eat there you can request they put on the channel. I do it often on Long Island. Bar food, not bad. About $10-15 per meal. Any sports bar should have DirectTV. There’s a D&B in Manhattan at 234 W 42nd, at Times Square. That area has cleaned up significantly in last 25 years. Very safe now. Might be quite crowded. More than 50 TV’s at the one in Westbury. It’s also a video arcade, so can be noisy. The one in Westbury, where I go, probably 20,000 square feet, does $70,000 in business on Saturdays. You may not be able to hear the broadcast. They give you a box so you can hear it, but it’s not that great, hard to find the channel, so I don’t bother with it, static, etc., bowling alley and video background noise doesn’t help either, though haven’t been to the one in NYC. Bring your laptop and you can blog at this site during game as they have free wireless internet connection.

Thanks, Kid. The Manhattan location couldn’t be better. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis so it’s just a hop, skip and very short jump. I’ll check it out as soon as we arrive tomorrow. Thanks again.

You must have the nicest wife ever. :wink:

[quote="kidcoyote, post:2, topic:861"]Dave & Busters. If you eat there you can request they put on the channel. I do it often on Long Island. Bar food, not bad. About $10-15 per meal. Any sports bar should have DirectTV. There's a D&B in Manhattan at 234 W 42nd, at Times Square. That area has cleaned up significantly in last 25 years. Very safe now. Might be quite crowded. More than 50 TV's at the one in Westbury. It's also a video arcade, so can be noisy. The one in Westbury, where I go, probably 20,000 square feet, does $70,000 in business on Saturdays. You may not be able to hear the broadcast. They give you a box so you can hear it, but it's not that great, hard to find the channel, so I don't bother with it, static, etc., bowling alley and video background noise doesn't help either, though haven't been to the one in NYC. Bring your laptop and you can blog at this site during game as they have free wireless internet connection.[/quote]

Thanks, Kid. The Manhattan location couldn’t be better. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis so it’s just a hop, skip and very short jump. I’ll check it out as soon as we arrive tomorrow. Thanks again.

You might want to check if the hotel has DirectTV. You’ll hear the game better.

The ESPN Zone might be close by too.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:2, topic:861"]Dave & Busters. If you eat there you can request they put on the channel. I do it often on Long Island. Bar food, not bad. About $10-15 per meal. Any sports bar should have DirectTV. There's a D&B in Manhattan at 234 W 42nd, at Times Square. That area has cleaned up significantly in last 25 years. Very safe now. Might be quite crowded. More than 50 TV's at the one in Westbury. It's also a video arcade, so can be noisy. The one in Westbury, where I go, probably 20,000 square feet, does $70,000 in business on Saturdays. You may not be able to hear the broadcast. They give you a box so you can hear it, but it's not that great, hard to find the channel, so I don't bother with it, static, etc., bowling alley and video background noise doesn't help either, though haven't been to the one in NYC. Bring your laptop and you can blog at this site during game as they have free wireless internet connection.[/quote]

ESPN Zone is only a couple blocks from your hotel.

Does ESPNZone show a competitor network like the Big Ten Network? Impressive…

maybe the BTN only allows them to show still shots?

I’m familiar with ESPN Zone and it is certainly an option. I have usually found it to be very loud and crowded and touristy. I was hoping find something a little more intimate. But, then, I’ll do whatever necessary to watch the game.

[quote="jyd, post:8, topic:861"]Does ESPNZone show a competitor network like the Big Ten Network? Impressive...[/quote]

I’m familiar with ESPN Zone and it is certainly an option. I have usually found it to be very loud and crowded and touristy. I was hoping find something a little more intimate. But, then, I’ll do whatever necessary to watch the game.

Agreed. I have only been to the Dave and Busters in Philly, but it is very loud and crowded as well.

I know my friends go to “PSU sports bars” in Manhattan to watch the football games. Maybe they are the better bet? Looks like Mean Fiddler, Blondies, Sidebar might do the trick?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Penn+State+sports+bar+in+Manhattan&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=d95f0d161f018361

[quote="jyd, post:8, topic:861"]Does ESPNZone show a competitor network like the Big Ten Network? Impressive...[/quote]

Agreed. I have only been to the Dave and Busters in Philly, but it is very loud and crowded as well.

I know my friends go to “PSU sports bars” in Manhattan to watch the football games. Maybe they are the better bet? Looks like Mean Fiddler, Blondies, Sidebar might do the trick?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Penn+State+sports+bar+in+Manhattan&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=d95f0d161f018361

Thanks for the suggestions. The Mean Fiddler & Blondies look doable. I’ll check them out.

[quote="Bulldog, post:1, topic:861"]My wife & I will be in NYC this weekend. Does anyone know a sports bar that would carry the Big Ten Network? Thanks.[/quote]

You must have the nicest wife ever. :wink:

Nope that would be mine, Bulldog’s comes close. Mine pretty much knows that from September to March I am following some sort of ball on the television. Last Saturday we were out and she said what time is the game on. I told her and she dropped me off at the house and then ran errands with her Mom. No questions asked. ;D

Enjoy the game. The only sports bar in my town (I live in CA) is an OSU bar. It hurts.

CA? I thought you were attending State College HS games and saw Buie play. Just visiting?