What's the excuse du jour?

What is the latest, most fashionable reason to justify keeping Ed after 7 years even though is worse than Jerry Dunn?

I think it’s time to start making excuses for next year, when Ed creates another 200+ OOC SOS and his team maxes out with the NIT again. Otherwise we might get caught without an excuse to keep him for year 9!

[quote=“psu_DC, post:1, topic:977”]What is the latest, most fashionable reason to justify keeping Ed after 7 years even though is worse than Jerry Dunn?

I think it’s time to start making excuses for next year, when Ed creates another 200+ OOC SOS and his team maxes out with the NIT again. Otherwise we might get caught without an excuse to keep him for year 9![/quote]
Just start calling, writing, emailing Curely and Spanier if you think a change needs to be made. Write letters to the editor of the Harrisburg Patriot, Altoona Mirror, and Centre Daily Times. PSU hates bad media and thats how they will listen if there is pressure put on. Hundreds of message posting will not do anything.

[quote=“psu_DC, post:1, topic:977”]What is the latest, most fashionable reason to justify keeping Ed after 7 years even though is worse than Jerry Dunn?

I think it’s time to start making excuses for next year, when Ed creates another 200+ OOC SOS and his team maxes out with the NIT again. Otherwise we might get caught without an excuse to keep him for year 9![/quote]
Where there is a Ed apologist, there will always be a barrelful of excuses to keep DeChellis from being held accountable for his record and his lack of sustainable results.

That, blind faith, and hope are the three constants that have endured for seven long seasons in Happy Valley.

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:977"]What is the latest, most fashionable reason to justify keeping Ed after 7 years even though is worse than Jerry Dunn?

Just start calling, writing, emailing Curely and Spanier if you think a change needs to be made. Write letters to the editor of the Harrisburg Patriot, Altoona Mirror, and Centre Daily Times. PSU hates bad media and thats how they will listen if there is pressure put on. Hundreds of message posting will not do anything.

The papers will take care of the bad press themselves. A 75% losing record in conference after 7 years, with a $650k salary will generate bad press all by itself.

The “fashionable” reason (excuse) is to compare our program to NW (Carmody.) Some how the apologists are making it “cool” to be losers.

How L…O…W… can we go??

Keep posting anonymously on an internet forum that no decision makers give a hoot about.
Do you think Spanier or Curley care if an alum from the outskirts of nowhere thinks a coach should be fired? Quit whining and get back to counting beans.

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:977"]What is the latest, most fashionable reason to justify keeping Ed after 7 years even though is worse than Jerry Dunn?

Keep posting anonymously on an internet forum that no decision makers give a hoot about.
Do you think Spanier or Curley care if an alum from the outskirts of nowhere thinks a coach should be fired? Quit whining and get back to counting beans.

I don’t think you can have just one excuse-I think you need a whole supply of excuses. We will be getting a new shipment about early October. However, if I had to put them in order, I might rank them…
1-Curley is bad
2- No airplane
3 Very cold in the winter here
4-Not wild enough here-far from an urban area
5-Possible player injuries
6-the other team just shot the lights out
7-Curley is still bad
8-we were high on the unlucky-o-meter
9-our rolling 4 year average is fine
10-we are getting close to NIT land and ALMOST made the NCAA bubble so everything is fine
11-A lot of our subs are VERY YOUNG and just need time to jell
12-Curley is totally to blame-

Here is my favorite quote of the day in response to the D Jones article-- DeChellis gets at least ubtil 2011

Posted by sitkor
March 12, 2010, 2:29PM
Dear god. curley is clueless. “i like the the way he runs our program” is like Exxon retaining the captain of the Valdez because “he likes the way he steers the ship”

Funny… i don’t see excuses being made up daily, it’s whining posts like this one that seem to be getting made each and everyday.

The “excuses” for keeping Ed have been the same by everyone… And we’ve all heard the arguments against keeping him here another year. So frankly, what is the point of this thread? Just another chance to take shots at people you don’t agree with? Another way to show how we’re all morons for considering the situation and coming to our own conclusion?

Yes - we’re all just pathetic apologists who couldn’t possibly rationalize a situation like this one… we get it. Can we keep that to the other 20 threads where you’ve pointed out the same thing already?

Anyone notice the traffic spikes that take place on boards like this when things are going poorly? For every TJB that would rather not talk about it when things are bad, there must be 10 spikes that just can’t get enough of bashing the program and anyone who supports it.

well i think most of us are very upset with the performance of the program so this is how we express ourselves.

Human nature. Some people, OK a lot of people, love it when things don’t go to plan. That’s when they get their biggest kicks and have to voice their opinion about what is wrong and what should be done. I choose to ignore most of them. I like differing opinions, but when it’s a broken record or there’s nothing you can do about it (unless Curley listens and acts on our opinions ::)) why waste your breath over and over and over again.

Come to think of it, why am I wasting mine. :slight_smile:

So rather than talk about next year’s team or the future of the program or anything that might stimulate some interesting talk about the team, we get a post like this? Seriously, what is possibly going to come out of a post like this? We get it, you don’t think Ed should be around. If he has another season like this year, he won’t make it past this point next season. But instead of supporting the kids on the court or the coach that will be in place, you’ll make posts to take shots at anyone that sees any hope for the future with this bunch?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:10, topic:977"]Anyone notice the traffic spikes that take place on boards like this when things are going poorly? For every TJB that would rather not talk about it when things are bad, there must be 10 spikes that just can't get enough of bashing the program and anyone who supports it.[/quote]

Human nature. Some people, OK a lot of people, love it when things don’t go to plan. That’s when they get their biggest kicks and have to voice their opinion about what is wrong and what should be done. I choose to ignore most of them. I like differing opinions, but when it’s a broken record or there’s nothing you can do about it (unless Curley listens and acts on our opinions ::)) why waste your breath over and over and over again.

[quote="hoops19, post:11, topic:977"]well i think most of us are very upset with the performance of the program so this is how we express ourselves.[/quote] So rather than talk about next year's team or the future of the program or anything that might stimulate some interesting talk about the team, we get a post like this? Seriously, what is possibly going to come out of a post like this? We get it, you don't think Ed should be around. If he has another season like this year, he won't make it past this point next season. But instead of supporting the kids on the court or the coach that will be in place, you'll make posts to take shots at anyone that sees any hope for the future with this bunch?

It’s amazing the length that people will go to bash. It’s like they think they weren’t heard the first time. It’s the same stuff over and over and over again. Bashing bashing bashing.

This is how they “express” themselves. They don’t support the kids on the court or the coach that will be in place. They just want to take shots at anyone that sees any hope. They want to make the offseason and next year as bleak and as painful as possible. Too much whining. Bashers don’t want to accept that coach will remain as coach next season. They just keep crying about it over and over again. It’s pathetic. Grow up bashers.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:10, topic:977"]Anyone notice the traffic spikes that take place on boards like this when things are going poorly? For every TJB that would rather not talk about it when things are bad, there must be 10 spikes that just can't get enough of bashing the program and anyone who supports it.[/quote]

Come to think of it, why am I wasting mine. :slight_smile:

1. Then why aren’t the games drawing more people? ;D
  2. I seem to remember Tim or someone else noting when we had the most people on this board at one time and if I am not mistaken I believe it was during something good actually happening. Maybe 2001?

People want good things to happen. They are just driven to anger by their perceived state and direction of the program.

Yeah people want good things to happen, but when the things that they think should happen don’t happen, they lash out at anyone with a differing viewpoint. Anger is not going to make good things happen. Anger is going to make bad things happen. Support and only support is going make good things happen. Whoever is in charge, whatever the situation is, deserves our support. Those who will root against PSU next year hoping that coach gets fired are not supporting the PSU basketball program.

Yeah people want good things to happen, but when the things that they think should happen don't happen, they lash out at anyone with a differing viewpoint.
Another reason they lash out is because when the things they thought should happen, and they felt were in place to happen, don't happen, they get pissed. They get pissed because the reality is they were wrong. No, no, no can't be wrong! There has to be blame placed -, otherwise they would have to admit they were wrong in what they thought should happen. One thing they won't stand for is the thought that they were wrong, their BB IQ and BB credibility is at stake.

Black or white. Good or bad. Up or down. In or out. Are there any other polar opposites and absolutes I missed?

Since when did support of Ed mean support of the program. You choose to automatically link the two together. Contrary to your omniscient beliefs, it is possible for one to support this program without believing the current head coach should still be here.

I have avoided conflicts (or “bashing” as you so dis-eloquently like to put it) nearly everyone who “supports” the program. The only person I have directly taken issue with is you, and not for what you say, but with the self-perceived over-exalted superiority with which you say it.

Another reason they lash out is because the things that when the things they thought should happen and they felt were in place to happen, don’t happen, they get pissed. They get pissed because the reality is they were wrong. No, no, no can’t be wrong!
There has to be blame placed -, otherwise they would have to admit they were wrong in what they thought should happen. One thing they won’t stand for is the thought that they were wrong, their BB IQ and BB credibility is at stake.[/quote]

1. Wow, the only people who are rude and lash out around here are those who don’t support Ed. Really? ::slight_smile:
  2. As for lashing out because people don’t like to be proven wrong. I suppose one could much more easily argue that is precisely why Ed still has any support at all after 7 years. It takes some people loNger than 7 years to be convinced they were wrong. ::slight_smile: