PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What's it like today to be

Kurt Kanaskie or Dan Earl et al? It’s unlikely that a new incoming coach keep all or any of them, and I haven’t heard any repports that they are following Ed to Navy.

[quote=“billtown, post:1, topic:2414”]Kurt Kanaskie or Dan Earl et al? It’s unlikely that a new incoming coach keep all or any of them, and I haven’t heard any repports that they are following Ed to Navy.[/quote]Ed has said he wants to take both with him to Navy

I wonder if Kurt wishes he had taken the Lock Haven position.

AGREED…NO relocation!

[quote="mjg, post:3, topic:2414"]I wonder if Kurt wishes he had taken the Lock Haven position.[/quote]

AGREED…NO relocation!

Yeah, Kurt might be negatively affected the most by all of this.

ED said yesterday that both Kanaskie and Earl are welcome to follow him to Annapolis. They each may want to take time to look around and see what else is available. I’m guessing Kanaskie will apply for the job to succeed DeChellis and that he’ll get an interview, out of courtesy at least, but I very much doubt he has a real shot at the job.

From Danny Earl’s standpoint, it may be best professionally to not follow DeChellis and expand his resume by experiencing how another coach does things. I think Dan has a good future in the coaching profession.

There’s a lot of turnover in college basketball coaching, especially among assistants. If you can’t expect and deal with it, you’re probably in the wrong profession.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:6, topic:2414”]ED said yesterday that both Kanaskie and Earl are welcome to follow him to Annapolis. They each may want to take time to look around and see what else is available. I’m guessing Kanaskie will apply for the job to succeed DeChellis and that he’ll get an interview, out of courtesy at least, but I very much doubt he has a real shot at the job.

From Danny Earl’s standpoint, it may be best professionally to not follow DeChellis and expand his resume by experiencing how another coach does things. I think Dan has a good future in the coaching profession.

There’s a lot of turnover in college basketball coaching, especially among assistants. If you can’t expect and deal with it, you’re probably in the wrong profession. [/quote]

Following Ed to Annapolis may be his only choice. It was pretty late right now to get an assistants position elsewhere - especially at a comparable school. A big difference however will be the change in pay with the additional increase of the cost of living expenses associated with moving from State College to The Baltimore/D.C. area. While the pay for an assistant at PSU was not comparable to other Big Ten schools - it is (I would assume) a huge step down at a Patriot League School. Not as easy an adjustment as one might think.

I could see earl going if he is the #1 assistant. Otherwise it’d make no sense demoting himself.

Sort of what it’s like to be a PSU hoops season ticket holder. >:(

Unless unemployment is the other option.

I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility for Kurt to end up on an NBA bench or with an NBA scouting job. He’s got a pretty good reputation as an X’s and O’s guy (though you’re have a hard time convincing many around here of that).

Who’s higher on the totem pole? KK or Earl?

Any chance that one of them (whichever one is #2 in the chain of command) ends up taking over as the new #1 at K-State with Preston?

I hope your kiddin. The way I see it the season ticket holders just “hit the jackpot.”

[quote=“Spades88, post:12, topic:2414”]Who’s higher on the totem pole? KK or Earl?

Any chance that one of them (whichever one is #2 in the chain of command) ends up taking over as the new #1 at K-State with Preston?[/quote]

Kurt was the #1 assistant, Earl the #3. Preston was the #2.

[quote="Spades88, post:12, topic:2414"]Who's higher on the totem pole? KK or Earl?

Any chance that one of them (whichever one is #2 in the chain of command) ends up taking over as the new #1 at K-State with Preston?[/quote]

Kurt was the #1 assistant, Earl the #3. Preston was the #2.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Well, maybe Earl goes off to become Preston’s primary assistant then? I don’t know. I sure would like to see him stay, though.