PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What's Going to Happen First

I was just curious as to your thoughts on this question. The 2 programs look like they may be headed in different directions.

Maybe I should have made it the Elite 8?

Basketball makes the Sweet 16 because…

1. Pat Chambers is already going through the rebuilding of the roster. Bill O’Brien is a season behind.
  2. Both teams will be getting in their quality freshman classes the same year, but it usually takes players a season or two in football to develop the strength necessary to compete.
  3. I’ve tipped us to make a deep NCAA tourney run (I consider deep anything beyond the 1st weekend) in 2014-15. So that means football would have to make the Final 4 playoff by 2014, which I don’t think is going to happen.
  4. Coaches take time to adjust to leagues, and coaching tendencies, and Chambers already has a season, O’Brien has yet to go through one.
  5. The NCAA or the university could sanction the football program making it incredibly difficult for them to make the playoffs if there are scholarship reductions, etc. (Not saying I agree with it, just that it COULD happen. Have to clarify so people don’t throw their arms in the air in disgust)

Football. As great as our class is looking for next year, it’s still probably not even close to a top 25 class. With everything hanging over the football program right now, we’re probably looking at a Top 10 class if everyone stays on board. I have tons of faith in coach Chambers, but I don’t think we’re quite as far along as some others do.

I see 2 things:
1.) The football team is going to take a swoon
2.) The BCS playoff is still done via polls, and the polls love certain teams, such as SEC schools, USC, Texas, etc. Hoops have more of a self determining mode to it’s post season.

I am going with the Sweet 16 just cause I really think football is going to get hard with sanction that will really set the program back a good 5 years. In those five years and barring any university wide sanction,Chambers should be able to get a team into the dance and I have faith that once his teams get in, they will do damage.

Its really funny, I keep thinking about a post I made a few years back saying PSU basketball won’t be good till 3 things happen and right now the 3 things happened and I am just curious to see if basketball starts taking off.

I picked basketball. I think football will do well in a couple of years. BUT, I see the football system as “political.” I don’t see PSU doing well in the football political arena!!

If the status quo is any indication, I don’t see PSU football doing well in a political arena either. PSU football could go undefeated and win every game by 50 points, and do you really think Stephan A. Smith would cast his vote for PSU making a playoff? Did you see him on ESPN yesterday? he called for a 2 or 5 year death penalty for PSU football. He’s outraged that PSU is even allowed to play football anymore, let alone competing for a national championship. College football is basically a beauty pageant, and lets just say that PSU isn’t exactly miss America.

All the death penalty discussion reminds me of when the story first broke and all the meadia types were competing to see who could be the most outrageous. One year isn’t enough, let’s do 5 years… etc. Disgusting.

How much did Bush’s hesiman set back USC? How about after the fact fab 5? We’ll suffer enough even without sanctions, thank you. We don’t need the NCAA piling in some search for being able to say they “did something”

We should have a couple of other options.

3). When will the PSU football team play again and who will care? Who is going to carry the games? Any network will not carry the games for fear of the boycott that will ensue (i.e. the paint company that bailed right after the scandal broke).
4). Do we really care? With what is going on we should be worried about more than balls, helmets and sticks. The school needs to be purged, any and all administrators who were anywhere close to the Fiendish Four needs to be removed from the school including the BoT.

I used to be proud to say “We Are” now I’m disgusted to hear the news every single day and I want to feel that pride again.

I don’t see why throwing the baby out with the bath water somehow accomplishes something. If someone was involved, then certainly take a look at them. I just don’t see what it accomplishes by getting rid of someone if, in their professional capacity, they “came anywhere close” to the four that are already gone.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:9, topic:3341"]The school needs to be purged, any and all administrators who were anywhere close to the Fiendish Four needs to be removed from the school including the BoT.[/quote]

I don’t see why throwing the baby out with the bath water somehow accomplishes something. If someone was involved, then certainly take a look at them. I just don’t see what it accomplishes by getting rid of someone if, in their professional capacity, they “came anywhere close” to the four that are already gone.

I think we have a thread for this conversation somewhere else.