PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What's going on at Pitt?

They won 11 of their first 12, then lose to Wagner at the conclusioin fotheir OOC.

Now, they are 0-6 in the BIG EAST and on a 7 game losing streak.

From what I had read last week, this team collectively has the highest ranking recruits that they have had in recent memory. Their lineup is full of 4 and 5 star recruits.

Dixon can’t coach. :wink:

I am surprised as heck. Thougt they would be down but not like this. I just know it makes me smile

Saw all the ~itt kids alot this summer. My thoughts if I would be coaching against ~itt was “Stop Gibbs at all cost and make some one else score.” Naz Robinson scored early in the year…but, I didn’t think he would be a great 2nd option in the BigLeast. Naz is a nice player but I don’t think he is a natural scorer. Plus he is an approx. 6-3 power forward.
But, in general the chemistry is not good. A big difference from other years. I gotta think Gibbs is kicking himself about not going pro. He was a 50-50 NBA draftee. But, being “Big Least Player of the Year” should have got him $200,000 or so in Europe is he was not drafted by the NBA.
Even though ~itt won early season games the warning sign were very strong for a rough year.
Plus the K. Birch staff hasn’t helped.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12017/1204030-175.stm

They are very inexperienced, and their go to guy (Gibbs) has been inconsistent, and done a very poor job shooting the ball since the start of December (63 for 169).

Defensively they seem okay, but their offense can never give them a lift.

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:2988”]Saw all the ~itt kids alot this summer. My thoughts if I would be coaching against ~itt was “Stop Gibbs at all cost and make some one else score.” Naz Robinson scored early in the year…but, I didn’t think he would be a great 2nd option in the BigLeast. Naz is a nice player but I don’t think he is a natural scorer. Plus he is an approx. 6-3 power forward.
But, in general the chemistry is not good. A big difference from other years. I gotta think Gibbs is kicking himself about not going pro. He was a 50-50 NBA draftee. But, being “Big Least Player of the Year” should have got him $200,000 or so in Europe is he was not drafted by the NBA.
Even though ~itt won early season games the warning sign were very strong for a rough year.
Plus the K. Birch staff hasn’t helped.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12017/1204030-175.stm[/quote]

The irony to that is I think Gibbs may have been the lowest ranked recruit in the lineup.

Saw all the ~itt kids alot this summer. [b]My thoughts if I would be coaching against ~itt was "Stop Gibbs at all cost and make some one else score."[/b] Naz Robinson scored early in the year...but, I didn't think he would be a great 2nd option in the BigLeast. Naz is a nice player but I don't think he is a natural scorer. Plus he is an approx. 6-3 power forward. But, in general the chemistry is not good. A big difference from other years. I gotta think Gibbs is kicking himself about not going pro. He was a 50-50 NBA draftee. But, being "Big Least Player of the Year" should have got him $200,000 or so in Europe is he was not drafted by the NBA. Even though ~itt won early season games the warning sign were very strong for a rough year. Plus the K. Birch staff hasn't helped. [url=http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12017/1204030-175.stm]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12017/1204030-175.stm[/url]

The irony to that is I think Gibbs may have been the lowest ranked recruit in the lineup.

And Dante Taylor, former Mcdonald’s All-Amercan who is now a junior, was probably the highest ranked and he hasn’t looked all that great in his time at Pitt.

Pitt’s recent success never seemed to be based on the stars of recruits, rather their willingness to buy into the system and play a certain way. On top of that, their interior game has consistently been very strong. This season they seem to have the exact opposite – highly ranked players who have not bought in, and a non-existent interior game.

I think of them as the Wisconsin of the Big East.

Anyone happen to Note Joney’s little hoops roundup in the patriot last weekend? Notice where Pitt and Nova are in the b-esat standings? AT THE BOTTOM. When’s the last time THAT has happened? PLUS what a window of opportunity for PC to hit the recruiting trail and change the PA hoops ladscape permanently.

BTW… With Pitt and Nova where they are, what’s the best college team in PA right now?

Hey Jonesy, who’s your top PA team? My guess is you’d pick Temple. Bucky and/or Lehigh has to be up that list too.

By the way, ~itt’s women’s team has totally fallen apart!
Angus B. (women’s coach) was a big name a couple of years ago. Now…they are 9-11 and 0-5 in the Big Least coming off a 120-44 loss to ND.

[quote=“MarkH, post:9, topic:2988”]Anyone happen to Note Joney’s little hoops roundup in the patriot last weekend? Notice where Pitt and Nova are in the b-esat standings? AT THE BOTTOM. When’s the last time THAT has happened? PLUS what a window of opportunity for PC to hit the recruiting trail and change the PA hoops ladscape permanently.

BTW… With Pitt and Nova where they are, what’s the best college team in PA right now?

Hey Jonesy, who’s your top PA team? My guess is you’d pick Temple. Bucky and/or Lehigh has to be up that list too.[/quote]

Keeping with the theme of a Penn State basketball forum, the better question may be:

Where is Penn State ranked amongst all the PA college teams? Rank all the PA teams leading up to Penn State…

1.) Temple - can’t argue with teh win over Duke
2.) St. Joe’s - we saw first hand how good they are
3.) Pitt - on roster alone
4.) Penn State
5.) Bucknell - the haven’t reallly beat anyone that we haven’t, and it’s my list so my team trumps theres !

Next year’s 5* ~itter

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34437872?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB

[quote=“tundra, post:12, topic:2988”]Next year’s 5* ~itter

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34437872?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB[/quote]

WE’LL TAKE HIM !!!

Pitt has had an amazing run for a team not named Duke, UNC or MSU. Villanova has never been as good or as tradition-rich as its fans have believed.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:11, topic:2988”]Keeping with the theme of a Penn State basketball forum, the better question may be:

Where is Penn State ranked amongst all the PA college teams? Rank all the PA teams leading up to Penn State…

1.) Temple - can’t argue with teh win over Duke
2.) St. Joe’s - we saw first hand how good they are
3.) Pitt - on roster alone
4.) Penn State
5.) Bucknell - the haven’t reallly beat anyone that we haven’t, and it’s my list so my team trumps theres ![/quote]

Ummm… Layfayette won at the BJC, but lost at home to the Bison.

However, a PSU/Bucknell game this year would have been a very entertaining contest (and good for the old RPI to boot). I hope PC can get them back on the schedule.

Final Four appearances since the NCAA expanded beyond 16 teams in the tournament:
Villanova - 3 (though they vacated 1 of them)
Penn State - 1
Pitt - 0

[quote=“NICU, post:8, topic:2988”]Pitt’s recent success never seemed to be based on the stars of recruits, rather their willingness to buy into the system and play a certain way. On top of that, their interior game has consistently been very strong. This season they seem to have the exact opposite – highly ranked players who have not bought in, and a non-existent interior game.

I think of them as the Wisconsin of the Big East.[/quote]

According to this morning’s RPI numbers, the top 3 PA hoops schools as ranked by the RPI:

1.) 24. Temple
2.) 53. St Joes
3.) 85. Bucknell

What are the odds that either just 1 or NO PA teams make the tourny this year?

*** Had to modify the post because RealTimeRPI initially gave me old numbers

As long as Temple keeps their 25-30 RPI, and with the win against Duke, they’re in for sure.

Bucky has an excelllent shot at winning the PL again this year, but no way will their RPI ever be good enough for an at-large. Even on a good year they’re maybe 20-30 RPI short of an at-large (and when it’s that good they’re usually league champ anyway)

Anyone else would have to be a conference tourny winner like a Robert Morris or St Francis or someone like that, and I have no idea what’s going on in those leagues.

Looks like Temple is the only at-large possibility, I’d say.

Pitt's recent success never seemed to be based on the stars of recruits, rather their willingness to buy into the system and play a certain way. On top of that, their interior game has consistently been very strong. This season they seem to have the exact opposite -- highly ranked players who have not bought in, and a non-existent interior game.

I think of them as the Wisconsin of the Big East.

According to this morning’s RPI numbers, the top 3 PA hoops schools as ranked by the RPI:

1.) 24. Temple
2.) 53. St Joes
3.) 85. Bucknell

What are the odds that either just 1 or NO PA teams make the tourny this year?

*** Had to modify the post because RealTimeRPI initially gave me old numbers

There will be two minimum. Lehigh or Bucknell are taking the Patriot League, and Temple is a lock barring a collapse. St. Joe’s could be a bubble team, and make it three.