What's Andrew Ott's Ceiling?

Just want to get everyone’s opinion on what can we expect to see from Ott over the next year and a half. Can he be an average Big10 center? I don’t see the team play a whole lot but the feeling I get from reading the forum here is that he’s a big body who lacks athleticism but hustles. Does he have any post moves? Is he “skilled”?

On the season he’s averaging
approx 10.5 mpg, 4.1 ppg, and 2.3 rpg

Since he’s started (last 4 games) he’s averaging:
20.5 mpg, 7.25 ppg, and 4.25 rpg

What can we expect from him going forward? Can PSU be a post-season team next year w/ Ott manning the 5 spot?

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:1, topic:731”]Just want to get everyone’s opinion on what can we expect to see from Ott over the next year and a half. Can he be an average Big10 center? I don’t see the team play a whole lot but the feeling I get from reading the forum here is that he’s a big body who lacks athleticism but hustles. Does he have any post moves? Is he “skilled”?

On the season he’s averaging
approx 10.5 mpg, 4.1 ppg, and 2.3 rpg

Since he’s started (last 4 games) he’s averaging:
20.5 mpg, 7.25 ppg, and 4.25 rpg

What can we expect from him going forward? Can PSU be a post-season team next year w/ Ott manning the 5 spot?[/quote]

It depends. How pathetic of a schedule will Ed put together?

He has some decent back to the basket moves and rebounds well. I think as his conditioning continues to improve with his increased playing time I think he can average 8-9 pts a game and maybe 5-6 boards. He isn’t quite what most people probably wanted Jones to be at the beginning of the season (2nd/3rd leading scorer at maybe 12 pts and 6-7 boards a game), but production wise I think he can get in the ballpark. He’s never going to be an option we want to go to every possession or anything, but from the last 4 or so games where he’s got a significant amount of time, he holds his own in the Big Ten, plays smart and always hustles. Plus, I think some of the mistakes like the travel with 1:30 left in the game today, will decrease as he gets more comfortable.

As for a postseason team next year with him? Thats really tough to say and take a lot of optimism with the way the team looks, currently. I suppose, in a perfect scenerio, Talor continues to be a star, Babb continues to develop his game and starts to average 10-12 per game, Buie comes in and makes an immediate impact on defense and provides another option on offense that can go to the hoop and create, Jackson plays aggressively like he did today and gives us 10 and 5 per game and Edwards keeps up the offense and cuts down on the turnovers and provides another 8-10 with 4-5 boards a game. If all of that happens (big big if) Ott’s 8-9 pts and 5-6 boards plus his size in the middle with solid D could give PSU enough in the middle to make some sort of run. It amazes me as I type this that Brooks and Jones are out of the plan when I thought before the season they’d be making the leap and keeping this team at least in NIT range. Unless they make significant improvements to their games/consistency, they aren’t going to be more than bench players next season. I guess its at least good that bench guys have so much experience. I suppose thats what people mean when they talk about PSU having the most depth they’ve had in a long time.

I’ll also say that Andrew might struggle against athletic big men like Johnson from Purdue, but I still think he provides our best option in games where the opponent has that type of player.

Hopefully higher than 7’2" or so, or he’s going to have real neck problems.

Ott has played well this season. He has lost weight from last year but is stronger and quicker (relative.)
BUT…Andrew Ott (like the other Andrew) is not really a guy that should be measured in numbers.
The team seems to “look to pass the ball into the low post” much more when he is in the game. Whether it is passed to him or passed from him!
The team seems to have a better inside/outside balance in the half-court offense with Ott in the game!

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:731”]The team seems to have a better inside/outside balance in the half-court offense with Ott in the game![/quote]I 100% agree. The offense seems to run better now with him and Edwards in the lineup. Spacing is better and so is the movement. Both guys seem to know how to play basketball. Brooks and Jones seem to flux between floating around aimlessley, standing still doing nothing and being a part of the O.

I still don’t get why DJ gets a pass on all of the critcism of forwards. He get’s to be a “glue guy” in everyone’s eyes. His stats aren’t much different than Brooks and I don’t really see that he’s contributing that much ways that aren’t measurable (picks, screens, help D, rotations, etc).

Jak look again at DJ. I thought the same thing but he has actually been playing pretty well. I think he is about 9 ppg and 5 rpg since conference play began.

Not denying Ott is playing well, but why would his conditioning improve? He’s been at the school since Fall '08. That’s 18 months ago. He’s got less time left than he’s already had. WYSIWYG, IMO.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:7, topic:731”]Jak look again at DJ. I thought the same thing but he has actually been playing pretty well. I think he is about 9 ppg and 5 rpg since conference play began.[/quote]You are correct 9.0 and 4.9 in 32.6 minutes per game. Brooks is 5.9 and 4.1 in 19.7. So, if Brooks played the the same amount of minutes he’d average about 9.8 and 6.8. So, I ask again. Why does DJ get a pass on the criticism?

btw. I’m not saying that Brooks deserves more minutes. DJ is better at probably every intangible except shotblocking.

Jak look again at DJ. I thought the same thing but he has actually been playing pretty well. I think he is about 9 ppg and 5 rpg since conference play began.
You are correct 9.0 and 4.9 in 32.6 minutes per game. Brooks is 5.9 and 4.1 in 19.7. So, if Brooks played the the same amount of minutes he'd average about 9.8 and 6.8. So, I ask again. Why does DJ get a pass on the criticism?

btw. I’m not saying that Brooks deserves more minutes. DJ is better at probably every intangible except shotblocking.

I consider DJ a better defender and less of a liability. He’s the second best at taking care of the ball behind Babb, whereas Brooks is 4th highest on the team after Edwards, Frazier, and Jones.

He has some decent back to the basket moves and rebounds well. I think as his conditioning continues to improve with his increased playing time I think he can average 8-9 pts a game and maybe 5-6 boards.

Not denying Ott is playing well, but why would his conditioning improve? He’s been at the school since Fall '08. That’s 18 months ago. He’s got less time left than he’s already had. WYSIWYG, IMO.

I think you can run all you want in practice and outside of games, there isn’t anything that compares to getting your lungs used to 30 minutes of PT. He was getting less than 15 minutes per game mostly up until about 5 games ago. I’d say the more major minutes he gets, the more his body will adjust. You don’t think playing 25-30 minutes of a game isn’t an adjustment for him?

[quote="Hofeman612, post:3, topic:731"]He has some decent back to the basket moves and rebounds well. I think as his conditioning continues to improve with his increased playing time I think he can average 8-9 pts a game and maybe 5-6 boards.[/quote]

I think you can run all you want in practice and outside of games, there isn’t anything that compares to getting your lungs used to 30 minutes of PT. He was getting less than 15 minutes per game mostly up until about 5 games ago. I’d say the more major minutes he gets, the more his body will adjust. You don’t think playing 25-30 minutes of a game isn’t an adjustment for him?

Why doesn’t Ed just have them play 5 on 5 for 40 minutes in pre-season practice? If you’re asking if one gets into better shape during game play, I’d say definitely, no. I think Martina Navratilova(sp) said it best when asked the difference between her and the other girls on the tennis tour, when she answered, “most players play themselves in shape during the tournament. I get myself into shape before the tournament.”

Guess who was winning all the tournaments?

If PSU is doing as you suggest, it’s no wonder we’re losing down the stretch, as other teams are in shape prior to the game, not getting in shape during one. That’d do it. So, it’s not “another choke down the stretch”. It’s an “another exhaustion down the stretch.” Hmmmm…maybe that’s it. But I think it has to do with a short bench, which has a similar effect.

Talor doesn’t play himself into shape during games, or practice, but during the summer, when committed athletes should. Some other guys, too, like Babb, Frazier. Not many players in the country can do what Battle’s been doing minutewise in big games like yesterday, covered like he was by Hughes, then Taylor, and some of those late lane shots.