PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What would it take?

Some of the posters on this board (and a lot of the neophytes on the other boards) seem to think that all PSU has to do is pay a ton of money and hire a big time basketball coach and the big time recruits will flock to Happy Valley and PSU basketball will compete for the Big Ten title every year. Without commenting on the veracity of this belief, I’d like to ask for opinions on who would be a big enough name to cause recruits to follow him instead of heading to Florida, Georgetown, UCONN, Villanova, Pitt, Kansas or UCLA?

Here are my picks:

1. Coach K.

2. Tom Izzo

3. Bill Self

4. Roy Williams

5. Jay Wright

6. Jamie Dixon

I don’t think we’d ever hire anybody like Calipari because probation is just a couple years away whenever you hire him.

I think it is highly unlikely that any of these guys would ever leave the situations they’re in – but for a big payday they might. Basketball is different than football - you only have to bring in one or two big time players to turn a program around. Maybe one of these guys could bring in a 5 star that they have been recruiting for several years. So maybe a Dixon or Wright could pull something off like that.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:1943”]Some of the posters on this board (and a lot of the neophytes on the other boards) seem to think that all PSU has to do is pay a ton of money and hire a big time basketball coach and the big time recruits will flock to Happy Valley and PSU basketball will compete for the Big Ten title every year. Without commenting on the veracity of this belief, I’d like to ask for opinions on who would be a big enough name to cause recruits to follow him instead of heading to Florida, Georgetown, UCONN, Villanova, Pitt, Kansas or UCLA?

Here are my picks:

1. Coach K.

2. Tom Izzo

3. Bill Self

4. Roy Williams

5. Jay Wright

6. Jamie Dixon

I don’t think we’d ever hire anybody like Calipari because probation is just a couple years away whenever you hire him.

I think it is highly unlikely that any of these guys would ever leave the situations they’re in – but for a big payday they might. Basketball is different than football - you only have to bring in one or two big time players to turn a program around. Maybe one of these guys could bring in a 5 star that they have been recruiting for several years. So maybe a Dixon or Wright could pull something off like that.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?[/quote]

What? No John Wooden? Why not bring him back from the grave? There’s about as much chance of that happening as getting any of the other guys on your list.

I agree with Lar on this one. None of those guys would be lured to PSU by money. If they want to chase $'s then they’d go to the NBA.

End of discussion for me. Except for this: Bring in Geno! :smiley:

[quote=“UncleLar, post:2, topic:1943”][/quote]

What? No John Wooden? Why not bring him back from the grave? There’s about as much chance of that happening as getting any of the other guys on your list.
[/quote]

Lar - so, by induction, I think what you’re saying is no big time/big name coach is coming to PSU.

We all know it isn’t the name. It is the right guy. Every big name guy built himself into a brand. There was much trepidation at Pitt when Dixson took over, but he has been able to maintain the model and brand that developed under Howland. Izzo was just a guy on Jud Heathcote’s bench.

[quote="UncleLar, post:2, topic:1943"][/quote]

Lar - so, by induction, I think what you’re saying is no big time/big name coach is coming to PSU.
[/quote]

That’s some pretty weak induction.

If your definition of big time/big name coaches is those guys, then that’s just what I’m saying. If it goes beyond those guys, then it’s not what I’m saying.

Got any other names?

Nope.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:1943”]Some of the posters on this board (and a lot of the neophytes on the other boards) seem to think that all PSU has to do is pay a ton of money and hire a big time basketball coach and the big time recruits will flock to Happy Valley and PSU basketball will compete for the Big Ten title every year. Without commenting on the veracity of this belief, I’d like to ask for opinions on who would be a big enough name to cause recruits to follow him instead of heading to Florida, Georgetown, UCONN, Villanova, Pitt, Kansas or UCLA?

Here are my picks:

1. Coach K.

2. Tom Izzo

3. Bill Self

4. Roy Williams

5. Jay Wright

6. Jamie Dixon

Anyway, what are your thoughts?[/quote]A proven recruiter with no ties at all to PSU Basketball

Here are my picks:

1. Coach K.

2. Tom Izzo

3. Bill Self

4. Roy Williams

5. Jay Wright

6. Jamie Dixon

Part of the problem is the schools you have us competing against. We will NOT be taking kids away from perenial powers such as Kansas. Forget it.

You also have BIG EAST schools listed, but no BIG TEN schools. PArt of taht problem is that we play in the BIG TEN. I think kids are either going to a BIG TEN school for it’s grinding style of play, or to the BIG EAST for it’s flashy style of play.

Here are my picks:

1. Coach K.

2. Tom Izzo

3. Bill Self

4. Roy Williams

5. Jay Wright

6. Jamie Dixon

IMO, the hire has to be someone who has confidence in a system of play who can make winners out of average teams. Don’t need the big hire. You need an AD, and maybe a basketball committee to pick a coach who’s had great success at lower levels. Jay Wright came from Hofstra, Bo Ryan from a DII or DIII school. There was a coach at Winthrop who made the tourney 3 times in a row who was hired away; Pitino came from Providence pre Big East, Digger Phelps from Fordham, Beilein started somewhere small(I saw them playing the other day, can’t remember). How about Larranaga? Tourney success, currently on 12 game winning streak, winning the last 8 by 14 pts. or more. He took a team to the final 4. His only blemish? Giving up “the shot”. So, he actually has a connection to PSU. :wink: He’d take the job in a minute. Big step up for him, but he showed he can do it. IMO, going for a big name shows lack of confidence in the ability to judge coaching talent, and there’s risk, e.g., Billy Tubbs, Sampson, Eddie Sutton’s kid, Tim Floyd, Huggins, Calipari, etc. Who needs that? IMO, Larranaga’s better than some guys on your list. I’m no Roy Williams fan. I’ve seen him panic late in games more than once.

I hate to keep this thread going… but my first choice Randy Ayers. He was NCAA coach of the year at tOSU and head and asst coach for the Sixers. He’s got B1G, Philly, DC and NBA ties.

First off, I like ED and I hope he is our coach. Don’t want participation in this thread to be seen as anything else.

I thought watching recent football openings was instructive. Basically, the top guys don’t sniff around anything but traditional powers, and even they (like Notre Dame) can get interest from anybody they want.

Once you have made it somewhere, there is no good reason to go to a school where you will have to work twice as hard and have a little luck to achieve the same success. If it’s money, your own school will match it or you can wait out a better job that will.

A little reality here.

Since we’re talking about reality…

Reality number 1 is that every guy on that list would come to Penn State for a price.

Reality number 2 is that the price is way too high for Penn State to even consider making a phone call.

I disagree with Reality number 1. Throwing a wad of cash on the table isn’t going to entice any of the coaches on the list because they coach at places “where you can win.” Penn State hasn’t been one of those places. When John Calipari talks about a school where you can win, what he’s implying is that the head coach (a) won’t suffer interference from the Admissions office, (b) won’t have the Compliance Office asking too many questions, and © won’t be told “no” when it comes to resource allocations. I don’t mean to imply that any of the people on the list are as scummy as Calipari, but they all look for a level of institutional commitment that hasn’t been found at Penn State, and it’s not just a question of salaries. These guys have egos to match their wallets and they won’t go some place where failure is a strong possibility. Name a Penn State MBB coach in the past half century who has “succeeded.”

[quote="mjg, post:15, topic:1943"]Reality number 1 is that every guy on that list would come to Penn State for a price.[/quote]

I disagree with Reality number 1. Throwing a wad of cash on the table isn’t going to entice any of the coaches on the list because they coach at places “where you can win.” Penn State hasn’t been one of those places. When John Calipari talks about a school where you can win, what he’s implying is that the head coach (a) won’t suffer interference from the Admission office, (b) won’t have the Compliance Office asking too many questions, and © won’t be told “no” when it comes to resource allocations. I don’t mean to imply that any of the people on the list are as scummy as Calipari, but they all look for a level of institutional commitment that hasn’t been found at Penn State, and it’s not just a question of salaries. These guys have egos to match their wallets and they won’t go some place where failure is a strong possibility. Name a Penn State MBB coach in the past half century who has “succeeded.”

Really? You don’t think $100 million per year would be enough? Maybe a billion? For the right paycheck, they won’t care if they win or not. My point in reality #2 was that the number would be so astronomical that it’s not worth discussing.

[quote="mjg, post:15, topic:1943"]Reality number 1 is that every guy on that list would come to Penn State for a price.[/quote]

I disagree with Reality number 1. Throwing a wad of cash on the table isn’t going to entice any of the coaches on the list because they coach at places “where you can win.” Penn State hasn’t been one of those places. When John Calipari talks about a school where you can win, what he’s implying is that the head coach (a) won’t suffer interference from the Admission office, (b) won’t have the Compliance Office asking too many questions, and © won’t be told “no” when it comes to resource allocations. I don’t mean to imply that any of the people on the list are as scummy as Calipari, but they all look for a level of institutional commitment that hasn’t been found at Penn State, and it’s not just a question of salaries. These guys have egos to match their wallets and they won’t go some place where failure is a strong possibility. Name a Penn State MBB coach in the past half century who has “succeeded.”

Really? You don’t think $100 million per year would be enough? Maybe a billion? For the right paycheck, they won’t care if they win or not. My point in reality #2 was that the number would be so astronomical that it’s not worth discussing.

I know that I misunderstood you to mean the oft-repeated claim that Penn State won’t pay even the going rate. I guess a billion might interest some of these guys.

I once worked at a place where the top guy was, in my opinion, insane. As a result, there was constant management turmoil. During one power vacuum, my boss said he was going to shoot for the top and he told me he planned to take me with him. I told him I did not want to go. He was shocked and asked me what my price was. I thought for a minute and said, “Five million dollars.” He didn’t believe that either, but I convinced him that was the number. I was young, I shoulda come up with a bigger number.

I don’t think we are going to get a big name coach to come here for basketball. Ed sounds like a nice guy, but I don’t think our players develop enough. We need a coach that will develop players, since I don’t think that the recruiting will get that much better with a new coach. There is plenty of talent near by, we just have to get it and develop it.

If it turns out Ed can do that then I don’t mind him staying. Looks like he’ll stay after this season anyways.

[quote=“mjg, post:15, topic:1943”]Since we’re talking about reality…

Reality number 1 is that every guy on that list would come to Penn State for a price.

Reality number 2 is that the price is way too high for Penn State to even consider making a phone call.[/quote]

Both of your “realities” are more like “opinions”, and both are something I would disagree with.