What is wrong with Dave Jones?

Has anyone else read this piece of trash just released by the The Patriot-News?

What a disgusting piece of journalism! >:(

DeChellis should kick him out of the locker room for writing this crap!

Why is it trashy?

I honestly didn’t have any big issues with the article until this line…
“If Penn State’s administration still is happy making $4 million or so profit on hoops mostly from the Big Ten TV contracts and calling it a day, well, it’ll be clear soon enough that they don’t care.”

Is David trying to imply that not firing DeChellis after this season shows that they don’t care? If his “soon enough” meant after next season, then I could agree with him. However I don’t see how giving the reigning Big Ten confenence Coach of the Year one more year to see what he can do can suddenly imply that Curley doesn’t care. It’s the type of argument that I’d expect to see on BWI, not out of David Jones.

Because it is like too many replies made by people on here. A knee-jerk reaction to a few games lost. Whats more is the gutlessness he exhibits in saying that he won’t actually call for DeChellis’ departure, just criticizes the university of they don’t make a change, and then criticizes the fans for not caring.

I, for one, am NOT one of those fans to be blamed for not caring. This is still a good basketball team. They need the fans support now more than ever and articles like this only do harm to further erode their perception that people have lost faith with them.

Shame on you David Jones! :-[

[quote=“Captain Cranky, post:1, topic:715”]Has anyone else read this piece of trash just released by the The Patriot-News?

What a disgusting piece of journalism! >:(

DeChellis should kick him out of the locker room for writing this crap![/quote]

Great article by Jones. Echoes almost exactly what myself, and many others, have been saying on this board. I applaud DJones for having the courage to write the article. While this is a great board, the blue-and-white goggles on this board are to the extreme. This is a sinking ship, and DJones accurately pointed that.

Sometimes the truth is not pleasant.

[quote="PSUuncBBALL1, post:2, topic:715"]Why is it trashy?[/quote] Because it is like too many replies made by people on here. A knee-jerk reaction to a few games lost. Whats more is the gutlessness he exhibits in saying that he won't actually call for DeChellis' departure, just criticizes the university of they don't make a change, and then criticizes the fans for not caring.

I, for one, am NOT one of those fans to be blamed for not caring. This is still a good basketball team. They need the fans support now more than ever and articles like this only do harm to further erode their perception that people have lost faith with them.

I certainly see what you are saying…but to play devil’s advocate: Do you really think this is a knee jerk reaction? Or do you think it has a lot more to do with the complete body of work? He certainly implies that his statement is based on the entire body of work. I’m not sure that one can rationalize 1 NIT championship in year 6 followed by what we are witnessing as knee jerk. Again, Im not trying to side with either party…but Im not sure attacking Jones’ logic is very…well…logical. :-[

I guess the point Im trying to make is: One cannot, in good sense, criticize Dave for basing his opinion on this one season and turn around to claim the opposite based on last year’s one season. Its a fine line I suppose.

The problem I have with the article is that it’s unethical. He states he never understands sportswriters calling for a coach to be fired, then he calls for a coach to be fired, but only if the school wants to earn money and get fans. Galling, Dave. You want him fired, say it, don’t beat around the bush.

Thanks. I seemed to be unable to put into words what you did.

I do think there can be a difference in wanting someone fired and thinking someone should be fired.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:7, topic:715"]The problem I have with the article is that it's unethical. He states he never understands sportswriters calling for a coach to be fired, then he calls for a coach to be fired, but only if the school wants to earn money and get fans. Galling, Dave. You want him fired, say it, don't beat around the bush.[/quote]

I do think there can be a difference in wanting someone fired and thinking someone should be fired.

Well, jonesy’s way is more diplomatic, more suggestive than demanding, but he only mentions the first guy to make himself look like a better person by comparison. Leave the first guy out, and say what you mean.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:7, topic:715"]The problem I have with the article is that it's unethical. He states he never understands sportswriters calling for a coach to be fired, then he calls for a coach to be fired, but only if the school wants to earn money and get fans. Galling, Dave. You want him fired, say it, don't beat around the bush.[/quote]

Well, jonesy’s way is more diplomatic, more suggestive than demanding, but he only mentions the first guy to make himself look like a better person by comparison. Leave the first guy out, and say what you mean.

Agreed. At least have the ****s to come out and say what you want and what you mean.

Unethical? I hardly think so. Perhaps unprincipled (according to Dave’s personal principles). This was an area I stuggled with in the business world. I often felt that things were unethical when they were only against my principles. When I faced several business type unethical as in dishonerable and criminal issues there was quite a difference.

"This situation isn’t improving with the addition of a single guard recruit, Battle’s half-brother Taran Buie, next season."
I’m sure Taran is a nice player, but if adding him to SC can’t make them beat Hollidaysburg, I don’t think adding him to PSU will make them beat Purdue.

[quote=“Captain Cranky, post:4, topic:715”]Because it is like too many replies made by people on here. A knee-jerk reaction to a few games lost. Whats more is the gutlessness he exhibits in saying that he won’t actually call for DeChellis’ departure, just criticizes the university of they don’t make a change, and then criticizes the fans for not caring.

Shame on you David Jones! :-[[/quote]
More than a few.

I don’t see the proof for the “good” basketball team description. This team has 1 decent win and 4 bad or very bad losses, they are below .500 and show no signs of improvement. They also won a bunch of unimpressive games in the OOC.

Because it is like too many replies made by people on here. A knee-jerk reaction to a [b]few [/b]games lost. Whats more is the gutlessness he exhibits in saying that he won't actually call for DeChellis' departure, just criticizes the university of they don't make a change, and then criticizes the fans for not caring.

More than a few.

I don’t see the proof for the “good” basketball team description. This team has 1 decent win and 4 bad or very bad losses, they are below .500 and show no signs of improvement. They also won a bunch of unimpressive games in the OOC.

It’s good to “care.” But to think this team is a “good” basketball team is delusional.

blind faith

• 1 dictionary result
    Main Entry: blind faith
    Part of Speech: n
    Definition: belief without true understanding, perception, or discrimination

[quote="kidcoyote, post:7, topic:715"]The problem I have with the article is that it's unethical. He states he never understands sportswriters calling for a coach to be fired, then he calls for a coach to be fired, but only if the school wants to earn money and get fans. Galling, Dave. You want him fired, say it, don't beat around the bush.[/quote] Unethical? I hardly think so. Perhaps unprincipled (according to Dave's personal principles). This was an area I stuggled with in the business world. I often felt that things were unethical when they were only against my principles. When I faced several business type unethical as in dishonerable and criminal issues there was quite a difference.

You’re right, too harsh a word. My bad.

I’m concerned about this… why now? I think an atricle like this HAS to sour the relationship Dave has with ED. Dave’s been both our biggest critic and advocate, but I think an article like this could have a long-term detrimental effect on Dave’s ability to cover the team. He could have easily talked about the barbarians at the gate (or in this case, the keyboard :wink: ) without calling him out so personally. If I was ED, you bet that’s the last time he’d be in MY locker-room.

… and that’s a shame, because no-one’s been better for our public exposure than Dave. He’s been there at times when there’s been no-one else looking at us.

SO this begs the question, is there something Dave knows that we don’t?? Is Dave leaving the Patriot soon so he doesn’t care about the long term effects of this atricle? Does he have inside info on ED’s future that allows hime to be so forward? What’s up??? I guess we’ll see soon enough about Ed AND Dave’s futures…

[quote=“MarkH, post:18, topic:715”]I’m concerned about this… why now? I think an atricle like this HAS to sour the relationship Dave has with ED. Dave’s been both our biggest critic and advocate, but I think an article like this could have a long-term detrimental effect on Dave’s ability to cover the team. He could have easily talked about the barbarians at the gate (or in this case, the keyboard :wink: ) without calling him out so personally. If I was ED, you bet that’s the last time he’d be in MY locker-room.

… and that’s a shame, because no-one’s been better for our public exposure than Dave. He’s been there at times when there’s been no-one else looking at us.

SO this begs the question, is there something Dave knows that we don’t?? Is Dave leaving the Patriot soon so he doesn’t care about the long term effects of this atricle? Does he have inside info on ED’s future that allows hime to be so forward? What’s up??? I guess we’ll see soon enough about Ed AND Dave’s futures… [/quote]
Agree that the article may/will sour the relationship with coaches. BUT, banning him from the locker room?? Is this not America?? Besides The Patroit was probaly given the hoop team it’s best/most newspaper coverage down through the years.
I think many people on this board (the apologists) do not represent reality away from this message board.

I'm concerned about this... why now? I think an atricle like this HAS to sour the relationship Dave has with ED. Dave's been both our biggest critic and advocate, but I think an article like this could have a long-term detrimental effect on Dave's ability to cover the team. He could have easily talked about the barbarians at the gate (or in this case, the keyboard ;) ) without calling him out so personally. If I was ED, you bet that's the last time he'd be in MY locker-room.

SO this begs the question, is there something Dave knows that we don’t?? Is Dave leaving the Patriot soon so he doesn’t care about the long term effects of this atricle? Does he have inside info on ED’s future that allows hime to be so forward? What’s up??? I guess we’ll see soon enough about Ed AND Dave’s futures…

Agree that the article may/will sour the relationship with coaches. BUT, banning him from the locker room?? Is this not America?? Besides The Patroit was probaly given the hoop team it’s best/most newspaper coverage down through the years.
I think many people on this board (the apologists) do not represent reality away from this message board.

Tundra, look at some of the BS that Calhoun pulls up in Stoors… You look at him crosseyed, you’re done getting within a paid ticket of anything hoops related in U-con (pun intended).

I don’t think ED will go to that extreme, but I doubt ED will be very forthcoming to Dave anytime soon, and that’s a shame for all of us.