What is there to root for in PSU basketball this year?

I posted this after the OOC schedule and I was criticized harshly. I wasn’t trying to be too negative, but the best outcome I could expect was 6-12 in conference, 14-16 overall, and no chance at post season play.

I said that we could root for the young players like Borovnjak, Frazier, and Edwards to improve. Unfortunately that hasn’t happened so far. I hope that these kids can turn things around because we only have one new player coming next year (Buie). I’ll probably get criticized again, but here’s where I think we stand with this team:

If Borovnjak wasn’t ready he should have been redshirted. He’s wasting a year of eligibility. We’ve got to get him 5-6 minutes per game.

Frazier looks to be an awesome athlete and he might turn out to be good. Problem is that he isn’t offensive minded. That might be OK on some teams, but PSU desperately needs another scorer to take the pressure off of Battle.

PSU has not recruited any good forwards in the past few years. Edwards seems to have the size and athleticism but he plays with no discipline. Bad passes and poor shot selection. I’d get him a lot of minutes in spite of his poor decision making because he’s our best chance for the future. That’s not easy to say but who else do we have?

I have enjoyed watching the effort Ott has put forth. 13 points and 7 rebounds tonight. Player of the game for PSU tonight IMO. Maybe player of the season.

Jones & Brooks have been the biggest disappointments. They’ve been in the program for 3+ years. I don’t hold out much hope for next year if they haven’t improved by now.

PSU is 1-2 players away from being a good basketball team. We need a power forward who can rebound, defend the paint, and take his man off the dribble. We also need someone who can knock down the 3 point shot. Unless Edwards improves, neither of those players are on the team at this point.

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:707”]I posted this after the OOC schedule and I was criticized harshly. I wasn’t trying to be too negative, but the best outcome I could expect was 6-12 in conference, 14-16 overall, and no chance at post season play.

I said that we could root for the young players like Borovnjak, Frazier, and Edwards to improve. Unfortunately that hasn’t happened so far. I hope that these kids can turn things around because we only have one new player coming next year (Buie). I’ll probably get criticized again, but here’s where I think we stand with this team:

If Borovnjak wasn’t ready he should have been redshirted. He’s wasting a year of eligibility. We’ve got to get him 5-6 minutes per game.

Frazier looks to be an awesome athlete and he might turn out to be good. Problem is that he isn’t offensive minded. That might be OK on some teams, but PSU desperately needs another scorer to take the pressure off of Battle.

PSU has not recruited any good forwards in the past few years. Edwards seems to have the size and athleticism but he plays with no discipline. Bad passes and poor shot selection. I’d get him a lot of minutes in spite of his poor decision making because he’s our best chance for the future. That’s not easy to say but who else do we have?

I have enjoyed watching the effort Ott has put forth. 13 points and 7 rebounds tonight. Player of the game for PSU tonight IMO. Maybe player of the season.

Jones & Brooks have been the biggest disappointments. They’ve been in the program for 3+ years. I don’t hold out much hope for next year if they haven’t improved by now.

PSU is 1-2 players away from being a good basketball team. We need a power forward who can rebound, defend the paint, and take his man off the dribble. We also need someone who can knock down the 3 point shot. Unless Edwards improves, neither of those players are on the team at this point.[/quote]

Really? Ott player of the season? I must have misread the box scores that showed Battle with all those 30+ point games. ::slight_smile:

The question is still stupid.

We are not a powerhouse program, and never have been. Why are you a PSU bball fan to begin with if you can’t find something to root for about the program?

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:707”]The question is still stupid.

We are not a powerhouse program, and never have been. Why are you a PSU bball fan to begin with if you can’t find something to root for about the program? [/quote]

Disagree about the question. Maybe not a powerhouse - but that doesn’t mean we should be an absolutely embarrassing program.

As far as what to root for, I’m hoping for the kids they don’t get up to 0-10 or 0-11, that would start putting a lot of pressure on them.

Simple: the players. I may have given up on the coach but I won’t give up on the players.

Completely agree. They don’t deserve to have the pressure of trying to avoid a winless big ten season.

I still hold out some hope for next season. Not as much as I did at one time (I was expecting us to win a game in the NCAAs), but I still think this team isn’t nearly as far off as the record would appear. More than anything, they need to get some wins under their belt to gain some confidence and learn how to win again. Someone said in another thread that this may be Ed’s worst team and I couldn’t disagree more. This team isn’t getting blown out night in and night out, they are playing close games and then not making the plays they need down the stretch. They have periods where they look solid, but they just don’t stay focused at either end of the court for 40 minutes, which is something we need to do to win. Things I want to see are:

Brooks to continue to work on his post up game and rebounding. He’s got the size and athleticism to be an option at the offense end or score off the glass, but he needs to really put forth the effort to do it.

Frazier/Edwards to continue to get minutes and play through their funks. Both of them have ability, but they are both playing too fast and making mental mistakes.

Defensively, we need to develop another option other than Man-Man. Even when we had terrible teams, we’d throw some 1-3-1 or 2-3 at other squads. I think we’re becoming too predictable and teams are able to settle in against us. Even if we’re not using zone as a base defense, I think it’s a key to take other teams out of their rythm.

Jones/Ott continue to attack the glass and play smart at the defensive end. We don’t need to run the offense through these guys, but we need them to be there to follow up misses (which Ott did tonight) and take feed from our penetrating guards when the defense collapses.

Talor to continue to play within himself and trust his teammates (even if they aren’t producing). If we’re going anywhere next season, he can’t do it alone. The sooner that others step up, the better.

This team isn’t going 0-18 in the Big Ten. We’re not making shots right now and are not able to figure out how to play with a lead and close out a game. That will come as they continue to get more experience, it’s jsut not coming quickly enough for any of us.

Disagree about the question. Maybe not a powerhouse - but that doesn't mean we should be an absolutely embarrassing program.

I’m not embarrassed of the program. I think anyone that was should probably just walk away from following it now.

Expectations were way too high this year and now everybody is acting like the sky is falling because of that.

We surely shouldn’t have the record we do, but it’s not like we’ve laid down and died out there - a lot of it has been mental mistakes this year from coaches and players alike. It’s upsetting, but what in the world does PSU basketball have to be embarrassed about? We were picked to finish in the bottom 3 by most experts that didn’t ride the hype train from last season - so if we finish in the bottom 3, how is that embarrassing? Especially for a program that’s lived there most of their existence…

I just don’t get how you guys are even fans of this program to begin with… Some of you are just extremists about everything good and bad.

Why didn’t Ott play more than the 25~ minutes he did play? He only had one foul.

Considering we have no seniors on the team, it would be just as worthless to put in youth and let the upperclassmen sit on the bench. If you think Edwards, Sasa, and Frazier all could improve with more PT, couldn’t Brooks, Ott, Jones, Babb, Battle, Jackson and Woodyard improve for next year. Even if it isn’t individual improvement, playing together and improving as a team is sometimes more important.

Really? Ott player of the season? I must have misread the box scores that showed Battle with all those 30+ point games. ::slight_smile:
[/quote]

Player of the season relative to expectations.

An interesting point - I think Ed’s tactics in playing the younger guys was supposed to act as a catalyst for the Juniors to get it together. It seems to have had the complete opposite effect though, as they’ve curled up in a ball as a response.

I’m not embarrassed of the program. I think anyone that was should probably just walk away from following it now.

Expectations were way too high this year and now everybody is acting like the sky is falling because of that.

We surely shouldn’t have the record we do, but it’s not like we’ve laid down and died out there - a lot of it has been mental mistakes this year from coaches and players alike. It’s upsetting, but what in the world does PSU basketball have to be embarrassed about? We were picked to finish in the bottom 3 by most experts that didn’t ride the hype train from last season - so if we finish in the bottom 3, how is that embarrassing? Especially for a program that’s lived there most of their existence…

I just don’t get how you guys are even fans of this program to begin with… Some of you are just extremists about everything good and bad.[/quote]

2-16 or 1-17 in the 7th year of your coach’s tenure is extremely embarrassing in the college basketball world. You may not think so, but the heat is going to start coming soon from all corners. All of us care about the program and school, and its probably why so many people think a change should be made.

I am the opposite of an extremist, I predicted a possible top-end finish of 6-12. Now that seems highly unlikely. Yes, I called out that expectations were too high, but you can’t be watching this team and think ED should stay.

[quote="ryerye0803, post:10, topic:707"]Considering we have no seniors on the team, it would be just as worthless to put in youth and let the upperclassmen sit on the bench. If you think Edwards, Sasa, and Frazier all could improve with more PT, couldn't Brooks, Ott, Jones, Babb, Battle, Jackson and Woodyard improve for next year. Even if it isn't individual improvement, playing together and improving as a team is sometimes more important.[/quote]

An interesting point - I think Ed’s tactics in playing the younger guys was supposed to act as a catalyst for the Juniors to get it together. It seems to have had the complete opposite effect though, as they’ve curled up in a ball as a response.

Craftsy - great point. I thought it would be a good change, but unfortunately, you nailed it - its had the effect of putting those guys even further in the doldrums.

I assume that Borovnjak would be playing if Ed thought he was as good as the guys he’s got out there. I just wish he would have taken a redshirt if he wasn’t going to see any B10 action.

I’m not optimistic about Jones & Brooks. They’ve been around for a while now and they haven’t shown much improvement.

Let’s hope that Buie can shoot the basketball. That would solve one problem.

I’m of the camp that you don’t redshirt a Euro. He’s already 20 years old, and I’d be shocked if he stayed around for year 5 if he was good enough to catch on somewhere overseas and make some $ (he’d be 24 in his redshirt senior year).

Also another reason to root for in PSU basketball is the Women’s team. They won again tonight 54-43 over Wisconsin and are now 14-4 and 6-2.

If anyone caught the speech shown in today’s courtside with Coquese earlier, she’s a coach who can motivate.

I still believe that this team can, and will win some games this season. Assuming they will lose to the following teams, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Michigan State, that still leaves five winnable games; Northwestern at home and away, Michigan away, Minnesota at home and Illinois at home. I believe this team will beat Illinois again at home and win one or two more games. With the amount of bad luck this team has experienced, it will turn around sooner than later.

Some of you should be embarrassed at your Benedict Arnold impersonations, turning your back on DeChellis and the team so quickly after last season. >:(

Bunch of bandwagon fans who don’t seem able to withstand some hardship in exchange for brighter future ahead. DeChellis is still my team’s head coach until someone announces otherwise. I won’t abandon him, or this team when they need us the most.

I still believe. :slight_smile:

Player of the season relative to expectations.

[/quote]

::slight_smile:

[quote=“Captain Cranky, post:18, topic:707”]I still believe that this team can, and will win some games this season. Assuming they will lose to the following teams, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Michigan State, that still leaves five winnable games; Northwestern at home and away, Michigan away, Minnesota at home and Illinois at home. I believe this team will beat Illinois again at home and win one or two more games. With the amount of bad luck this team has experienced, it will turn around sooner than later.

Some of you should be embarrassed at your Benedict Arnold impersonations, turning your back on DeChellis and the team so quickly after last season. >:(

Bunch of bandwagon fans who don’t seem able to withstand some hardship in exchange for brighter future ahead. DeChellis is still my team’s head coach until someone announces otherwise. I won’t abandon him, or this team when they need us the most.

I still believe. :)[/quote]

Benedict Arnold my butt. I got ripped for saying I was still on the fence with Ed after last season. I was never fully with Ed to turn my back on him in the first place.