What is there to root for in PSU basketball this year?

They won’t make the NCAAs. They are a long shot to make the NIT. Battle can be fun to watch but what else? Brooks is the Morelli of PSU basketball. Jackson understands the game but he doesn’t have B10 talent. Jones is OK but he’s a senior. Babb doesn’t bring much to the table. So what do we root for?

1. Development of Tim Frazier - needs to become more offensive minded.
  2. Development of Edwards - plays like a freshman, but he’s the only big player with potential to take his man off the dribble.

That’s about it IMO. Borovnjak isn’t ready. He might become a solid two year starter but he’s not athletic enough to become an impact player IMO (hope I’m wrong).

Jones is a junior. Root for this team to get better, gel together, because next year is our year.

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:564”]They won’t make the NCAAs. They are a long shot to make the NIT. Battle can be fun to watch but what else? Brooks is the Morelli of PSU basketball. Jackson understands the game but he doesn’t have B10 talent. Jones is OK but he’s a senior. Babb doesn’t bring much to the table. So what do we root for?

2. Development of Edwards - plays like a freshman, but he’s the only big player with potential to take his man off the dribble.

That’s about it IMO. Borovnjak isn’t ready. He might become a solid two year starter but he’s not athletic enough to become an impact player IMO (hope I’m wrong).[/quote]
If you don’t think there is anything here worth rooting for, then give up, throw in the towel and stop.

[quote="bdroc, post:1, topic:564"]They won't make the NCAAs. They are a long shot to make the NIT. Battle can be fun to watch but what else? Brooks is the Morelli of PSU basketball. Jackson understands the game but he doesn't have B10 talent. Jones is OK but he's a senior. Babb doesn't bring much to the table. So what do we root for?

That’s about it IMO. Borovnjak isn’t ready. He might become a solid two year starter but he’s not athletic enough to become an impact player IMO (hope I’m wrong).[/quote]
If you don’t think there is anything here worth rooting for, then give up, throw in the towel and stop.

Not throwing in the towel. Do you really think that this is an NCAA team? We have two promising freshmen IMO. It should be fun to watch them develop. But don’t expect Brooks to replace Cornley or for Babb to replace Pringle. Its not going to happen.

It’s called PRIDE, and School Spirit

Time for the bastard stepchild board of misery, I see.

This thread gets my vote for the Debbie Downer thread of the year. There are many things to be excited about this year. We have a lot of young talent that will be much improved by the end of the season. We might not make the NIT, but we’ll have an exciting team.

Gotta be one of the dumbest posts of the year.

I say that the development of Edwards & Frazier is the biggest thing to root for this year. You guys say that’s negative. Do you really think that PSU can make the tournament this season?

I might not have chosen my words very carefully but I definitely don’t see this team going far in the B10 this season. Seems like that puts me in the minority.

Sensible fans knew this team would take some steps backwards this year - tournament hopes were for the nutjobs like yourself, who are suddenly disappointed when everything most of us were hoping for is starting to come true.

That being: a bunch of young, talented guys learning to play together.

I might not have chosen my words very carefully

The rest certainly was not well said but boy you nailed it with those words!

Yeah guys really. What do we have to root for?

-PSU has lost 4 OOC games, one to a very good team, and one to a good team
-All 4 losses were close games that PSU could have/should have won
-PSU just took one of the top ranked RPI teams in the country to the wire on their home court
-PSU has one of the most dynamic players in the country on their team
-PSU has two impact freshmen to watch develop

Yeah, I couldnt possibly see what is here to root for. This thread gets my vote for dumba#$ of the year award.

-This team, so far, reminds me alot of the 2000 team. The season before the Sweet 16 run, they lost a bunch of games that weredown to the wire. They just couldnt seem to get over that hump and win the close ones. Here’s to hoping these close ones start to fall…

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:564”]They won’t make the NCAAs. They are a long shot to make the NIT. Battle can be fun to watch but what else? Brooks is the Morelli of PSU basketball. Jackson understands the game but he doesn’t have B10 talent. Jones is OK but he’s a senior. Babb doesn’t bring much to the table. So what do we root for?

I’d like to advise you to delete this thread. You made a mistake, admit it, delete it and move on. Almost makes me want to ask Tim to bring back karma. You would have been buried due to this thread.

(Tim, joking on the karma return) :wink:

That’s because he’s only been in school for 1 semester, so he is a freshman. Plus he missed the first 4 games. He’s a hustler though and had some nice putbacks.

I know we this team isn’t a tourney team or anything, but it’s not like we went out there tonight and played a stinker or anything. We have some young talent like you said in Edwards and Frazier, but it’s not like we have the senior leadership that needs to parallel that young raw ability in these guys. This is a season for growth and gaining some much needed experience for a what is hopefully a serious tourney and, maybe a little ahead of myself here but here goes, Big Ten title run next season. Don’t get so down over a hard fought loss on the road.

How many teams are going to beat Minny in Minny this year? I bet not many.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of moral victories, but I certainly wasn’t disappointed with the effort / results tonight. Okay, I was disappointed we didn’t win, but … you know what I mean. Given what Craftsy said, I’m not too upset with a 5 point loss at Minny because it was a close game we could have won with a few bounces.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:10, topic:564”]Sensible fans knew this team would take some steps backwards this year - tournament hopes were for the nutjobs like yourself, who are suddenly disappointed when everything most of us were hoping for is starting to come true.

That being: a bunch of young, talented guys learning to play together.[/quote]

Exactly where is the optimism cut-off point that makes us “nutjobs”? We need a proper definition so we can become “pc”.

I’m watching to see the development of the young guys and while it’s tough seeing PSU lose a close game at Minny, the team is competitive, young, a bit raw, but also some great young talent that needs to continue to work. Someone mentioned next year being the year and yes, I really agree that next years squad is going to be a really good team.

I want to see improvement from the following players:
Jeff Brooks
Andrew Jones
Bill Edwards

-I’m expecting alot of 3-guard Battle-Frazier-Buie line-ups next year. These are the frontcourt guys who can push us over the top next year. Don’t need to be spetacular, just competent and consistent.
-I really wanted to see some improvement from Chris Babb, but he seems a step slow on defense and his shot never seems to fall in big games. Last night showed he doesn’t have a very good handle against the press, so I’m starting to wander if he can ever be the answer at SG.
-I really like Edwards, but like I said before I think he thinks he’s a better shooter than he actually is.
-Other than the missed dunk, I liked the way Jones played last night, he wasn’t quick-shooting his shots around the rim, much improved from the start of the year.

Way OT: PSU Women's VB: The Year of the Streak (and Not Looking Back)