PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What is Ed gives up on PSU before PSU gives up on Ed?

My whole family is in Centre County and we’ve been going to PSU hoops games for decades. We heard an interesting new rumor, repeatedly, in the last month. Bear in mind this is just a rumor, but it has a ring of truth to it. There is talk the Ed is so frustrated with how difficult it is to recruit at PSU he is ready to walk away from the job. I’ve always worried about this. We have no brand and most of the kids we get have major flaws. It seems to be so consuming and we almost always get the 3rd, 4th, 5th or worse choice.

If Ed is not the guy, and I’ve come to think he isn’t, who is?
What kind of coach do we think can be successful at PSU and what does he need to make it happen?
What is the master plan?

Bobby Knight and a folding chair.

I’ll take “What the Hell?” for $500, Alex.

I will say there is a 0% chance Ed walks away from this job out of recruiting frustration. There could be a “resignation” at the end of the season, but it would be because he is nudged out the door.

He gets paid $$$$ to lose. Who would walk away from that? :smiley:

[quote=“psuvtwoodguy, post:1, topic:1695”]My whole family is in Centre County and we’ve been going to PSU hoops games for decades. We heard an interesting new rumor, repeatedly, in the last month. Bear in mind this is just a rumor, but it has a ring of truth to it. There is talk the Ed is so frustrated with how difficult it is to recruit at PSU he is ready to walk away from the job. I’ve always worried about this. We have no brand and most of the kids we get have major flaws. It seems to be so consuming and we almost always get the 3rd, 4th, 5th or worse choice.

What kind of coach do we think can be successful at PSU and what does he need to make it happen?
What is the master plan? [/quote]

Seeing how he already has next years class lined up, I don’t know why he would walk away now.

It’s not like he has the type of resume where he can land a gig at another school where it would be easier to recruit.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all.
Parkhill did it why not ED.

Different circumstances, conditions, and reasons.

[quote=“psuvtwoodguy, post:1, topic:1695”]My whole family is in Centre County and we’ve been going to PSU hoops games for decades. We heard an interesting new rumor, repeatedly, in the last month. Bear in mind this is just a rumor, but it has a ring of truth to it. There is talk the Ed is so frustrated with how difficult it is to recruit at PSU he is ready to walk away from the job. I’ve always worried about this. We have no brand and most of the kids we get have major flaws. It seems to be so consuming and we almost always get the 3rd, 4th, 5th or worse choice.

Yup. I hear Tony Dungy has already bought ED’s house. ::slight_smile:

[quote="psuvtwoodguy, post:1, topic:1695"]My whole family is in Centre County and we've been going to PSU hoops games for decades. We heard an interesting new rumor, repeatedly, in the last month. Bear in mind this is just a rumor, but it has a ring of truth to it. There is talk the Ed is so frustrated with how difficult it is to recruit at PSU he is ready to walk away from the job. I've always worried about this. We have no brand and most of the kids we get have major flaws. It seems to be so consuming and we almost always get the 3rd, 4th, 5th or worse choice.

What is the master plan?[/quote]

Yup. I hear Tony Dungy has already bought ED’s house. ::slight_smile:

I thought it was Doc Rivers, isn’t that why he was at the game? To see how the troops look next year. And I heard his son was de-committing from Duke and coming to PSU.

It’s a hard job, but you think it’s any easier at Wisconsin? Or Minnesota? Bo and Tubby are building what they have. In Bo’s case, he was an x’s and o’s guy. It’s not always the kids, but the system. Look at some of the Big East teams, like St. John’s, Marquette, DePaul, Cincy. Going up against UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, Georgetown, Nova, Louisville. You think that’s easy? Ed’s not going to win a recruiting battle, he has to win with lesser players. Bo’s not getting any 5 stars and he does okay. Wisky’s lack of athleticism always shows at the tourney. It’s what knocks them out vs. the very athletic teams, but they always have fine seasons, which I think is the best he can hope for. It’s going to be interesting to see what McCaffrey does at Iowa, which IMO, is even tougher to recruit for than PSU.

BTW, where in Vermont are you? I’m in Essex Junction. Not exactly the woods.

Huh? Iowa has a recruiting base, many kids that grow up in Iowa dream of playing basketball for Iowa. For Penn State, the only kids that dream of playing for PSU are kids in Centre Country and children of alums. Iowa also has a much better basketball history than we do. Of course it can be done at PSU, but Iowa has a big head start, and I don’t quite understand how you’d see it the other way around.

My whole family is in Centre County and we've been going to PSU hoops games for decades. We heard an interesting new rumor, repeatedly, in the last month. Bear in mind this is just a rumor, but it has a ring of truth to it. There is talk the Ed is so frustrated with how difficult it is to recruit at PSU he is ready to walk away from the job. I've always worried about this. We have no brand and most of the kids we get have major flaws. It seems to be so consuming and we almost always get the 3rd, 4th, 5th or worse choice.

What is the master plan?

It’s a hard job, but you think it’s any easier at Wisconsin? Or Minnesota? Bo and Tubby are building what they have. In Bo’s case, he was an x’s and o’s guy. It’s not always the kids, but the system. Look at some of the Big East teams, like St. John’s, Marquette, DePaul, Cincy. Going up against UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, Georgetown, Nova, Louisville. You think that’s easy? Ed’s not going to win a recruiting battle, he has to win with lesser players. Bo’s not getting any 5 stars and he does okay. Wisky’s lack of athleticism always shows at the tourney. It’s what knocks them out vs. the very athletic teams, but they always have fine seasons, which I think is the best he can hope for. It’s going to be interesting to see what McCaffrey does at Iowa, which IMO, is even tougher to recruit for than PSU.

Bo’s getting his share of four stars along with an occasional five star.

Since Ed arrived in 2003, here’s the total four and five star Big Ten recruits for each school with their five stars in parens.

Ohio State (8) = 15
Michigan State (3) = 15
Indiana (3) = 12
Illinois (0) = 10
Purdue (0) = 9
Wisconsin (2) = 8
Michigan (0) = 7
Minnesota (1) = 5
Iowa (0) = 1
Northwestern (0) = 0
Penn State (0) = 0

That’s the talent level that he’s had to go up against. ED’s biggest fault is his inability to recruit top talent, a trait that every coach at PSU has shared.

[quote="psuvtwoodguy, post:1, topic:1695"]My whole family is in Centre County and we've been going to PSU hoops games for decades. We heard an interesting new rumor, repeatedly, in the last month. Bear in mind this is just a rumor, but it has a ring of truth to it. There is talk the Ed is so frustrated with how difficult it is to recruit at PSU he is ready to walk away from the job. I've always worried about this. We have no brand and most of the kids we get have major flaws. It seems to be so consuming and we almost always get the 3rd, 4th, 5th or worse choice.

Since Ed arrived in 2003, here’s the total four and five star Big Ten recruits for each school with their five stars in parens.

Ohio State (8) = 15
Michigan State (3) = 15
Indiana (3) = 12
Illinois (0) = 10
Purdue (0) = 9
Wisconsin (2) = 8
Michigan (0) = 7
Minnesota (1) = 5
Iowa (0) = 1
Northwestern (0) = 0
Penn State (0) = 0

That’s the talent level that he’s had to go up against. ED’s biggest fault is his inability to recruit top talent, a trait that every coach at PSU has shared.

I thought either Jeff Brooks or Taran Buie were 4-star kids. I guess it depends on which recruiting service you use.

Ohio State (8) = 15
Michigan State (3) = 15
Indiana (3) = 12
Illinois (0) = 10
Purdue (0) = 9
Wisconsin (2) = 8
Michigan (0) = 7
Minnesota (1) = 5
Iowa (0) = 1
Northwestern (0) = 0
Penn State (0) = 0

I thought either Jeff Brooks or Taran Buie were 4-star kids. I guess it depends on which recruiting service you use.

Brooks was on Scout not on Rivals.

Where does ed think he is going to land if he walks away from this? I completely believe that it is very frustrating and close to impossible to recruit here. I don’t really like hearing that our coach has given up on it. If true ed is making excuses for poor performance due to reasons that go beyond recruiting difficulty

Foolish rumor…Who quits that kind of job in today’s economy??
PSU management will not get that lucky.

Ohio State (8) = 15
Michigan State (3) = 15
Indiana (3) = 12
Illinois (0) = 10
Purdue (0) = 9
Wisconsin (2) = 8
Michigan (0) = 7
Minnesota (1) = 5
Iowa (0) = 1
Northwestern (0) = 0
Penn State (0) = 0

Brooks, Battle and Buie were all top 100 espn. Yes, it’s tough, but it’s tough at lots of schools. We’ll never get top 25 kids, 5 stars. So what? There’s 25 five stars and 75 four stars(unless there’s a tie), so it’s unlikely. But then there are the 3 star 101-150 kids. Ed should be getting them from here. In addition, having a knack for developing big men would help. That doesn’t matter where you are. 3 years ago we played Princeton, and Finley on Princeton scored 14 points, all with post moves. He was a skinny kid, and we couldn’t stop him. When was the last time a PSU center scored 14 points? Why just do what every other coach does, i.e., run the motion offense? Bo is unique. He beats teams he shouldn’t beat, like last night. He continually does this, which helps with recruiting. Carmody is unique also. He takes unathletic players and competes. Not sure it’ll happen, but NW is rated to finish higher than us.

Just got that … nicely done! :smiley:

Funny you should mention this game. Wisconsin’s win wasn’t an upset. They were favored by EIGHT points.

In fact, Pomeroy even tweated about the game, wondering why in heaven’s name the AP voters seemed to think that Minnesota was better?

That was before the game. After it, he called ESPN on the carpet for this headline: