PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What I Wanna

What I wanna for this team is passion … and effort … and spirit … and indomitable will
Wanna them to say … this is our house … and plant the stake … so they learn how to draw a line in the sand
Wanna them contest every dribble … every pass … every shot … every rebound … so they learn to win the war … by winning battles
Wanna them attack … and attack … and attack … so they learn how boulders become rocks … and then pebbles
Wanna relentless pressure … baseline to baseline … from tipoff to buzzer … so they learn how to conquer fatigue
Wanna them to fail … and try again … and again … and again … so they learn how it is you get better
Wanna them get hit … and knocked down … get up … and hit back … and keep hittin back … so they learn how to weather the storm
Wanna them dig deep … and then dig deeper … and then dig deeper yet … so they learn what it is they can be
Wanna them to hear the whispering of fate come a visiting … carrying a touch of magic … and a glimpse of what might be … as it was for others … some 6 years ago …

[i]March 8, 2005 … Springfield Missouri … campus of Missouri State … late in the evening … championship game of the Mid Continent Conference … #1 seed Oral Roberts vs 7 seed Oakland from Michigan …

Oakland with 12-18 record … loser of their 1st 7 games …At Xavier …at Illinois …Marquette …at Tex AM …at Mizzu…at Kansas State …at St Louis … trailing late in the game … losing every refs call … coming in 2nd for every loose ball … plagued by foul troubles … nervous …tired …
Somehow someway … thru hustle … manic effort … floor burns … scrapping fighting clawing … just extraordinary desire … and an absolute simple refusal to be chased home … got Fate to cross the court to their side … and touch a substitute named Pierre Dukes …who had to be persuaded by his coach to return for his senior year even tho he wouldn’t be playing much …
Somehow someway … Pierre fought thru a screen as the clock wound down to zero… somehow someway … made a miralculous save of a desperate pass … somehow someway … was able to turn to the basket … able to square his feet … set his body … freeze the defender … gather himself … and somehow someway … find within himself … whatever it is one finds at moments like this … courage … faith … confidence … belief … … and with perfect form launches himself into the air … controlled … calm … commitment etched on every facet of his face … in one fluid move … in the southeast corner of the court… behind the 3 pt line … just a tick left on the clock … arc a gently backspinning shot towards the basket … he knew … I knew … anybody watching knew … something magical was about to happen … all that was left was the confirmation …that magic… wandering about on its endless journey … had decided to rest for a moment and settle here … in this place … at this time … for a moment no longer than a blink of the eye … confirmation came as the ball dropped gently thru the net … Oakland … with a record of 12-18 … was off to the dance …[/i]

What I wanna for this team … is what I wanna for my daughters Abbey and Jess … somehow someway …wanna them to be unafraid … to be free … to reach for the stars … and quest for glory

Is this supposed to be put to music or something? ???

kind of epic for a first post here, but I like it. I just want an NCAA tourney bid 3 out of 5 years. Don’t care how we get there as long as it’s done the right way.

Welcome back Rokk?

Not even close. “Wanna” notwithstanding (and it’s understandably used for effect), this guy can spell and his post doesn’t require a translator.

Nope, not Rokk. Welcome to the board JR! :slight_smile:

Certainly not Rokk…

But i “wanna” some of what this dude is smoking. Sounds like a perfect person to take over the Positive Vibe threads when I get tired of posting them. :slight_smile:

CHAMPS 08???

Well, I’m certainly psyched. Keep up the passion. :slight_smile:

Post of the year, and the replies? I have tears in my eyes from laughing. jlr820, you’re an applicant? You got the job. :wink:

[quote="bstanf, post:4, topic:2490"]Welcome back Rokk?[/quote]

Not even close. “Wanna” notwithstanding (and it’s understandably used for effect), this guy can spell and his post doesn’t require a translator.

Maybe this is what a Rokk (William) post would look like if someone sneaked into his home office and pried the “CAPS LOCK” key off of his keyboard.

Not Rokk. Here is his response when I asked him if he would be returning to the forum now that ED is gone:

nope fuck those iduiots

;D

[quote=“noobd, post:12, topic:2490”]Not Rokk. Here is his response when I asked him if he would be returning to the forum now that ED is gone:

[quote]nope
f— those iduiots[/quote]

;D[/quote]

I respect his decision to stand by his foolhardy “22 years 22 months” comment. I really thought he was going to use the “now that ED is gone, all bets are off” defense and show up back here.

[quote="noobd, post:12, topic:2490"]Not Rokk. Here is his response when I asked him if he would be returning to the forum now that ED is gone:

[quote]nope
f— those iduiots[/quote]

;D[/quote]

I respect his decision to stand by his foolhardy “22 years 22 months” comment. I really thought he was going to use the “now that ED is gone, all bets are off” defense and show up back here.

He stands by bets that don’t require him to 1. Peel off any cash and 2. Publicly identify himself.