PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What I see from this team

Battle is still Battle. Jackson is still Jackson. We know what to expect from these two.

Brooks seems more engaged and more composed. Problem is that he still prefers to play from the perimeter. PSU needs somebody that can take his man to the basket. This is where we’ll miss Edwards this year.

Jones hasn’t shown improvement that you would expect as a senior.

Frazier still has no offense. He’s amazingly quick but he has no outside shot and he almost always looks to pass when he penetrates. Opponents can defend him because they don’t respect him as a scorer. He’s only a sophomore but I’m losing hope that he’ll ever become an offensive threat.

No proven perimeter shooter like Pringle or Babb. PSU is going to have problems unless Woodyard or somebody else steps up.

Buie looks like he’s desperate to score. Wild shots and little discipline. He needs to get stronger too. It’s unfair to expect so much from him as a freshman.

PSU could really use a big man that can play with his back to the basket. We’ll miss Sasa and guys like Oliver aren’t the answer. The only good news is that the injury gives Sasa another year to mature.

The weave from the arc isn’t an exciting offense. Putting your back on somebody and blocking out still seems to be a problem. Ugh!

I hate to say it, but I don’t expect more than 6 conference wins. Next year will be worse. We lose Battle, Jackson, Jones, & Brooks. Who do we have to replace these guys? Can you say juco?

I really liked reading what you had to say and thought your analysis was fair. I looked at Pomeroy’s projections and he has us getting 15 wins prior to the Big Ten tournament. I think that’s reasonable. From what I’ve seen so far it seems like we could be in the NIT. Like you say next year will definitely be worse. you can’t lose 4 senior starters and replace them in one season. We will be a very young team so if we don’t make noise this season it could be a long wait until we do.

This is your reaction to tonight’s game? This is probably the most complete game that we’ve played in 2 years. Look at the defense, this looks like a totally different team at that end of the court. With all the talk about who is scoring, people are missing how much we’ve improved on making our opponents work for their looks.

While it’s exciting to see the team play well, I don’t want to get too excited. We THINK Fairfield is going to be a good team. But who knows, they could wind up having a miserable season, making this win a bit less impressive. I certainly hope they make us look good and go undefeated the rest of the way now :slight_smile:

I too have been raving about the defense early on, albeit not against the toughest of competition. My problem with the team is I still after 7 years or however long Ed has been around, see the same old stale offense. No structure, lots of standing around on the perimeter, passing the ball around on the perimeter till someone has an open look. I am ecstatic about the D, guys are playing well, rotations much better, and not a ton of open looks for the other guys. The other thing it seems we hear every year is how much quickness we have and how we are going to get out in transition and run the ball. And every year, this one included, it never seems to come to fruition. The offense is what has me worried.

The thing is, the offense has never been that bad. It may not look pretty, but it seems to be an offense that limits turnovers and scores enough that we’re usually respectable in the effeciency numbers. It’s the defense that has killed us in the past. My feeling going into the season was that our success would come down to our improvement on defense. Through 3 games, we’ve improved tremendously.

I disagree with a lot of what you’re saying here, and really wonder how much of this team you’ve seen so far this year.

Until tonight Brooks had taken about 1 3-pointer. He took them tonight because he was wide open on all of them, and obviously he has improved on that shot, they were all beautiful shots. Tonight alone is going to help him get inside even more easily because teams have to respect him all over the court now, you have no idea what tonight might do to improve his game from a scouting perspective.

Jones doesn’t get many opportunities on offense, but he’s scrappy on the boards and solid defensively - how many charges will he take this year? He might break the team record. He even had a nice post move late in the game when given the chance. His hands stink, no question - but I think he’s important to this team.

Frazier is doing everything that’s being asked of him and more. You have any idea how much easier life is for TB right now? You notice how pathetic we looked tonight when Frazier wasn’t in? That’s because we go back to the “watch Talor” offense. Tell me how teams have defended Tim so far when he could have easily had 12 assists tonight if some wide open shots weren’t missed. He’s a floor leader out there, and he even made some foul shots for us. In his defense, his 1st three pointer was blocked/tipped, and the second looked good but came up very short. Still, when he gets into the paint that rips a defense open. He’s got a ways to go, but the progression from season 1 to 2 is amazing so far.

No shooter like Babb? Babb wasn’t exactly lights out last year, especially when we needed him to be. And besides, we lost a lot of games last year - why would you want to play that style again this year?

Mostly agree on Buie, his biggest problem seems to be on his shoulders but I am hopeful he’s get it together with more minutes this year.

I’ll agree we could use a back to the basket guy also, but who couldn’t? How many legitimate guys are there in d-1 anymore that do this? Maybe a dozen? We can survive with the guys we have, we have to so deal with it. And you think rebounding is a problem we’re still having? Tonight was one example of bad rebounding, can you name another the last 2.5 seasons? We’re a great rebounding team, you don’t know what you’re saying with that point (and many others).

Appreciate your insights, but you can’t back up most of what you’re saying here and I’m not convinced you’ve seen more than a handful of minutes this year before you decided to make this post.

This to me looks like as good a team as the one that won the NIT just two years ago, with the potential to be better. The only problem is that the Big 10 is incredibly good this season, and our OOC is much tougher than two years ago - so unfortunately we might be destined to make the NIT again even with a much improved season. I like our chances though and expect an entertaining season with a lot of effort being shown - I think these guys are going to let it all hang out, and let’s just see where the chips fall.

Note to Craftsy, Frats, and bballguy

If you are going to try to carry a conversation on with someone in your thread, please quote them so we might have some idea who the “you” is that each of you are referring to.

If you are going to try to carry a conversation on with someone in your thread, please quote them so we might have some idea who the “you” is that each of you are referring to.

Note to Lar:

You REALLY don’t know who we were all talking about? Quoting isn’t really necessary when it’s obvious who you’re responding to, I was trying to save some space given my response was going to be quite long. Think you’re nitpicking - you’re, meaning, you… Lar.

Note to Lar:

You REALLY don’t know who we were all talking about? Quoting isn’t really necessary when it’s obvious who you’re responding to, I was trying to save some space given my response was going to be quite long. Think you’re nitpicking - you’re, meaning, you… Lar.

I inferred who the “you” was based on the topic name… “What I see from this team”

Sorry, I thoght I was going to be the 1st response to this thread, which would have made it obvious. Instead, while I was typing, someone else got in before me. When I saw the warning when I went to submit my thread, I chose to take the easy way out instead of editing my thread.

You’re annoying ;D

:frowning:

LOL What if I reply to you, but in it I mention how HE really is annoying sometimes. How will he know who I’m talking about?

OK here’s my 2 cents as a new poster:

I also have been impressed by the D so far, haven’t given up many layups or uncontested shots. Everyone seems to have a good idea on how they’re supposed to be guarding the different screen types, as well as the opposing personnel. So far it appears to be a well-coached defense. How will we fare against better shooting teams? We shall see.
Brooks has obviously been impressive, hopefully he keeps bringing the aggression. The other 3 seniors look about the same, we’ll get a better idea about how their offseason went against better competition I think.

I think Cam could be the shooter we’re looking for. I’d just like to see him be more aggressive and confident. To me that’s what we’re missing the most. I keep thinking how nice it would be to just have someone like that D’Orazio kid from Lehigh, someone who can come in and just score.

Buie is clearly pressing, but you can’t blame him for trying to live up to his hype. I think he’ll get up to speed in time.

I’ve always disagreed with the offensive philosophy under Coach DeChellis. Too concerned bout running clock and not being aggressive. I don’t see much creativity demonstrated. Sometimes I just cannot understand what they’re trying to do, and I’m a coach. I would like to see DeChellis take a few pages out of his buddy Izzo’s book and draw up some quick hitters to run out of dead-balls.

With all that said, it’s hard to judge where we’re at and I’m certainly not ready to make a record prediction. I don’t think anyone knows much about this team yet. We won’t find out anything Monday, either. We’ll know a little bit after Mississippi, and a lot after Maryland and VT.

Hope that wasn’t too long-winded!

Sorry, I thoght I was going to be the 1st response to this thread, which would have made it obvious. Instead, while I was typing, someone else got in before me. When I saw the warning when I went to submit my thread, I chose to take the easy way out instead of editing my thread.

Which is exactly why it’s good to get in the habit of quoting someone if you are going to respond to them. Use the quote and it won’t matter if someone beats you to the punch.

Note to Lar:

Sure I had a pretty good idea but I couldn’t be 100% sure. Plus if I wanted to follow the conversation, I have to scroll all the way back to the top of the thread to see what the original poster wrote in order to put the responder’s post in context.

Using the quote function makes it much simpler for people to follow conversations. It’s also reduces the likelihood of a miscommunication because something was taken out of context.

It isn’t like it’s any harder to quote a person. You simply click on a different button.

Being annoying sometimes more effectively gets the point across. Now that we’ve got over a half dozen responses to my comment, the likelihood of people remembering what I wrote goes up considerably,

And your dangling response gives me the perfect example of showing another reason why using the quote function is the preferred procedure. If someone is just scanning the thread and they see the “you’re annoying” they have no clue to whom that’s directed. They will have to go back and pretty much read the entire thread to understand what’s going on.

If, however, you had quoted me, they would have seen your remark in context and understood immediately what was going on.

Using the quote function is a forum courtesy that should be extended to other posters.

[quote=“Saints23, post:15, topic:1523”]I don’t think anyone knows much about this team yet. We won’t find out anything Monday, either. We’ll know a little bit after Mississippi, and a lot after Maryland and VT.[/quote]+1

This was a good OOC win. Fairfield had good athleticism at guard and their bigs fought very hard. Fairfield just did not make many outside shots. BUT, give credit to PSU’s defense. We defended well.
Brooks and Battle made shots. I don’t think Brooks is going to shots 3s like that all year.
All in all a good hard fought win. Senior lead. Learning to “win games” is good.