What does "ed want to run mean?"

I think it is hard for us to imagine that a dribble drive motion offense can be as effective as the Hoosiers five man weave we all learned as schoolboys (which I note for a lot of us was the 1960s).

As was saliently pointed out, when you are MSU (or Duke or Memphis State/UK), it looks good.

The chicken and egg issue is that you need to run it to get the kind of athletes you need to run it well. Talor, Tim F. are clearly on the way to that, and a lot of the other guys are just a notch back.

Thing is, it is just plain ugly when it is ineffective. Once the guys found themselves and their roles last year, it worked fine.

I think one of the keys to running a true Princeton style offense is having a center that can pull the other team’s 5 out of the post. When we have Jones/Ott on the floor, the other team isn’t going to respect their outside game and can just camp out in the paint and take away the outside game. If we decided to go smaller with someone like Brooks/DJ as our biggest guy, then it’s easier to run but we give away too much size.

Those Princeton teams in their prime, or a West Virginia a few years ago were so good because they had 5’s that could really shoot. A guy like Pittsnogle fit perfectly into that offense, since all 5 guys could knock down an open shot and thus there was always a ton of open space underneath.

I think that’s very true… I keep thinking about how much we complained early on about last year’s team, and look at what they were able to do in the end. That’s getting me through some of the times when we look like we haven’t got a clue.

[quote="Captain Cranky, post:8, topic:447"]Ok. Sorry if I was snippy. Just getting tired of too many people trying to coach from the sidelines.

Wondering why people can not just sit back and enjoy the games.

I am sure Ed has his vision. Just because he doesnt include people from an internet message board in one his vision, doesnt mean it doesnt exist.[/quote]

Well I’m glad you’re not snippy anymore.

Gee thanks.

Thats the first friendly thing anyone has ever said to me on here. :slight_smile:

I like your moniker, so that’s two friendly things. ;D How’d you come up with that?

It makes me think of cereal. I’m going to go get a bowl, but not the brand your moniker reminds me of. I didn’t like that one. Sugar induced comas were too regular.

I used to live in Arizona. Had my own company, now defunct, named it Coyote Systems. Half the biz’s in Arizona have Coyote in their name. Tried coyotekid on yahoo(these were early webmail days, '98), already taken, so was kidcoyote, but not kidcoyote_98, suggested by yahoo, so that be it ever since. Would like to change it, but see anguish Skeeza goes thru, formerly known as PSU4Ever, on every post reminding everyone on who he used to be, but not anymore, so decided against it. Not worth it.

To attempt to get me back on topic, great points frats on the TO’s going inside, but tonight’s passes were kind of sloppy at the arc. Talor threw a few away, couple other guys too.

The name closely resembles what my friends used to call me back in the day (replace Cranky with Crab*** and you have a match), and those who are around still call me. I read a post sometime ago and seeing the name made me laugh so hard and remember back when, that I just had to sign up as Capt. Cranky. Unfortunately, I am not nearly as Cranky as I used to be, although that may not be such a bad thing. :slight_smile:

I think it is because there is only so much practice time available.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:20, topic:447"]I think you're right. I just don't understand why teams that run can't have good 1/2 court sets, and visa versa.[/quote]

it’s not all X and Os. The players are human not robots. EVERY college team plays together almost the entire year. There is plenty of B-Ball class time and plenty of court time and plenty of quality coaching time. It’s about the kids and how well they play basketball. How well you run ANY offense is based on how well you play basketball. Good players run offenses well. Poorer players do NOT run offense well.
There is so much about playing that can not be taught (in the short term.) Physical skills are one element of a good basketball player the other element is how smartly the player plays the game. Smart players run offenses well. Not so smart run them not so well.
So you then need… players with good physical skill who play the game intelligently! that why you recruit. To get players with these 2 abilities.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:20, topic:447"]I think you're right. I just don't understand why teams that run can't have good 1/2 court sets, and visa versa.[/quote]

it’s not all X and Os. The players are human not robots. EVERY college team plays together almost the entire year. There is plenty of B-Ball class time and plenty of court time and plenty of quality coaching time. It’s about the kids and how well they play basketball. How well you run ANY offense is based on how well you play basketball. Good players run offenses well. Poorer players do NOT run offense well.
There is so much about playing that can not be taught (in the short term.) Physical skills are one element of a good basketball player the other element is how smartly the player plays the game. Smart players run offenses well. Not so smart run them not so well.
So you then need… players with good physical skill who play the game intelligently! that why you recruit. To get players with these 2 abilities.

I agree, but I think it goes beyond all this. I don’t know if it’s mentality, or what it is, but teams who like to run just aren’t as good at running 1/2 court sets. Maybe it’s a style thing… “running” often means overplaying the ball to get steals and turnovers and an “agrressive” style, while teams like Wisky beat you with dicipline. Often times diciplined and agressive in hoops are divergent views, so I can imagine that it would be tough for a team to be able to do both approaches with equal skill.

Good point Mark. Anything along the same lines is…Good coaches many times set offenses toward their players abilities (physical and mental.) Thus , they do one element well (say, running offense) but maybe not another element (1/2 court sets.)