PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What do we know about CCSU?

It seems like they’re a run n gun type team. They’re averaging more than 80 thus far. Two of their guys are averaging 20 ppg. I think PSU can run with them though. Hopefully Brooks keeps up his good play and PSU starts to get some more production off the bench.

They’re 3-0. Not very big - tallest player is a 6’9" freshman who doesn’t play much. Next biggest guys are 6’6". A guard (Shemik Thompson) and a forward (Ken Horton) are both averaging over 20 ppg.

So far they beat Hartford (0-3) on a neutral site, Army (3-1) on the road and UMBC (0-3) on the road. They were 12-18 overall last year and were 9-9 in the Northeast Conference.

They will try to run, run, run and outscore their opponents. However, their coach acknowledges that rebounding is and will be an issue.

Not much buzz about them - I don’t think they are expected to be very good this year. Local press in CT says the PSU game will test the team.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:2, topic:1530”]They’re 3-0. Not very big - tallest player is a 6’9" freshman who doesn’t play much. Next biggest guys are 6’6". A guard (Shemik Thompson) and a forward (Ken Horton) are both averaging over 20 ppg.

So far they beat Hartford (0-3) on a neutral site, Army (3-1) on the road and UMBC (0-3) on the road. They were 12-18 overall last year and were 9-9 in the Northeast Conference.

They will try to run, run, run and outscore their opponents. However, their coach acknowledges that rebounding is and will be an issue.

Not much buzz about them - I don’t think they are expected to be very good this year. Local press in CT says the PSU game will test the team.[/quote]

Thanks GS. I figured that PSU should roll in this game. I just hope they use a deep bench.

According to Pomeroy:

They play little defense (274th in adjusted defensive efficiency) particularly against the three (giving up threes at a 42.1% rate, 301st in the country). The first bodes well for us, the second may not matter since we can’t seem to shoot them anyway. They are also one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in the country (297th), which is no surprise since they aren’t very tall, so Jones and crew should look for the opportunity to score on putbacks.

They are a good blocking team however, rejecting over 15% of opponents attempts (33rd ranked), which seems surprising given their lack of height.

On offensive, they have a high effective field goal percentage of 56.6% (29th) which is often the sign of a good three point shooting team. In Central CT case, that’s somewhat true in that they shoot threes at a 38.1% rate, but they are also very effective with their two point shooting at 56.3% (36th ranked). They do, however, get blocked a fair amount (size problem again), so here’s another chance for Jeff to pad his block totals. It almost seems if they don’t get blocked, it goes in (that’s an exaggeration but 63% of their unblocked two pointers are makes).

Like Penn State, they are a deliberate team (adjusted tempo of 67.2 which makes me question Santini’s observation that they will “run, run, run”), so we can once again expect a low scoring affair unless both teams get spectacularly efficient with their shooting.

ccsubluedevils.com: Men’s Basketball Picked Fourth in NEC Preseason Coaches Poll; Horton Selected to Preseason Team

I’m not sure that is an accurate assessment. While they have scored over 80 twice, they did it through quality not quantity.

Both PSU and Central CT, have played three games. I don’t think anyone would call us a run and gun type team, yet we have 12 more shot attempts than they have (178 vs 166). The difference is that CCSU has 12 more makes than we do (82 vs 70) including 8 more threes (24 vs 16) and 15 more made foul shots. That’s how they’ve scored 47 more points than us (8 more pts on twos, 24 more pts on threes, and 15 more pts on fouls).

CCSU is playing at a 64.4 possession pace, while PSU is at 64.1. Unless you are ready to label us a run and gun squad, you can’t call them one.

Here’s an article that appeared in the New Britain (CT) Herald last night.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2010/11/22/sports/doc4ce9e7e7981a6777318398.txt

[quote=“Great Santini, post:7, topic:1530”]Here’s an article that appeared in the New Britain (CT) Herald last night.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2010/11/22/sports/doc4ce9e7e7981a6777318398.txt[/quote]

From the article:

“Dickenman wants Central to focus on getting the ball up the court quickly…”

" ‘We’re going to try and sprint with the ball,’ Dickenman said."

Not only do they walk our walk (i.e. pace), they have a coach who talks our talk. ;D

From PSU’s Media Day (the one that counted, in State College, not the other one, in the Windy City ;D )

From Dave Jones column: “DeChellis stressed they must pump their plodding tempo”

From Sean Fitz’ blog: “They want to be a little more up tempo this year”.

Saw them last year on the tube (TV.) I remember them really hustling and playing fast. Very small and not particularly skilled but lots of speed/quickness.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:1, topic:1530"][b]It seems like they're a run n gun type team[/b]. They're averaging more than 80 thus far. Two of their guys are averaging 20 ppg. I think PSU can run with them though. Hopefully Brooks keeps up his good play and PSU starts to get some more production off the bench.[/quote]

I’m not sure that is an accurate assessment. While they have scored over 80 twice, they did it through quality not quantity.

Both PSU and Central CT, have played three games. I don’t think anyone would call us a run and gun type team, yet we have 12 more shot attempts than they have (178 vs 166). The difference is that CCSU has 12 more makes than we do (82 vs 70) including 8 more threes (24 vs 16) and 15 more made foul shots. That’s how they’ve scored 47 more points than us (8 more pts on twos, 24 more pts on threes, and 15 more pts on fouls).

CCSU is playing at a 64.4 possession pace, while PSU is at 64.1. Unless you are ready to label us a run and gun squad, you can’t call them one.

The differnce may also be in rebounding. We have 25 more rebounds than CCSU, which may lead to 25 more shot attempts. CCSU also has about 20 more FTs, which means their shots were negated by fouls.

I guess you would have to compare POSSESIONS as compared to shots.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:1, topic:1530"][b]It seems like they're a run n gun type team[/b]. They're averaging more than 80 thus far. Two of their guys are averaging 20 ppg. I think PSU can run with them though. Hopefully Brooks keeps up his good play and PSU starts to get some more production off the bench.[/quote]

The differnce may also be in rebounding. We have 25 more rebounds than CCSU, which may lead to 25 more shot attempts. CCSU also has about 20 more FTs, which means their shots were negated by fouls.

I guess you would have to compare POSSESIONS as compared to shots.

I did.

“CCSU is playing at a 64.4 possession pace, while PSU is at 64.1.”

The only thing I know about CCSU is what I got from looking at their recruiting. They either get 1 star or zero stars prospects to play basketball for them. This is a game where we should blow them out. A loss would be stunning.

Penn State Men’s Basketball: Next Game Primer with Dan Earl - Central Connecticut State

I remember rushing the Rec Hall court when Danny Earl was a freshman. Seeing this sure makes me feel old.