What did we learn from B10 vs. ACC Challenge?

PSU > UVA - nice rebound game for PSU. Battle was great and Frazier showed promise as well as some rookie mistakes. PSU still hasn’t shown much on the inside.

NW > NC State - NW off to an impressive start this season without Coble. They beat Iowa State & Notre Dame and only lost to Butler. Shurna has been outstanding.

Purdue > Wake - Purdue has to be the favorite int he B10. Johnson & Hummel are a great combination.

Indy < Maryland - lots of new promising talent, but its still young and inexperienced.

MSU < NC - 5-2 record vs. a tough schedule (beat Gonzaga, lost to Florida). Need to get stronger down low but this is still a top 25 team.

Iowa < Va Tech - Iowa has a lot of rebuilding to do, onlu 2-5 on the season.

Illinois > Clemson - what a comeback. This should be a tournament team.

Minny < Miami - 3 losses already is disappointing, especially with their big men.

Michigan < BC - 3 losses for Michigan too. What do they have after Manny Harris? Possibly over rated.

Wisc > Duke - what a great win. Just one loss to Gonzaga this year. They have a shot at the conference title, but I’m still not sold on their big guys shooting from the perimeter.

OSU > FSU - Only loss was a close game vs. NC. This team is loaded with more talent than any team in the conference. The only question is maturity / experience.

IMO, the B10 conference will come down to Purdue and Ohio State, with Michigan State and Wisconsin also having a shot. Illinois would be my dark horse.

My thoughts:

I think MSU is at least a top 15 team and has as good of a shot as anyone to win the Big Ten. Purdue and OSU are definitely up there as well.

I do believe Minny and Michigan were overrated in the preseason polls, but I think Michigan still could be a top 25 squad by the end of the year and likely will make the tourney. I’m not sold on Minny yet, especially after how they ended last season. I also think the Illini are a top 25 team as well and perhaps a darkhorse in the Big Ten title chase. Wiscy is Wiscy, they do this every year.

[quote=“NYJJared, post:2, topic:408”]My thoughts:

I think MSU is at least a top 15 team and has as good of a shot as anyone to win the Big Ten. Purdue and OSU are definitely up there as well.

I do believe Minny and Michigan were overrated in the preseason polls, but I think Michigan still could be a top 25 squad by the end of the year and likely will make the tourney. I’m not sold on Minny yet, especially after how they ended last season. I also think the Illini are a top 25 team as well and perhaps a darkhorse in the Big Ten title chase. Wiscy is Wiscy, they do this every year.[/quote]

Agreed. IMO, likely that PSU can beat all Big 10 teams except for 3, but I’d put Wisky, OSU and MSU in that group. Purdue has slower guards. Yes, Kramer can play D, but IMO, Battle and Frazier together might be too much quickness for them, and I’d like to see DJ post up Hummel. Minny is overrated, and Michigan starts one player over 6’5", using a 4 guard offense. Big guards, yes, but still smallish team. Good team to have PSU guys post up, like DJ.

Minny and Michigan look beatable:

Above PSU – MSU, Illinois, Purdue, Wiscy, OSU – I just don’t see PSU finishing above them this year. Maybe a shot at Illinois considering PSU historical success, but the other four I don’t see it.

Below PSU – Indiana and Iowa – PSU should be able to beat them and finish above them.

What makes or breaks PSU season – NW, Michigan, and Minny. PSU can beat them and finish above them, they are #6 in the Big Ten and that means they go dancing this year considering what should be a strong conference RPI. And yes I know about last year but am assuming with the slightly better schedule and the fact that if PSU can’t beat Temple and Va Tech, most likely are not going to fair well in the Big Ten schedule either. This is assuming that with Edwards in the fold and getting more healthy and Ed figuring out a style and line-up, that the UVA game is going to be more the norm.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:4, topic:408”]Minny and Michigan look beatable:

Above PSU – MSU, Illinois, Purdue, Wiscy, OSU – I just don’t see PSU finishing above them this year. Maybe a shot at Illinois considering PSU historical success, but the other four I don’t see it.

Below PSU – Indiana and Iowa – PSU should be able to beat them and finish above them.

What makes or breaks PSU season – NW, Michigan, and Minny. PSU can beat them and finish above them, they are #6 in the Big Ten and that means they go dancing this year considering what should be a strong conference RPI. And yes I know about last year but am assuming with the slightly better schedule and the fact that if PSU can’t beat Temple and Va Tech, most likely are not going to fair well in the Big Ten schedule either. This is assuming that with Edwards in the fold and getting more healthy and Ed figuring out a style and line-up, that the UVA game is going to be more the norm.[/quote]

I agree with your assessment of teams above, below, and comparable to PSU. The problem is that PSU has no inside presence at all. Jones is not an enforcer on defense and he is no threat on offense (he can get easy baskets from Battle’s assists, but he can’t create his own shot). The best we can expect is 6-7 rebounds per game. Jackson plays hard but he’s not a top talent. Brooks prefers to play on the perimeter (not a fighter inside). Edwards is the only “big” man with the ability to take his man to the basket.

We also need Babb & Frazier to shoot the ball better.

If those 3 things happen PSU could finish 6th in the B10. If not, PSU could finish 9th or 10th.

Not seeing how 4 wins against 0-5 Florida Gulf Coast, 3-4 UMass, 1-6 Toledo and 3-4 Valpo consitutes one being impressed by the Saprtans’ “tough schedule”. Aside from a home win against Gonzaga, Michigan State has done little to impress this year. The Lions’ win at UVA is more impressive than any of the four mentioned above.

So, does that mean we should be impressed that they beat Gonzaga? Good thing they have that one win.

MSU has not had a good start to the season. Pre-season ranked #2 to where they are now is a pretty big fall. Not only that, but they don’t look real good playing out there. It’s not like when I watched them I saw a huge talent level on the floor and it was just a matter of getting some things worked out and a guy back from injury type situation.

[quote="NYJJared, post:2, topic:408"]My thoughts:

I do believe Minny and Michigan were overrated in the preseason polls, but I think Michigan still could be a top 25 squad by the end of the year and likely will make the tourney. I’m not sold on Minny yet, especially after how they ended last season. I also think the Illini are a top 25 team as well and perhaps a darkhorse in the Big Ten title chase. Wiscy is Wiscy, they do this every year.[/quote]

Agreed. IMO, likely that PSU can beat all Big 10 teams except for 3, but I’d put Wisky, OSU and MSU in that group. Purdue has slower guards. Yes, Kramer can play D, but IMO, Battle and Frazier together might be too much quickness for them, and I’d like to see DJ post up Hummel. Minny is overrated, and Michigan starts one player over 6’5", using a 4 guard offense. Big guards, yes, but still smallish team. Good team to have PSU guys post up, like DJ.

Do you mean beat in a game or beat in the standings. This team can beat anyone in a single game if they play well.

Do you mean beat in a game or beat in the standings. This team can beat anyone in a single game if they play well.

…and can also LOSE to anyone if we don’t play well.

But that’s what makes them fun to watch, no??

Well, I meant beat them in a game. But if they pick up several they’re not expected to win, they’ll do alright in the standings. But beat a Purdue, a Minny and Michigan and maybe an IL, things will look much better. I just think some matchups are bad, like MSU, OSU and Wisky. No problem for Battle v. Lucas, but MSU has a lot more than that. I mean Summers, Allen, Morgan, Roe, lots of good players. We’ll see.

Well, I meant beat them in a game. But if they pick up several they’re not expected to win, they’ll do alright in the standings. But beat a Purdue, a Minny and Michigan and maybe an IL, things will look much better. I just think some matchups are bad, like MSU, OSU and Wisky. No problem for Battle v. Lucas, but MSU has a lot more than that. I mean Summers, Allen, Morgan, Roe, lots of good players. We’ll see.

We face a HUGE problem in that we only go up against Iowa and Indiana once each.

Good point Lar about the schedule. Did anyone every get more info about the schedule? I know the league said it was “random.” What does that mean" Do you random pick every year? Does not seem to make sense? The league has gone to an 18 game schedule. It seems like an easy job to have non random schedules set up years in advance rotating one game teams? Is this being done?
I checked back a few years. (Please, somebody can double check my data, I may not be correct.) BUT last year in a 18 game schedule we played NW and tO$U once. In the prior year (07-08) We played NW and Minny once. Why the repeat of NW in back-to-back years?
In 06-07 we played a 17 game league schedule. SCum, MSU and Minny were played once.
Help!