PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

What can be done to the BJC to make it a better basketball venue?

I think one of our issues is that the BJC just isn’t a great basketball venue and doesn’t give us much of a home court advantage. What, if anything, could be done to make the BJC a better hoops venue?

The home team at the BJC could win more games.

Seriously, when the place is full and the team is winning it’s quite a fun basketball experience.

Tear it down and move back into Rec Hall.

Just win some games.

Ice over the court…fans will like “ice hoops” better!

I would not have a problem with the BJC being torn down but movin back to REC HALL IS NOT THE ANSWER!
PSU needs a HOOPS ONLY arena like The Liacouras Center!

[quote="jjepsu92, post:3, topic:2397"]Tear it down and move back into Rec Hall.[/quote]

I would not have a problem with the BJC being torn down but movin back to REC HALL IS NOT THE ANSWER!

Funny, says it’s a multi-purpose arena here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liacouras_Center

From Wiki…Liacouras Center is a small theater setup of 1,000 to 5,000 seats for more intimate presentations.

PERFECT :wink:

But, really…it will never work. How many people can pronounce “Liacourtas??” ???

[quote="jjepsu92, post:3, topic:2397"]Tear it down and move back into Rec Hall.[/quote]

Funny, says it’s a multi-purpose arena here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liacouras_Center

::slight_smile: Of course it can be used for concerts too, even Rec Hall hosted concerts. But the Liacouras Center was built for basketball, just like the PETE @ Pitt! And please don’t tell me the BJC was built just for PSU hoops.

This has been discussed before.

One of the problems with the BJC, aside from the dimensions and management, it the sterile feel to it. Outside of the logo on the floor, it has no “home” feel to it. It’s very generic.

First step that needs to be taken is to give the BJC a home court feel. Put the Penn State stamp on it. Many different ways to do it, but it’s not too difficult.

Unfortunately, the BJC’s sterile feel reflects University Park architecture generally, IMO. Big, shiny, impressive, even sometimes intimidating and imposing, and lacking in intimacy and warmth.

There won’t be a new BB venue built and we certainly aren’t returning to Rec Hall, so we have to figure out how to make the BJC as welcoming as possible.

Personally, I think the BJC is fine. Yeah, the upper-deck of it is a bit dark, far, and steep, but when it is filled it gets rocking.

I see too much blame on this board throughout the years placed on the BJC and how bad of a basketball venue it is. The truth is, if we have a winning product on the floor, it’s not a bad atmosphere.

The only thing I don’t like is how far away the upper deck “end zone” seats are from the floor. Not sure they could do it, but if possible, find a way to get the baseline seats on the floor. Maybe portable bleacher seats on each end for student seating?

Otherwise, I don’t think it’s all that bad. Perhaps better food?

[quote=“State4Life, post:12, topic:2397”]Personally, I think the BJC is fine. Yeah, the upper-deck of it is a bit dark, far, and steep, but when it is filled it gets rocking.

I see too much blame on this board throughout the years placed on the BJC and how bad of a basketball venue it is. The truth is, if we have a winning product on the floor, it’s not a bad atmosphere.[/quote]

What a lot of people don’t understand is that blame is not place SOLELY on one thing or another. It’s not ONLY because of our lack of tradition, or it’s not SOLEY based on our location, or not SOLELY based on our BIG EAST region, or SOLELY on the BJC, etc…

What you have to do is to look at EACH factor that limits the success, and try to improve it. Just saying “win and they will come” is far too much of a video game mentality. Winning, and building a successful program, comes from improving those factors.

The BJC needs improvement, no doubt. It creates as much of a festive environment as a birthday party at a dentist’s office.

If done right, the problems associated with games at a cavern like the BJC can be overcome. The thing is, the AD’s office is making no effort to have things done right, and that is what frustrates so many fans on this forum.

Dynamite.

Watching a game at the BJC often feels more like watching PSU at a neutral court than a true home game.

Bellefonte is closer to the court than lower-level corner seats.

The pep band needs to become a basketball band as opposed to a scaled-down Blue Band (instrumentation)

They also need to fix the condiment lines; there are huge backups there even during low-attendance games.

[quote=“PSUClassof2011, post:16, topic:2397”]Watching a game at the BJC often feels more like watching PSU at a neutral court than a true home game.

Bellefonte is closer to the court than lower-level corner seats.

The pep band needs to become a basketball band as opposed to a scaled-down Blue Band (instrumentation)

They also need to fix the condiment lines; there are huge backups there even during low-attendance games.[/quote]

Usually, there seems to be a fully staffed concession stand, with LOTS of workers behind the counter, but they all seem to be clueless about what they are doing.

I don’t mean to pile on, but this is the dead honest truth; I have been to many high school sporting events where the concession stand ran by the local booster club is far more organized than the ones at the BJC !!! :-[

::slight_smile: Of course it can be used for concerts too, even Rec Hall hosted concerts. But the Liacouras Center was built for basketball, just like the PETE @ Pitt! And please don’t tell me the BJC was built just for PSU hoops.

So when you said “hoops only” you didn’t mean hoops only. My mistake.

I think this would be one of the easiest things to do to create a better atmosphere.

The pep band plays a lot of the same tired 70’s rock ballads recycled from football field shows that they did when I was in the pep band over a decade ago, with a rather lackluster sound, mostly due to the acoustics of the BJC. Seriously, if I hear Pinball Wizard one more time, I’m gonna’ puke. They need new material, they need to be mic’d AND they need some changes in the instrumentation to better match the venue. They could also use a lot more energy and show a bit more antagonism towards the opposing teams when sitting in the stands not playing. Some games, there are more students in the pep band than in the student section, but unless it’s a timeout or postgame, you can’t even hear them.

Not to mention, the uniform for the pep band is TERRIBLE.

While we’re talking about the things that could be done other than the game on the court, how about some changes in the cheerleading, too. Seems like all they do is join in the cheers the student section initiates. Perhaps we could call them Cheerfollowers.

First thing they need to do is make the band smaller (yes, smaller)

Get rid of the marching band drums…this isn’t Beaver Stadium, and we don’t have to fill up a cavernous stadium with 100K+ people. Replace the marching band drums with a single drum-set. Again, it always felt like they were trying to make a miniature Blue Band inside the BJC.

More brass, more drums, higher tempo, higher energy.

The current director has breathed some new life into the song selection, and I don’t wanna take away credit for that. I just get the impression that the head of the Blue Band, whoever he is, is some old white guy who still insists the “the kids are really gonna love Jefferson Airplane when we play it this weekend” or something like that.

Long story short, whatever the ACC/GMU bands are doing, replicate it. It sounds/looks good on
TV, is even better in person, and really helps.