We've got a choice

Get behind the team, or let apathy take over. I choose to ride this out.
Penn State vs Indiana 1/21/10

I think apathy has already set in again. But I am going to stay on the ride in the hope that a reason will be given for the apathy to go away.

I don’t think it is a choice. I am about as optimistic as a person can be about PSU sports all around but this season has been a kick in the gut.

At least the Lady Lions are returning to what they should be.

NGameday, what is getting behind the team? Just agreeing with everything they’re doing?

Some years ago Herb Brooks came to the NY Rangers, after his Olympic win. The Rangers, who were so-so, suddenly became unbeatable under Brooks, and he joined the Rangers mid to late season. They were racing through the playoffs, sweeping teams, then ran into the Montreal Canadiens, who were doing the same, I guess in the semis. But they were supposed to, the Rangers weren’t. After the Rangers taking the 1st two games, and looking to repeat what they were doing, the Canadiens noticed something the Rangers were doing. In hockey, when taking it up the ice from your end, you typically take it up the sides, so losing the puck isn’t so dangerous, so that’s where the checkers are. What the Rangers were doing, was taking it up the center, leaving them unchecked for a bit. The Canadiens figured it out, changed their play, and won the next 4.

In watching PSU bball, to put it bluntly, they need to make adjustments. More of doing the same, struggling to get a halfcourt offense going, is not going to work. So yes, while I think most are behind the team, if they continue to struggle to do the same, tired halfcourt offense, with zero post play, it’s going to get ugly. If Ed doesn’t recognize this, IMO, he’ll be gone. In the hockey analogy, the Canadiens could’ve kept doing the same thing, but had a coach smart enough (Jacques Lemaire if I remember correctly) to notice what was and wasn’t working, and what the other team was doing. Ed needs to do the same. If Lemaire could do it in a best of 7 series, down 2-0, Ed does not have to wait til season’s end.

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:677"]Get behind the team, or let apathy take over. I choose to ride this out.[/quote]

NGameday, what is getting behind the team? Just agreeing with everything they’re doing?

Some years ago Herb Brooks came to the NY Rangers, after his Olympic win. The Rangers, who were so-so, suddenly became unbeatable under Brooks, and he joined the Rangers mid to late season. They were racing through the playoffs, sweeping teams, then ran into the Montreal Canadiens, who were doing the same, I guess in the semis. But they were supposed to, the Rangers weren’t. After the Rangers taking the 1st two games, and looking to repeat what they were doing, the Canadiens noticed something the Rangers were doing. In hockey, when taking it up the ice from your end, you typically take it up the sides, so losing the puck isn’t so dangerous, so that’s where the checkers are. What the Rangers were doing, was taking it up the center, leaving them unchecked for a bit. The Canadiens figured it out, changed their play, and won the next 4.

In watching PSU bball, to put it bluntly, they need to make adjustments. More of doing the same, struggling to get a halfcourt offense going, is not going to work. So yes, while I think most are behind the team, if they continue to struggle to do the same, tired halfcourt offense, with zero post play, it’s going to get ugly. If Ed doesn’t recognize this, IMO, he’ll be gone. In the hockey analogy, the Canadiens could’ve kept doing the same thing, but had a coach smart enough (Jacques Lemaire if I remember correctly) to notice what was and wasn’t working, and what the other team was doing. Ed needs to do the same. If Lemaire could do it in a best of 7 series, down 2-0, Ed does not have to wait til season’s end.

Good point, Kid. I’m curious to see ED’s rotation on Thursday. Its the last game for a while where the talent level is even. Might be the last opportunity to give some of the bench players major minutes (before MSU, PU, OSU, etc).

I’m not saying that I’m sitting around handing out free passes. I understand what it’s like when we’ve got some questionable coaching, or dumb passes. I’ve blogged pretty hard on them as of late…But at the same time, even though it has sucked to lose, I’m still there supporting the players. I dont agree with everything…but I can’t just jump ship on them.

I guess it’s like the war…lots of people didn’t agree on why we are there. But you couldn’t hate on the soliders for doing their job. The player represent my school, and because of that I’ve got to root for them. It might suck, it might annoy me, but in the end…its all about Dear Old State.

I’ll admit I’m in a minority, that might be why I sleep in a tent for football… But I guess if I sit by and let it happen without seeming like I care about the program nothing will change. If all the fair weather fans leave there isn’t anybody left to say “hey, the program should be better than this” if everybody stands by the team and is passionate about it, people notice, and change can happen. Why would the program go out and get a great coach? It’ll cost money and big hard to do, nobody pays attention to the team and nobody makes enough noise to make them do it now. They have no motivation to go out and do it when the fans dont care.

If you leave, it’s your vote that you only care about it when it’s going well. If you stay it shows them that you care.

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:677”]Get behind the team, or let apathy take over. I choose to ride this out.
Penn State vs Indiana 1/21/10[/quote]

Very good video.

Let’s break the hex.

[quote=“NGameday, post:5, topic:677”]I’m not saying that I’m sitting around handing out free passes. I understand what it’s like when we’ve got some questionable coaching, or dumb passes. I’ve blogged pretty hard on them as of late…But at the same time, even though it has sucked to lose, I’m still there supporting the players. I dont agree with everything…but I can’t just jump ship on them.

I guess it’s like the war…lots of people didn’t agree on why we are there. But you couldn’t hate on the soliders for doing their job. The player represent my school, and because of that I’ve got to root for them. It might suck, it might annoy me, but in the end…its all about Dear Old State.

I’ll admit I’m in a minority, that might be why I sleep in a tent for football… But I guess if I sit by and let it happen without seeming like I care about the program nothing will change. If all the fair weather fans leave there isn’t anybody left to say “hey, the program should be better than this” if everybody stands by the team and is passionate about it, people notice, and change can happen. Why would the program go out and get a great coach? It’ll cost money and big hard to do, nobody pays attention to the team and nobody makes enough noise to make them do it now. They have no motivation to go out and do it when the fans dont care.

If you leave, it’s your vote that you only care about it when it’s going well. If you stay it shows them that you care.[/quote]

I think you have the wrong audience for this message. The fact that we are here posting on this board shows that we care.

[quote="NGameday, post:5, topic:677"]I'm not saying that I'm sitting around handing out free passes. I understand what it's like when we've got some questionable coaching, or dumb passes. I've blogged pretty hard on them as of late..But at the same time, even though it has sucked to lose, I'm still there supporting the players. I dont agree with everything....but I can't just jump ship on them.

If you leave, it’s your vote that you only care about it when it’s going well. If you stay it shows them that you care.[/quote]

I think you have the wrong audience for this message. The fact that we are here posting on this board shows that we care.

Kid was just asking if I that ment if I just agreed with everything they did. I was mearly being clear.

[quote="NGameday, post:5, topic:677"]I'm not saying that I'm sitting around handing out free passes. I understand what it's like when we've got some questionable coaching, or dumb passes. I've blogged pretty hard on them as of late..But at the same time, even though it has sucked to lose, I'm still there supporting the players. I dont agree with everything....but I can't just jump ship on them.

Goodness, hewey, you say more with less than anybody. If you’re not some kind of writer, you missed your calling.

I was just getting worked up I guess

Honestly kid you’re not the first person to say this to me.
However, you do have the opportunity to become the first one to be my benefactor.

I’m going to support the team 100%, nobody is pulling harder for them to win than me. But I will also be here to criticize them when they continually do things wrong that are very correctable.

I still believe this is as much talent as we’ve ever had at PSU at the same time, and it’s much more in our heads and on the chalkboard than in the players we’ve got. That gives me a lot of hope, but also means I am going to be much more critical when things don’t go smoothly.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:12, topic:677”]I’m going to support the team 100%, nobody is pulling harder for them to win than me. But I will also be here to criticize them when they continually do things wrong that are very correctable.

I still believe this is as much talent as we’ve ever had at PSU at the same time, and it’s much more in our heads and on the chalkboard than in the players we’ve got. That gives me a lot of hope, but also means I am going to be much more critical when things don’t go smoothly.[/quote]

This is not a knock on this season’s team, but I don’t think it is even close to the most talent PSU has ever had.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:12, topic:677"]I'm going to support the team 100%, nobody is pulling harder for them to win than me. But I will also be here to criticize them when they continually do things wrong that are very correctable.

I still believe this is as much talent as we’ve ever had at PSU at the same time, and it’s much more in our heads and on the chalkboard than in the players we’ve got. That gives me a lot of hope, but also means I am going to be much more critical when things don’t go smoothly.[/quote]

This is not a knock on this season’s team, but I don’t think it is even close to the most talent PSU has ever had.

Not going to go through the argument again. Just agree to disagree, but think people are severely underrating the talent based on wins and losses. Certainly this isn’t the best team we’ve ever had, I just happen to think we have more potential than any other PSU team I’ve seen - though it may not come out until late next season, if ever.