PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Welcome, Valdir Manuel 🔥

Corey Evans, Rivals.com’s national hoops recruiting analyst, says the Nittany Lions are picking up a valuable addition in Manuel.

“Hard, hard playing dude! He has a college-ready body and has a decent skillset from 12-feet and in,” Evans said. “High motor guy that runs the floor and is a good athlete around the basket. Shot blocker and rebounder that will impact the program immediately thanks to physical traits. Tone setter in the paint.”

4 Likes

Welcome Valdir!!

I like this. He’s had an interesting path, was ranked a top 50 recruit nationally at one point in 2016:

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Valdir-Manuel-at-St-Patrick-182389/RecruitRankHistory/

2 Likes

There was a good bit of talk about him on the SJU boards after he committed there last December. Adam Zagoria’s writeup at the time had some additional information worth noting:

Valdir Manuel, the 6-foot-9 Class forward from Harcum (PA) College and The Patrick School, has committed to St. John’s.Manuel initially committed to Seton Hall in March, and later pledged to St. Joe’s in July. After he was deemed academically ineligible for college, he enrolled at Harcum. At St. John’s, he will have three years of eligibility beginning in the 2019-20 season. A source said Manuel “has NCAA tasks he has to complete” and St. John’s “fully expects him to be cleared to play next season.

Do we know if he ever got cleared to play?

As far as Valdir’s skill set, he is probably the most unique player I’ve ever coached,” Harcum coach Drew Kelly said. “He’s incredibly skilled, but yet incredibly raw all at the same time. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that he picked up the game late and he’s only been playing for a few years. He has tremendous upside potential, perhaps more than any player I’ve ever coached (and I’ve had over 30 D1 signees at Harcum). If he puts in the work, he could be an all-conference player in the Big East.”

Very interesting, sounds like probably still a lot of untapped potential here. Let’s hope we can get the best out of him!

1 Like

“I feel like this is going to be the last [school I commit to],” he said. This is my last school. Me and coach [Pat] Chambers talk every day. I have a good GPA and I’m working very hard in school.”

Gotta like the first part!

3 Likes

Roar Lions Roar:
3-Star JuCo Center Valdir Manuel Commits to Penn State
The big man is headed to Happy Valley.

Huge pickup! Great news! Welcome, Valdir!

A front court of Harrar (sr), Valdir, and Abdou (HOPEFULLY! RS Fr) shouldn’t be as large of a drop-off as it first looked for next year. That seems serviceable with a decent front court.

2 Likes

Mark Brennan:

A source who has seen him play extensively described Manuel as being ready to compete physically and athletically from the moment he steps on campus. That is important because the team’s two best rebounders for the 2019-20 season — Lamar Stevens and Mike Watkins — are both seniors. Manuel is said to be a versatile big who can post up, face up and handle the ball well for his size.

1 Like

This is awesome. Welcome Valdir!!!

Over/under on times he’s called Vlad on this board between now and the time he shows up on campus…20???

1 Like